The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone using the Coastal Optics 60mm??

jagsiva

An oversight on my part of your camera details and hence the confusion. Sorry about that! :eek:

The link I posted would only come in handy with your D800 "full spectrum" camera.

On the color change based on a custom WB with different lenses. Not at all unusual. Happens all the time. You would find that even with regular Nikkors (though perhaps not as much of a difference from a broadband transmitting lens such as the CO 60/4).
Cool.

On WB, now that I think of it, I think I built the custom WB profile using the Coastal, I likely need to do the same with the 85G. Of course, the D800 only allows 4, so filters x lenses leads to a crap load :)

In any case, I am pleasantly surprised by the resolution of the CO in IR. This is the main reason I got it, nonetheless, it is reassuring to see it in reality. The lens is also built extremely well. It weighs about the same as the 85G, but is about the size of Leica M 90mm.

My only wish was that it was an F2 or faster, but macro on is a bonus. With the results being as they are, I will likely just stick with this lens for all IR work. On the full-spectrum using the 830nm on lens filter, the results are quite impressive.

On a separate note, I also have an IQ260 Achromat on order to use on an Arca RM3Di with Rodenstock lenses. This would have been plan A, but when I went down the Nikon/CO road, the announcement from Phase had been not made yet. Given the difference in the IR space between the CO and an otherwise fantastic lens like the 85G, I am now a little concerned about how the Rodies will behave in the IR space. Regardless, the Achromat will still do what I need it to for Bayerless BW in visible light. Again, this stuff is so niche that you've got to get it into your hands to really see the actual behaviour.

Cheers...

V

Vivek

Jagsiva, Well, there is an UV/Vis/IR apochromat 120mm f/5.6 designed by the creator of that CO 60/4 to use with your medium format outfit. :)

See: MegaVision OEM Scientific

Yeah, I thought the f/4 was a bit slow as well. but given that the lens is already diffraction limited at f/4, it will not be a problem.

I am not surprised that you find it so sharp in IR. It truly is a gem of a lens.

jagsiva

Jagsiva, Well, there is an UV/Vis/IR apochromat 120mm f/5.6 designed by the creator of that CO 60/4 to use with your medium format outfit. :)

See: MegaVision OEM Scientific

Yeah, I thought the f/4 was a bit slow as well. but given that the lens is already diffraction limited at f/4, it will not be a problem.

I am not surprised that you find it so sharp in IR. It truly is a gem of a lens.
I did not need to see that!!! Wonder if I can get it in R-Mount :)

...only 70mm IC though :(

Last edited:
V

Vivek

That is a conservative figure and only at infinity. For closer distances, the IC is larger.

Contact Megavision, perhaps they may lend you one to check out (not sure- just making a wild suggestion).

I have also fondled that lens. :)

jagsiva

Vivek, stop encouraging this! Even without looking into it, I'm sure its a 10K hole in my pocket!!!!

Yes, I did see that the IC at F11 is a 100mm. Also, given that it comes in Copal 0, Martin could easily fit it for R-mount, and perhaps even calibrate it for for my new and shiny eModule Cloud with multiple settings for different spectrums :0

DaveO

I believe that Michael Erlewine has this lens, but he uses it for macro focus stacking. I think he is on Fred Miranda Forums.

MaxBerlin

Jagsiva, it looks like your sensor is dirty. I see at least two big smudges in the upper right corner. Looking forward to seeing some challenging photos using this lens and the 800e. Something high contrast that normally might produce some PF ? Or a shot that tries to create sagittal coma. Here's an example of that with the Zeiss Hollywood Distagon. It's a great lens but it's got this problem...

Zeiss 28mm @ 5.6 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!