The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma 35mm F1.4

tashley

Subscriber Member
Lars, I am just working on a piece about DXO. I like their sensor reviews very much but their lens reviews seem not to take account of sample variation and quasi-endemic manufacturing issues, variations in field curvature with subject distance, aperture and focal length, focus shift, etc.

In other words, their tests provide incredibly useful and interesting data about how one copy of a lens behaves in a rather limited set of not really real-world circumstances.

My VW Touareg, in official EU tests, gets a combined mileage of 39mpg but I can't get it over a long term average of 30.5....

:wtf:

I am still curious to hear how Quentin's copy tests: I have had three asymmetrical ones and given up, Guy's had asymmetry too, as did Diglloyd's and Lensrentals... I have yet to hear of a copy other than the DXO one that behaved as it should...

EDIT: I am so attracted to the look of the lens wide open - but I would prefer a less stellar centre performance at mid apertures in exchange for (equally) sharp edges...

Lars

Yes, agreed. Sample variation seems to be a problem with Sigma. And the more fine-tuned the test (D800) the more obvious the variation. One would hope that Sigma will get it's production line to be more consistent. Quality control shouldn't be that hard.

I think Sigma really nailed it recently WRT bokeh - this lens, my 50/1.4, the 85/1.4 all are creamy smooth.

Now, about your lead foot... ;)

aztwang

So after 3 pages of reviews, comments and repairs, and updates,.... are the current models being sold spot on without issues?

Quentin_Bargate

Not only is it good, I believe Sigma is now on track to become the premier maker of high resolution premium quality dslr lenses.

It started (for me) with the astonishing Sigma DP2M, with edge to edge sharpness I had not experienced before with any other camera. This camera literally changed my expectations and even now it is so far ahead of any comparable camera (and other cameras one would not have though of as being in competition), I almost gave up shooting digital medium format. If you don't own one, my suggestion is to get one.

The DP1M and more recently the DP3M followed, each with outstanding lenses. Recently following the acquisition of my D800E I have enjoyed excellent results with the Sigma 85mm F1.4 and now the 35mm F1.4.

Sigma clearly know what they are doing.

Quentin

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Agreed that Sigma is onto something, and IMHO it isn't just "sharpness" and "resolution" but also character -- they do seem to have something Nikon does not always get:

>My Nikkor 35/1.4 G was sharp but had no juice;
>My Nikkor 50/1.4G is relatively sharp and has some juice;
>My Nikkor 85/1.4G is a freaking laser and has major mojo;
>This new 35 Sigma appears to be sharp and have juice;
>From experience on C, my 50/1.4 Sigma while not as sharp as my current Nikkor 50/1.4G, definitely had better juice.

Ergo, I am considering replacing my 50/1.4G with the Sigma 50 -- I use the 50 a lot. But then when I've had a good 35, I tend to use it instead of the 50 -- I rarely carry both -- so maybe I should just add the 35 Sigma? Decisions...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The Sigma is the one. It's got the juice but I do use 35 a lot. I'm after about 3 character lenses. The Sigma is one of them. My 25 Zeiss has some juice and I'm after the Zeiss 135 which looks to have it also. Than I have my working lenses 24-70, 50 1.8, 60 macro but selling and the 85 1.8 g . I'm probably selling my Nikon 70-200 f4 for the Zeiss 135 and rent the zoom when needed which is twice a year. My zoom is really good just rather have that 135 as that is right in my wheel house.

Tex

Subscriber Member
I've had the new 180 2.8 Sigma Macro since December and am extremely happy with it. Perhaps it has "juice" - it blows the ancient 200mm Nikon Macro out of the water. Built like a tank, very heavy and high quality.

vieri

Not only is it good, I believe Sigma is now on track to become the premier maker of high resolution premium quality dslr lenses.

It started (for me) with the astonishing Sigma DP2M, with edge to edge sharpness I had not experienced before with any other camera. This camera literally changed my expectations and even now it is so far ahead of any comparable camera (and other cameras one would not have though of as being in competition), I almost gave up shooting digital medium format. If you don't own one, my suggestion is to get one.

The DP1M and more recently the DP3M followed, each with outstanding lenses. Recently following the acquisition of my D800E I have enjoyed excellent results with the Sigma 85mm F1.4 and now the 35mm F1.4.

Sigma clearly know what they are doing.

Quentin
Agreed that Sigma is onto something, and IMHO it isn't just "sharpness" and "resolution" but also character -- they do seem to have something Nikon does not always get:

>My Nikkor 35/1.4 G was sharp but had no juice;
>My Nikkor 50/1.4G is relatively sharp and has some juice;
>My Nikkor 85/1.4G is a freaking laser and has major mojo;
>This new 35 Sigma appears to be sharp and have juice;
>From experience on C, my 50/1.4 Sigma while not as sharp as my current Nikkor 50/1.4G, definitely had better juice.

Ergo, I am considering replacing my 50/1.4G with the Sigma 50 -- I use the 50 a lot. But then when I've had a good 35, I tend to use it instead of the 50 -- I rarely carry both -- so maybe I should just add the 35 Sigma? Decisions...
I just finished reading the (so far) 3 pages of the thread, and I am glad that the "juice" bit got added to the "technical" bit that occupied the first part of the thread :D

I agree with Quentin that Sigma is onto something with the DP1, 2, 3 Merrills which I have and enjoy very much (the 3 is on its way). To me, 28-35 are very useful focals and ones I use a lot, but also (especially so with the 35) focals where it is difficult to find juice and character in a lens; the DP1 Merrill has a very good lens, and the Foveon results are incredible as far as micro-contrast and sharpness go, I'd like to see that coming out of my D800E as well in this range! ;)

I am working on my recent Death Valley images, and I found myself using a lot my 35 Nikkor, which is very good & sharp over the frame but so-so when it comes to character. I have been looking with interest at the Sigma 35, but I agree with Tim, controlled reviews are very limited in real-world representation of what a lens can or cannot do; plus, the QC issue scares me a bit. Not living in the US or UK, it is very difficult for me to try-repare-replace lenses, because techs here (Istanbul) have very little idea when it comes to high-end (and high-expectation) equipment, unfortunately. They'd just say "well, it focus, so it works" and that'd be enough for them... :wtf: (I still remember the war I had to put on to have my original D2x replaced when they couldn't get it to focus due to Nikon making a mess of the AF module...!). So, I normally get my equipment from Milan, Italy which is way better, but again I am not going there every other day so if I get a lens with problems I might get stuck with it for a long time: so, thank you very much guys for providing me with such an incredible amount of empiric, real world data on these - I really appreciate it a lot. :D

Tim, did you consider the Zeiss 35 f.14 or 35 f2? I tried them both briefly, and it seemed to me that there is a lot of character in the f1.4 - however, I didn't have time for a thorough test so I decided to keep my Nikkor instead.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Hi Vieri,
I haven't tried any other 35 on the D800 because for some reason it doesn't feel to me like a 'natural' length. This is totally illogical because on Leica M I use 35s a lot, and I love my RX-1, but the focal lengths I really like on the D800 are 24 and 80...

Regarding the Sigma, Quentin is lucky: his is literally the only one I have heard of that hasn't got some degree of decentring though I understand that Guy's is now fixed. But as a look lens it is utterly lovely, wide open it's gorgeous. I just find that the 35 setting on my 24-70 is notably sharper to the edges and pretty good on centre and my 28G is acutally very nice wide open and has a nice look too, and is a lot lighter.

vieri

Hi Tim,

since when lens love had to be logical! :ROTFL: Seriously though, I think there is an obvious connection between us and the equipment we use, which probably more than with focal lengths alone has to do with the gear itself and how it feels overall. Taking your 35mm as an example, I have followed your RX-1 "love" around the net and I think that you so enjoy the camera as a whole that you'd probably do so even if it was 30mm or 40mm (anything else being equal): I might be off and of course I don't intend to speak for you, but I know that's what happens to me and my equipment so I assume it would play at least a part with everyone else... some combination of cameras & lenses just feel "right" to me, while the same focal on another system would leave me cold; maybe is the specific 35 Zeiss made for the RX-1 that is so good that it made you want to get these results with your other system, so you could travel with one less piece of equipment in your bag, that prompted your 35mm quest (?). I found this especially true with this new batch of great high-quality compacts: for me, is the Sigma DP1 / DP2 Merrill, they are so good that I bring them along all the time with my Nikon kit, and while I'd love to find a D800E/compatible alternative lens, I am thinking I simply might not be able to... :rolleyes:

Lars

The 50 is great as a lens with character. Center is great wide open on my copy. Corners wide open have a lot of coma so don't go out shooting stars at night. It's mostly gone at f/2, completely gone at 2.8. Not a problem if you place the subject matter in the center and shoot wide open to isolate the subject. City street shooting at night is where you have to be a little careful.

My experience is on a D700, not sure how it holds up on D800.

If you want to borrow mine for a few days I can bring it to work next week.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Lars, that's a spectacular idea -- maybe you can get away for a long lunch and we'll do a mini comparison of the Sigma to the Nikkor G ;)

D&A

Lars, that's a spectacular idea -- maybe you can get away for a long lunch and we'll do a mini comparison of the Sigma to the Nikkor G ;)
I've used the Sigma 50mm for the longest time...mostly on a 12MP Nikon (D3s) and D700. Tried it briefly on D800 and wide open it's didn't quite have the acuity that it had on the lower MP body but it's characteristic signature and attractive bokeh was evident. It was clearly different from the Sigma 35mm which I briefly tested too on both bodies. The 35mm was exceptionally sharp over 80% of the frame when shot wide open, besting the Sigma 50mm. It's clarity and contrast was also greater than the Sigma 50.

As for the Sigma 50 vs. the Nikon 50mm G lens....somewhat of a toss-up in my opinion, with each having some minor strengths in one area that the other one lacks and visa versa.

Shooting these lenses on your own body and under conditons you're familar with, will be the best way to experiences their differences.

Dave (D&A)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
As for the Sigma 50 vs. the Nikon 50mm G lens....somewhat of a toss-up in my opinion, with each having some minor strengths in one area that the other one lacks and visa versa.
Dave, this was kind of what I figured --- that they're going to be close enough to call it a tie. Lars and I will give them a workout and report back.

D&A

Dave, this was kind of what I figured --- that they're going to be close enough to call it a tie. Lars and I will give them a workout and report back.
Jack, the biggest difference you might see between the two (the Sigma and Nikon 50's) is when each is shot wide open and a stop down from max. aperture. Not so much sharpness but the way each renders an image. These differences though will be accentuated when tested on a higher resolution camera like the D800/e.

Looking forward to yours and Lars test observations.

Dave (D&A)

Quentin_Bargate

Is the Sigma 35mm F1.4 sharp wide open?

A family snapshot over Sunday Lunch at a local pub of Bob, my Father in Law (also a self-portrait, as I am refelcted in Bob's eye!)

and a full size crop of the point of focus

There are some lenses that are not that sharp stopped down.

Other info: Nikon D800E @ ISO 560, F1.4, 1/250 sec

Quentin