Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 121

Thread: Zeiss 55mm 1.4... this is going to cost me

  1. #1
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,344
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Zeiss 55mm 1.4... this is going to cost me

    If only half of what this guy claims is true, this is a new standard that will be hard to avoid.

    Carl Zeiss Lenses - High-end SLR lens Distagon T* 1,4/55 - YouTube

  2. #2
    Administrator Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Prescott, Arizona
    Posts
    4,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    367

    Re: Zeiss 55mm 1.4... this is going to cost me

    Oh yes.
    Where do I stand in line?
    -bob

  3. #3
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,344
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Zeiss 55mm 1.4... this is going to cost me

    What I would really like is to try this on an FM3A with CMS 20

    But since I have an F6... I need $3,000 or whatever to buy the lens and a couple of weeks out in the wilderness. Anybody need a kidney?

  4. #4
    Member weinlamm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    229
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: Zeiss 55mm 1.4... this is going to cost me

    It should cost round about 3.000 Euro; don't know if the same in dollar or with the real exchange rate for 4.000 dollar. See here.
    __________________
    Christian
    P.S.: If your wife knows everything... it's mostly not good for your gear.

  5. #5
    Senior Subscriber Member Steen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Denmark, CPH
    Posts
    2,500
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    12

    Zeiss 55mm 1.4 ... this is going to cost me


    Don't you just love comparisons like this


    Click for larger size of this screen dump


    Screen dump

  6. #6
    Member weinlamm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    229
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: Zeiss 55mm 1.4... this is going to cost me



    Yes. In that moment I waited for "... on the right you see a picture with the actually 50/1.4 Planar...". But no... they showed an 50 years old lens...

    And I believe in the same aperture.
    __________________
    Christian
    P.S.: If your wife knows everything... it's mostly not good for your gear.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Moscow, Russia
    Posts
    419
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss 55mm 1.4... this is going to cost me

    I want this glass!

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Northampton, Ma
    Posts
    532
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss 55mm 1.4... this is going to cost me

    I wonder how this Zeiss will compare with the latest Leica 50/2 apo which is staking the same "best 50" territory albeit at f2.

  9. #9
    Workshop Member glenerrolrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Jupiter FL/Atlanta GA
    Posts
    2,279
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss 55mm 1.4... this is going to cost me

    When I was at ProPhoto Plus in NYC last Oct we were able to handle a prototype of this lens . It is about the same size as the Leica 70mm S lens. A totally different class of lenses from the Zf/Ze mounts in both performance but also in size .

  10. #10
    Not Available
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    53
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss 55mm 1.4... this is going to cost me

    Very interesting........and utterly useless information from Zeiss!

    I do not understand why Zeiss does not name the "50 conventional" lens. Which lens is it? Is it a Zeiss? Which one? The ZF 50/1.4?

    Which rubbish 50/1.4 produces such quality?
    This is really insulting the minds of photographers!

    And what seems to be the trick with super duper sharp lenses in the centre? Sigma 35/1.4 followed by Zeiss 55/1.4, followed by Zeiss 135 and now the launch of a new 85/1.4...now that would be a laugh having an 85/1.4 super sharp in the centre. And wait, a Wide Angle 1.4.

    Oh what the hell, I am selling all my Zeiss glass and getting the new Sigma "A" line and Zeiss 1.4 line....No, wait, I am keeping my Zeiss glass as it is turning vintage.....If my ZF2 85/1.4 is turning vintage then what should I classify my Biotar 75? Antique???

    Big Sighhhhh.

  11. #11
    Senior Member edwardkaraa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    1,470
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss 55mm 1.4... this is going to cost me

    Quote Originally Posted by Alon View Post
    Very interesting........and utterly useless information from Zeiss!

    I do not understand why Zeiss does not name the "50 conventional" lens. Which lens is it? Is it a Zeiss? Which one? The ZF 50/1.4?

    Which rubbish 50/1.4 produces such quality?
    This is really insulting the minds of photographers!

    And what seems to be the trick with super duper sharp lenses in the centre? Sigma 35/1.4 followed by Zeiss 55/1.4, followed by Zeiss 135 and now the launch of a new 85/1.4...now that would be a laugh having an 85/1.4 super sharp in the centre. And wait, a Wide Angle 1.4.

    Oh what the hell, I am selling all my Zeiss glass and getting the new Sigma "A" line and Zeiss 1.4 line....No, wait, I am keeping my Zeiss glass as it is turning vintage.....If my ZF2 85/1.4 is turning vintage then what should I classify my Biotar 75? Antique???

    Big Sighhhhh.
    That shot is in the extreme lower right corner so stop your drama
    M262 ZM 25/2.8 35/1.4 50/2 85/2

  12. #12
    Senior Member edwardkaraa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    1,470
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss 55mm 1.4... this is going to cost me

    Quote Originally Posted by innerimager View Post
    I wonder how this Zeiss will compare with the latest Leica 50/2 apo which is staking the same "best 50" territory albeit at f2.
    A better comparison would be with the 50/1.4 summilux. The Zeiss is still a bargain in comparison, especially if you calculate $/kg
    M262 ZM 25/2.8 35/1.4 50/2 85/2

  13. #13
    Not Available
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    53
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss 55mm 1.4... this is going to cost me

    Quote Originally Posted by edwardkaraa View Post
    That shot is in the extreme lower right corner so stop your drama

  14. #14
    Senior Subscriber Member Steen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Denmark, CPH
    Posts
    2,500
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    12

    Zeiss 55mm 1.4 ... this is going to cost me


    Quote Originally Posted by weinlamm View Post

    It should cost round about 3.000 Euro; don't know if the same in dollar or with the real exchange rate for 4.000 dollar. See here.

    ~ 3000 EUR for a manual focus 55mm ...


    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  15. #15
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,848
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss 55mm 1.4... this is going to cost me

    There is time to save your pennies. The Zeiss rep has sent me this:

    "We have not yet announced a formal launch date for the Distagon 1.4/55. I estimate delivery sometime late Q3 or early Q4 this year. "

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Northampton, Ma
    Posts
    532
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss 55mm 1.4... this is going to cost me

    Quote Originally Posted by edwardkaraa View Post
    A better comparison would be with the 50/1.4 summilux. The Zeiss is still a bargain in comparison, especially if you calculate $/kg
    Agree with both points!

  17. #17
    Member weinlamm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    229
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: Zeiss 55mm 1.4... this is going to cost me

    I heared from a friend "late summer". What ever this means... Q3/Q4 could be real. So it should be a good suggestion for your wife for christmas...
    I'm curious, what my wife will say...
    __________________
    Christian
    P.S.: If your wife knows everything... it's mostly not good for your gear.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Miami - New York
    Posts
    122
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss 55mm 1.4 ... this is going to cost me

    Quote Originally Posted by Steen View Post
    Don't you just love comparisons like this


    Click for larger size of this screen dump


    Screen dump
    Is this a joke? What a worthless comparison. Let's see them test it against other high end 50's like their own macro or a Leica R.

    When you get to $3000+ for a normal lens - there are other considerations to consider... for instance, for my needs a 2.8 lens would be fine as I only want it for hi-res landscapes. Who needs a manual focus 1.4? I have both 1.4 and 1.2 50's that I use for my lifestyle work and need AF for that. Not sure what Zeiss is thinking on this one?

    I'd be interested to see their whole lens lineup. Maybe we will see 50+mp Nikon and Canon bodies soon? What I'd like to see is a 20, 28 and 35mm 2.8 lenses of un-compromised quality instead.

    But it's certainly exciting.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Basel, Switzerland
    Posts
    265
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss 55mm 1.4 ... this is going to cost me

    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterSteve View Post
    Is this a joke? What a worthless comparison.

    ...

    Not sure what Zeiss is thinking on this one?
    +1

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,069
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    83

    Re: Zeiss 55mm 1.4... this is going to cost me

    Does look good, although some credibility is lost with the poor choice of the lens for comparison. Personally, I'm more interested in seeing the new 135mm f/2 Zeiss that was recently announced. This would be a great gap filler in the modern Nikon prime lens lineup.

    Another guys report...

    First Impressions: Zeiss 1.4/55mm Distagon | Vishal Sabharwal Photography

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Near Brussels, Belgium, Europe
    Posts
    541
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss 55mm 1.4... this is going to cost me

    Did have 5 seconds for making a few shots with it on my D800 at last Photokina.
    Even on such worthless shots I've seen the most perfect result at f1.4 so far, sharp with very beautifull background blur.
    This is a mind blowing lens

  22. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Miami - New York
    Posts
    122
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss 55mm 1.4... this is going to cost me

    Well I'm glad that Zeiss is stepping up to the plate and making lenses that are up to the demands of the latest sensors. Nothing is more frustrating than to have great cameras without lenses that are up to the task. Hopefully they will offer lenses other than the 50 1.4 very soon after they release that one.

    And hoping Zeiss doesn't forget shift lenses for us architectural guys :-)

  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    142
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss 55mm 1.4... this is going to cost me

    It is amusing how people write their judgements about a comparioson without knowing what kind of lens was used.

    So how do you know that the comparison photo is a very old lens. Why do you think that it is not the current Nikon 50/1.4 (just as an example).

    I would hesitate to bash on something without knowing the facts. Makes the criticism even more worthless

    And it is understandable that Zeiss does not disclose the name of the other lens. First, it is in some countries forbidden to make those comparisons, as soon as you name the other lens, second you can bet that the lawyers of the other company will try to stop this comparsison asap with all kind of tricks.

    So just wait and see until the first real users will show their own comparisons with their "old" 50/1.4 lenses. Than you can start bashing if you want to and if there are any arguments for bashing at all...

  24. #24
    Senior Subscriber Member Steen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Denmark, CPH
    Posts
    2,500
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    12

    Zeiss 55mm 1.4 ... this is going to cost me


    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterSteve View Post

    Well I'm glad that Zeiss is stepping up to the plate and making lenses that are up to the demands of the latest sensors. (...)

    I'd prefer to see more high res auto focus lenses optimised for high res sensors, like e.g. the two AF-S Nikkor 85mm G optics.
    And they do not necessarily need to be all that fast, Nikon, f/1.8 or f/2 is fine with me as long as they perform reasonably well wide open.
    Like e.g. an AF-S 135mm f/1.8
    Ok, an f/2 could do as well
    And for wide angles f/2.8 or f/3.5 is all the speed I need.
    But auto focus, please, if you ask me.

  25. #25
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,344
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Zeiss 55mm 1.4... this is going to cost me

    Most of those buying this lens would be people who don't need it and don't understand its value. They'll buy it because it's the most expensive and supposedly the best 50mm lens for 35mm ever made. But if that is what makes the world go round, so be it.

    Those who can really make good use of it are video users, studio and portrait photographers, landscape photographers and others who don't really care if it's AF or not. Yes, it would be nice if it was AF, but it isn't, and there's always the Nikkor, the Sigma and, for those who are into Canon cameras, the 50mm L.
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  26. #26
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Zeiss 55mm 1.4... this is going to cost me

    I looked at the video Jorgen linked and the other links.

    3,000 Euros for a lens that only took just one day to design and to actually make a working prototype (according to the youtube video) is a bit too much, IMO.

    Zeiss may be misled by the going prices for the discontinued 55/1.2 Contax Planar lenses?

    OTOH, it looks like the APO Sonnar 135/2 is a bargain.

  27. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    142
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss 55mm 1.4... this is going to cost me

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    I looked at the video Jorgen linked and the other links.

    3,000 Euros for a lens that only took just one day to design and to actually make a working prototype (according to the youtube video) is a bit too much, IMO.
    ...
    The price of a lens is not only determined by the time you need to design the lens, but a lot more how expensive it is to produce.

    If Zeiss is using for this 55/1.4 a lens design they basically already use in another existing product line, it does not surprise me, that it was possible to design it very fast in a different lens mount. The original design time was probably a year or more.

    We are talking about lenses, which are designed for sensors with 36MP upwards. Check prices for Medium Format lenses. With and without AF and 3000.- suddenly looks average or even cheap.

    If you find a 50/1.4 with the same IQ and build quality for less money, please show me and I buy it for my lens mount too. If I can save money I will. But unless someone can actually proove, that the same is possible cheaper, we should all be very cautious with criticism

    Nobody is forced to buy it. I do not know for myself whether I will have the funds to buy it. BUT if it turns out, that it is so much better than any other lens in this FL and I decide that I need a high MP sensor, then I rather save for 3 years to buy it. At the moment, I even do not want a D800 because these high MP are overkill for me. But the 55/1.4 on a 24MP APS-C sensor might be also nice

  28. #28
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Zeiss 55mm 1.4... this is going to cost me

    Unlike you, 4711, I am actually interested in buying one to use with a Speed Booster to get an effective 39mm f/1 lens on APS-C NEX (well, I am also interested in acquiring a 55/1.2 Planar). Yes, a full frame covering lens is needed for that. I would like to see some tech details of this lens first instead of some youtube blahblah (there are no details as to if the materials costs are sky high like you claim- may be you have some inside knowledge?). You know why medium format is not a volume seller?

  29. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    142
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss 55mm 1.4... this is going to cost me

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Unlike you, 4711, I am actually interested in buying one to use with a Speed Booster to get an effective 39mm f/1 lens on APS-C NEX (well, I am also interested in acquiring a 55/1.2 Planar). Yes, a full frame covering lens is needed for that. I would like to see some tech details of this lens first instead of some youtube blahblah (there are no details as to if the materials costs are sky high like you claim- may be you have some inside knowledge?). You know why medium format is not a volume seller?
    Hi

    please reread my posting. I did not say that I am not interested in buying this lens.

    No producer is showing the end user how much the production costs them. They decide for a price and will see afterwards, whether this decision (offering this lens and price target) was wrong or not.

    I do not knoww hat you do expect, but the whole Zeiss ZF/ZE/ZK/ZS line is not intended to serve the mass market. It was and will be always a small niche market with low sales volume and therefore high prices.

    If you think only economically, there is no reason to buy i.e. a Zeiss ZF 50/1.4, if you can have for a fraction of that price a Nikon 50/1.8G with AF. Still some people are buying the Zeiss lens.

    Some also buy a Sony RX1, which does not even has a viewfinder, although they could have a very good Fuji X100 for almost a third of that price.

    Each one has its own priorities. But if you want to have lenses, which deliver excellent IQ even with 40MP or 50MP fullframe sensors, I can predict without beeing an insider, that you will have to pay over 2000.- for each lens as long as the lens maker has only a niche volume and is not the producer of the body for cross-selling

  30. #30
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,344
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Zeiss 55mm 1.4... this is going to cost me

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    I looked at the video Jorgen linked and the other links.

    3,000 Euros for a lens that only took just one day to design and to actually make a working prototype (according to the youtube video) is a bit too much, IMO.

    Zeiss may be misled by the going prices for the discontinued 55/1.2 Contax Planar lenses?

    OTOH, it looks like the APO Sonnar 135/2 is a bargain.
    Vivek,
    I don't know where you got one day from. In the video, he says that the lens took very little time to develop due to their extensive experience and that the development time was only one year.

    Without knowing much about lens design, I would assume that it's faster to design a good lens when there are few restrictions with regards to size and cost as in this case. At least, that is the case in most other industries.

    As for the price, a Zeiss Compact Prime 50mm T2.1 retails for $3,990 and a Canon CN-E 50mm T1.3 L F Cine Lens for $4,950. The price of the 55mm seems to harmonize well with those prices. Lenses that are produced in small quantities with strict quality control will always be considerably more expensive than a mass market product, and most of us have a choice what to buy.

  31. #31
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Zeiss 55mm 1.4... this is going to cost me

    Poor audio, I guess, Jorgen. One year sounded like 1 day.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Without knowing much about lens design, I would assume that it's faster to design a good lens when there are few restrictions with regards to size and cost as in this case. At least, that is the case in most other industries.
    Good point!

  32. #32
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,344
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Zeiss 55mm 1.4... this is going to cost me

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Poor audio, I guess, Jorgen. One year sounded like 1 day.
    Yes, that German accent can be tricky

    German Coastguard Sinking - Learn English Commercial - YouTube

  33. #33
    Senior Subscriber Member Steen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Denmark, CPH
    Posts
    2,500
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    12

    Zeiss 55mm 1.4 ... this is going to cost me


    Quote Originally Posted by 4711 View Post

    It is amusing how people write their judgements about a comparioson without knowing what kind of lens was used.

    So how do you know that the comparison photo is a very old lens. Why do you think that it is not the current Nikon 50/1.4 (just as an example).

    I would hesitate to bash on something without knowing the facts. Makes the criticism even more worthless

    And it is understandable that Zeiss does not disclose the name of the other lens. First, it is in some countries forbidden to make those comparisons, as soon as you name the other lens, second you can bet that the lawyers of the other company will try to stop this comparsison asap with all kind of tricks.

    So just wait and see until the first real users will show their own comparisons with their "old" 50/1.4 lenses. Than you can start bashing if you want to and if there are any arguments for bashing at all...

    At your service, Sir
    Let's see what conventional looks like.
    Please note that this is not a test, let alone a contest. It's nothing but an illustration, just to add some realism.

    A quick illustration on what some conventional 50mm optics can typically do to a target like the one discussed here.
    Different Exposure Compensations, and the natural light was changing, and as usual I didn't quite succeed putting the focus exactly on the same plane (accuracy takes time).
    Still, a valid illustration on how four different conventional 50mm F-mount lenses render wide open (or near wide open for the ultrafast AI-S Nikkor).
    Three of them do f/1.4 or wider, the fourth being restricted to max f/1.8 and thus gaining a bit more free Depth Of Field, contrast and sharpness, and also less vignetting.

    Allow me to present, from left to right:

    Carl Zeiss Planar 1.4/50mm ZF
    Nikon AF-S Nikkor 1.4/50mm G
    Nikon AI-S Nikkor 1.2/50mm
    Nikon AI-S Nikkor 1.8/50mm (short-nosed version)


    Exif information is in the files.
    Please keep all the illustrations here on the GetDPI forum.

    ©lick for native sizes


    © • Nikon D800E • AI-S Nikkor 1.8/50mm • 1/8 sec. at f/5.6 ISO 100 • Lightroom 4.3




    © • Nikon D800E • Carl Zeiss Planar 1.4/50mm ZF • 1/250 sec. at f/1.4 ISO 100 • Lightroom 4.3




    © • Nikon D800E • AF-S Nikkor 1.4/50mm G • 1/250 sec. at f/1.4 ISO 100 • Lightroom 4.3




    © • Nikon D800E • AI-S Nikkor 1.2/50mm • 1/400 sec. at f/1.4 ISO 100 • Lightroom 4.3




    © • Nikon D800E • AI-S Nikkor 1.8/50mm • 1/100 sec. at f/1.8 ISO 100 • Lightroom 4.3



    Disclaimer: I do solemnly swear that all items belong to my wife .-)

  34. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Miami - New York
    Posts
    122
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss 55mm 1.4... this is going to cost me

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Vivek,
    I don't know where you got one day from. In the video, he says that the lens took very little time to develop due to their extensive experience and that the development time was only one year.

    Without knowing much about lens design, I would assume that it's faster to design a good lens when there are few restrictions with regards to size and cost as in this case. At least, that is the case in most other industries.

    As for the price, a Zeiss Compact Prime 50mm T2.1 retails for $3,990 and a Canon CN-E 50mm T1.3 L F Cine Lens for $4,950. The price of the 55mm seems to harmonize well with those prices. Lenses that are produced in small quantities with strict quality control will always be considerably more expensive than a mass market product, and most of us have a choice what to buy.
    The Compact Primes are their bargain line of lenses based on their current line of Nikon or Canon mount still lenses rehoused for cinema use. Their Master Primes are their top of the line cine lenses where the 50mm T1.3 costs a whopping $21000! Which is similar to Leica and Cooke cine lenses.

    I'd love to see Leica get in the game of lenses for Canon and Nikon too - but I'm afraid they would make this $3000 Zeiss look like a bargain

  35. #35
    Not Available
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    53
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss 55mm 1.4... this is going to cost me

    I prefer the Nikkor 50/1.2 Ais because I am bias and like this lens too much!

    The nikkor 50/1.4 G is obviously the sharpest.

  36. #36
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,871
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss 55mm 1.4... this is going to cost me

    Actually from this test I prefer the Nikkor 1.4/50G far better than all the rest!

    I am already since a while considering to buy a 50mm prime and given the performance of the 1.4/50G and the relatively moderate price, this seem to become my favorite. Hard to believe that it can produce such results for that price

  37. #37
    New Member Lictor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss 55mm 1.4... this is going to cost me

    Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Actually from this test I prefer the Nikkor 1.4/50G far better than all the rest!

    I am already since a while considering to buy a 50mm prime and given the performance of the 1.4/50G and the relatively moderate price, this seem to become my favorite. Hard to believe that it can produce such results for that price
    I had that lens and sold it because of one of the worst bokehs I have seen. Truly I don't fret over that but it was too much for me. Sharpness-wise great.

    I ended with Sigma because the shots just look better, but not really happy with any of the options. Hoping for a great 50 1.2 AF-S from Nikon

    Just my $0.02

    Best,

    Daniel Lovric
    The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight, but has no vision. - Helen Keller

  38. #38
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,344
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Zeiss 55mm 1.4... this is going to cost me

    I agree about the Sigma vs. the Nikon. The Voigtländer 58mm f/1.4 also has a nice bokeh but seems to have gone out of fashion.

  39. #39
    Senior Subscriber Member Steen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Denmark, CPH
    Posts
    2,500
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    12

    Zeiss 55mm 1.4 ... this is going to cost me


    Here's a couple of close up portraits of the old manual focus AI-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 - first of all illustrating the out of focus rendering of the AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 used for the captures


    ©lick for actual pixels






    © • both captures Nikon D800E • AF-S Nikkor 1.4/50mm G • 1/20 sec. at f/5.6 ISO 100 • Lightroom 4.3
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  40. #40
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,344
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Zeiss 55mm 1.4... this is going to cost me

    Carl Zeiss Lenses - Otus 1.4/55 - YouTube

    $4,000... oh well, a fascinating lens anyway

  41. #41
    Sr. Administrator Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    10,486
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1031

    Re: Zeiss 55mm 1.4... this is going to cost me

    IMHO, while it seems to provide extraordinary performance, it is simply way too big for a regular use 50, let alone a MF one... I'll happily stay with my 50/1.4G AF for most 50 work -- it renders pretty darn nice. And then my (newly acquired) 50/1.2 MF which renders beautifully for the special stuff -- not pristine optical performance, just a gorgeous overall look I happen to like a lot! Actually, in full disclosure the little 1.2 is now on my cam like 99% of the time, and virtually never leaves f1.2
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

    "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

  42. #42
    Senior Member ryc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Or-Y-Gun
    Posts
    548
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss 55mm 1.4... this is going to cost me

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    IMHO, while it seems to provide extraordinary performance, it is simply way too big for a regular use 50, let alone a MF one... I'll happily stay with my 50/1.4G AF for most 50 work -- it renders pretty darn nice. And then my (newly acquired) 50/1.2 MF which renders beautifully for the special stuff -- not pristine optical performance, just a gorgeous overall look I happen to like a lot! Actually, in full disclosure the little 1.2 is now on my cam like 99% of the time, and virtually never leaves f1.2
    The latest blog entry shows a smaller version of the lens ready for prod. I think it went from82mm to 77 or 72. I don't exactly remember.

  43. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Costa Rica, central america
    Posts
    319
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss 55mm 1.4... this is going to cost me

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Most of those buying this lens would be people who don't need it and don't understand its value. They'll buy it because it's the most expensive and supposedly the best 50mm lens for 35mm ever made. But if that is what makes the world go round, so be it.

    Those who can really make good use of it are video users, studio and portrait photographers, landscape photographers and others who don't really care if it's AF or not. Yes, it would be nice if it was AF, but it isn't, and there's always the Nikkor, the Sigma and, for those who are into Canon cameras, the 50mm L.
    In general terms, I agree with you. But It's my understanding that not al lot of portraits this days are done at 50mm. People this days prefer a more tight perspective.

    I still don't understand what is between Zeiss and auto focus.

    Best regards,

    James

  44. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    324
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss 55mm 1.4... this is going to cost me

    I, for one, am glad to see it. My understanding is that this is the first of at least three lenses in this line from Zeiss.

    At $4,000 I think it is reasonably priced for the performance it seems to offer.

    At some point I expect Nikon to offer a camera with significantly more resolution than their well regarded D800 and I imagine this lens will be a fine match for it.

    I've been shooting everything with 24 MP and less. While that is really plenty for most images I will be excited to have the option to use some much higher resolution gear.

    As far as MF goes, I wish it was AF as well. Although I shot plenty of sports with my M9 and Noctilux f/1 I find the digital Nikon SLR's far harder to MF than my old M9 was.

    Possibly Sony will come out with a good body with an excellent EVF and Zeiss will release this lens in an A mount? For me, that would be a strong enticement to switch systems.

    Best,

    Bill

  45. #45
    Senior Member Hulyss Bowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,085
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss 55mm 1.4... this is going to cost me

    This Zeiss lens is a vast niche joke. C'mon guys ... there is wonderful 50mm out there and the Nikkor 50f1.2 is just a gem. If you skilled enough to use it, like all manual focus lenses you can have some awesome rendering. 4 Grands for a manual lens ? Rent it !!! Buying it is ok if you have the money (at least a load of money because 4k is not nothing even if you have money). I salute the technological achievement, I salute the performances, I salute the weight (1kg.. omG...), I salute the intention, I salute every thing but the price and the ridiculousness of making a 55 mm design this expensive. If it was a 85 mm or, better, a 90/95mm f1.4/f1.1 lens @ 4000 bucks I would applause and eventually buy one. But this is a 55mm, a normal focal, even not really suited for portraits. This is hard to justify the expense. I tend to think that a lens, in the pro world, should not exceed the price of the digital pro/semi pro body. For example, just wait SIGMA to launch a new 50mm calculated on their A1 bench machine (based on foveon sensor, not bayer). I do not want to make the SIGMA fan boy but hell, if they launch it, in the vain of the 35 f1.4, this Zeiss Oddity will be, for real, an Oddity.

    The 50f1.2 just rock, even hand-held, you have almost the same results on the D800, just a raw out of ViewNX2 without tweak...:



    Kind regards - Hulyss - hulyssbowman.com

  46. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    333
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss 55mm 1.4... this is going to cost me

    I think it's a somewhat peculiar lens, just because the most common uses for the 50mm range are street and snapshooting. And this lens is huge. Which would seem to point to a particularly small niche.

    But I don't think the price is a problem. Exploiting the capabilities of smaller, denser sensors will require more and more sophisticated optics. $4000 is not even in the high range for medium format lenses. We could reasonably expect the best small format lenses to get more expensive still.

  47. #47
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    39
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss 55mm 1.4... this is going to cost me

    Quote Originally Posted by innerimager View Post
    I wonder how this Zeiss will compare with the latest Leica 50/2 apo which is staking the same "best 50" territory albeit at f2.
    One is small and light, the other one huge and a brick.
    For travel guess wich one i would take, even if marginally less perfect.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  48. #48
    Senior Member RVB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    807
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss 55mm 1.4... this is going to cost me

    Quote Originally Posted by Biglou View Post
    One is small and light, the other one huge and a brick.
    For travel guess wich one i would take, even if marginally less perfect.
    300grams for the APO cron and 1000grams for the Zeiss.. the only fault of the Leica is that some of them flare,but at the weight I would prefer the Leica,If you don't carry it you won't shoot it..

  49. #49
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    39
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss 55mm 1.4... this is going to cost me

    So right, i bought a very good Nikon D800e i leave at home and carry my small Leica everywhere, quality i get with it is enough for my needs.
    In order to increase quality and aperture you need also to increase size as we saw long ago with enlarging lenses for electronics.
    The Zeiss lens will be usefull when sensors will be bettered and for studio work or labs.

  50. #50
    Senior Member RVB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    807
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss 55mm 1.4... this is going to cost me

    Quote Originally Posted by Biglou View Post
    So right, i bought a very good Nikon D800e i leave at home and carry my small Leica everywhere, quality i get with it is enough for my needs.
    In order to increase quality and aperture you need also to increase size as we saw long ago with enlarging lenses for electronics.
    The Zeiss lens will be usefull when sensors will be bettered and for studio work or labs.
    It will be interesting to see what Sigma and Canon come out with..for 4K you could by a medium format lens for studio work,you can buy the HC 50mm mk2 or Phase one LS55 2.8 for just a few hundred dollars more and they have leaf shutters and A.F..of course you need to own a medium format body.. ;-)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •