The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon 300mm f/4.0 impressions and recommendations (Full Frame)

jduncan

Hello,

I am considering the Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D IF-ED.
The general idea is to have a medium range, light telephoto for my D600.

I will seldom use it at close range so medium range (say 10m or 35ft+) will be normal operation.

I am also will like to know if it will autofocus with the TC-20E III on a D600 or D800 (I have the D600 only).

I am open to other lens suggestions, but I need it to be light.

I will love if you could provide some examples.

I am aware that Nikon it's likely to replace this lens with a Nano coating / VR / one million dollars version ;)

I will be at my work, so I will not be able to answer questions until night. I am aware of this old, but very good examples on a dx body (http://www.pbase.com/ronnie_14187/image/57655589)

Thanks for your help,

J. Duncan

jsf

I have the earlier version of the 300mm f/4, I wouldn't call it a light lens but maybe the question is compared to what? I use it on my d700 and d800e, it is as sharp as a lens needs to be from wide open to diffraction. I would say f/8-f/11 are the sweet spots, but wide open it is a cracker. Not much depth of field so critical focus is called for. I use it about a third of the time when I am photographing, the bokeh is pleasant. I would not recommend the 70-300 you won't be happy with it. But it is light and it has VR. I would say that the 300mm needs really good technique handheld. I shot this recently at a concert with the 300mm, at f/5.6 1/180s and 6400 ISO.

routlaw

I have this lens but do not use it all that often. Optically its great, very sharp. Mechanically its probably not a speed demon like some of the newer lenses and compared to the F2.8 version its a feather weight and compact lens though still hefty and large by most lens standards. And also comparatively easy on the pocket book.

While I don't think of myself as a wildlife photographer here is one image @ F5.6 & 1/125th of sec shutter tripod mounted to my D3. At close inspection you can see dozens of mosquitos and flies buzzing around the antler velvet.

Hope this helps.

Rob

Last edited:

jduncan

I have this lens but do not use it all that often. Optically its great, very sharp. Mechanically its probably not a speed demon like some of the newer lenses and compared to the F2.8 version its a feather weight and compact lens though still hefty and large by most lens standards. And also comparatively easy on the pocket book.

While I don't think of myself as a wildlife photographer here is one image @ F5.6 & 1/125th of sec shutter tripod mounted to my D3. At close inspection you can see dozens of mosquitos and flies buzzing around the antler velvet.

Hope this helps.

Rob
I have the earlier version of the 300mm f/4, I wouldn't call it a light lens but maybe the question is compared to what? I use it on my d700 and d800e, it is as sharp as a lens needs to be from wide open to diffraction. I would say f/8-f/11 are the sweet spots, but wide open it is a cracker. Not much depth of field so critical focus is called for. I use it about a third of the time when I am photographing, the bokeh is pleasant. I would not recommend the 70-300 you won't be happy with it. But it is light and it has VR. I would say that the 300mm needs really good technique handheld. I shot this recently at a concert with the 300mm, at f/5.6 1/180s and 6400 ISO.
Thanks for you kind answer. Light compared with the 80-400 or the sigma 120-400 OS. I am planing to use it most of the time with my monopod. I do have the tamron 70-200 f2.8 so what I am trying to achieve is to extend range. An second option will be to sell my tammy and get the 80-200 f2.8 +TC.

Best regards,
James

jduncan

Hope this helps.

Rob
Thanks for your kind reply.
It looks very sharp. Have you ever use it with TCs ?

Best regards,

James

routlaw

Thanks for your kind reply.
It looks very sharp. Have you ever use it with TCs ?

Best regards,

James
No I don't even own any of the TC's either. AT F4 my guess is the lens might start struggling with auto focus with the drop in brightness with TC's except in the brightest of scenes. BTW I also owned the older version of this lens too, and mechanically and optically the newer one is better especially the mechanical attributes. Its really a nice lens if you don't need the extra speed of F2.8.

rob

Lictor

I also have the earlier AF-D version which I think is great. It accepts 77 mm front filters and can actually be carried inside your bag most of the time unlike it's bigger cousins.
I don't know if there is a big quality difference between AF-D and AF-S version, but AF-D has a similar rendering of the older Nikon lenses, more cool and less punchy like the new AF-S primes. It's quite similar to 105 f/2 DC and I use both of them mostly for portraits.
I do use it on a D700 on which almost every lens can look good sharpness wise.
I don't think you should be worried in Nikon updating this lens soon, they have much more pressing concerns in their lens line-up. Look how long it took them to update 80-400 which is certainly a bigger seller.

IsakBergwall

Sorry for stealing the thread but have anybody used the sigma 100-300/4 with the D800? Are the Nikon 300/4 superior to that one? (I will use it for landscape details so I rarely use it wide open)