The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D7100... wonderfully versatile

DennisHHH

For me the D7100 will make a great backup camera to my D800e. I've been using a Sony NEX7 for that now, but Nikon optics will be a big plus. It will extend the reach of the 70-200 2.8 vr2. The Sigma 8-16 will be one of the lenses that I would add just for the new body. Very exciting stuff considering it's probably going to be under $1000 fairly soon.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
After a bit of studying, I've found that the D800(E) might work as a D300 replacement. It does 6fps in DX mode with the grip and the buffer holds 30 RAW DX files. They are available for less than $2,500 and the bonus is of course that it's a 36MP camera too. That or a used D3X.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
You don t want a D3X for action ...you have to shoot at 12bit to get 5fps...at 14bit you get 1 fps . I don t remember the buffer but the camera was too slow for tennis and I don t shoot continuous .

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
You don t want a D3X for action ...you have to shoot at 12bit to get 5fps...at 14bit you get 1 fps . I don t remember the buffer but the camera was too slow for tennis and I don t shoot continuous .
The D800 is probably a better solution anyway, particularly the E, but I can live with 12 bit for motor sports. This also shows what a versatile camera the D800 is. Although not perfect for action, it will easily follow the D300s in DX mode, and that camera is really the only current alternative south of $5,000.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Jorgen, for your racing car purpose I suspect you'd be better off waiting for the coming D400 unless you want a high resolution FX camera for other purposes.

Quoting Thom Hogan "Feb 21, 2013, The New Camera with the Old Name"

Aside: "(...) the DX crop turns out to be a good compromise for wildlife shooting: at equal overall pixel counts you get more pixel density on distant animals with DX than you do with FX (...)"

I guess that goes for motor sports as well ?

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
The D800 is probably a better solution anyway, particularly the E, but I can live with 12 bit for motor sports. This also shows what a versatile camera the D800 is. Although not perfect for action, it will easily follow the D300s in DX mode, and that camera is really the only current alternative south of $5,000.
I haven t shot motor sports but in the winter I shot Polo in Florida . Polo has been my testing environment for my Nikon s and long lenses . Others uses Surfing ,Tennis etc aren t nearly as demanding .

For Polo the lens to have is the 600/4 ..a beast but on a Monopod its very easy to balance . Fortunately I can drive to within 100Ft of where I might shoot . This isn t a carry all day situation . Panning with a 600 is a bit much and here a 300/2.8 is a better choice .

I have used the D3,D3s,D3x and the D800E . This is a situation where when the horses charge the goal ..you lock on the ball and shoot 8-12 captures . By far the best alternative has been the D3S (haven t used the D4 yet ) . The responsiveness of the D3S is just better and the IQ is excellent . The color much improved over the D3 ..not as good as the D3x or the D800E .

The advantage of the D800E has been the great files ...so if you intend to work the images ..you have plenty of room for processing . With the D3S ..you want the file to be pretty great right out of the camera ...not much room to crop for example .

I ve shot with the guys that shoot for Sports Illustrated and I noticed that some of them edit constantly in the camera . The review each series and lock the keepers then delete everything else . This cuts down considerably the edit time when you shot in series . They assume the file is done when they turn in the card .

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Glen,
Thank you for your writeup. I've been looking at the D3 and found at that might be a good solution in combo with my D2Xs. The latter for reach in good light and the D3 for everything else. I might even consider the D700, but they are surprisingly expensive still. I actually shot a Polo match a few weeks ago and found it very different from motor sports. Harder on the AF and more need for long lenses. The 600/4 is way beyond my budget, but I've seen some impressive racing photos taken with the Sigma 150-500 and 50-500. They are f/6.8 at the long end I believe, but I can live with that... maybe.

Steen,
The reason why I might not be able to wait for a possible D400 is that my D300 is dying. Today, I was informed that there's another 3 months till the racing season starts, except for a couple of endurance races, so I have more time than I thought.

If there is a D400, I suppose it will be a real killer camera, and I'll of course regret any other camera I buy in the meantime, but that's life :)

Glen,
I might even consider the D700, but they are surprisingly expensive still.
Jorgen,
the D700 is certainly worth considering. I use it to shoot charreadas (Mexican rodeos) including the precision riding competition, and so far it hasn't let me down. I can't compare it to the D3(x/s), but I haven't missed any obvious shots due to camera shortcomings (with a 70-200 lens mostly at 2.8/4).

jduncan

With no AA filter this makes you wonder if the D600 is worth the extra cost in a way. As long as FF is not a big deal to you , I would buy this instead.
Yes it seems to be. I believe Nikon was to conservative with the D600. Some examples are max 1/4000 shutter speed (I know is the same that iso 200 and 1/8000 on the D700), No aperture change on video, and more than nothing the focussing system. They probably did it to protect the D800 / D800e.

About the lack of AA filter I am convinced that with a sensor denser than the D800, the D7100 will find even less moiré.

We need to wait for image quality tests before fully writing down the D600, in particular High ISO files (for me it's a main concern because I shoot a lot of dance), but for most users I fully agree.

Best regards,

J. Duncan

I do not think that the majour reason pro or contra D600 will be high ISO noise. There are plenty software out there to improve this.

For me the main reason pro or contra fullframe vs. APS-C is DOF. Do I need less DOF than it is possible with APS-C?

The great thing about the D7100 is, that we have now next to the Pentax K5IIs finally an alternative within APS-C without AA filter in a small body with 100% Viewfinder and weather resistant.

Walter K

I wanted buy the D600 in January because of a 150EUR bonus here in austria, but forgot to do so... :) Now happy because this D7100"E" is the better partner for a D800E. Already bought now a used DX2.8/17-55mm especially for the new D7100 - as my everyday camera...

I prefer the look of photos without AA filter... (second best + working solution after Sigma Foveon...)

Second bonus seems to be (if same sensor as D5200) terrific video quality... :thumbup: