Site Sponsors

Thread: NPS is it worth it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

NPS is it worth it?

I am wondering if applying for NPS membership is worth it.
    What has the experience been for other folks?
    thanks
    -bob

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: NPS is it worth it?

Great question Bob
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

I can only reply with my experience over here. It doesn't cost you anything to apply, you have to have a certain amount of Nikon gear which you probably already have and you need to show you are a working pro.

The advantages are small but worthwile imo. I get priority with repairs and if necessary loan equipment. This is what I mainly use it for. An example, my D800 felt terrible colorwise, the too green issue. The repair center had it calibrated in every way the new possible including a focus adjustment ( which I did not even ask for) within a day and had it returned within a couple of days. They could not see anything wrong with it but since I vented it did not feel good they were willing to do all the work just to see if it would make a difference to me (it is now a lot better in my eyes, apparently I am very sensitive to green or something).

Other people use the ability to loan equipment during events, check and clean every 6 months (I should be taking advantage of that). seminars and trainings are arranged as well, either for free or heavily discounted.

I had the impression in the US you can have priority buying new equipment, not sure if that applies over here too.

NPS, do you really need it? Maybe not but it sure feels like Nikon will take care of you when you need it. For me that makes it valuable.

Post Thanks / Like

For a working pro. Absolutely necessary. The quick repair turn around is key.

Post Thanks / Like

I've become de facto NPS by accident and its notably better than not being!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kinok1 View Post
    For a working pro. Absolutely necessary. The quick repair turn around is key.
    +1!

They aren't exactly what they use to be...but still a lot better than going without it.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Yes worth it, not sure about US but in Canada you can borrow gear which comes in handy or if you are thinking of a new lens give it a go for a week to see if it's worth the purchase. I have to pay for return shipping but much cheaper than renting.

Post Thanks / Like

yes. as mentioned it is free, just apply. you can borrow equipment at major events and even get your camera checked out free. priority on turn around and finally priority on new cameras (NPS orders go directly to your dealer). all free.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Sure it is worth it. I got a 2013 Nikon agenda this year!

But the best part is to annoy the neighbors with the NPS membership card.....priceless!