The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ultra wide for D800e

Why not?

GetDPI is a digital Forum.
Anything you can do with a filter can be done in Photoshop.

- Leigh
Can never duplicate polarization with photoshop or anything else. Nice to see the new fotodiox filter set that has a polarizer and allows simultaneous use of NDs or ND grads. Also allows protective clear filter, and also operates as a beautiful metal lens protector when you add the metal cap. I have decided to go for the 14-24 because of this, as it seems really head and shoulders above the other wide zooms.

JohnBrew

I use the Zeiss 21. I find the lens correction in ACR completely takes care of the wave distortion. Also Zeiss glass is terrific with colors compared to Nikon alternatives, imo.
However, if I had the patience to deal with acquiring a Leica 19 R and having it converted for Nikon mount, I would do it. A friend mostly used his Leica 19 on a Canon but wowee that thing was awesome.

rivercrew

I just replaced my venerable 17-35mm with the new lightweight 18-35mm G, it beat my old lens at every setting except wide open at 35mm end.
I own both lenses and go to the 18-35G more often. Light and compact, great for travel and is as good or better optically than the 17-35. I recently did a shoot for US Dept of Energy up on the Alaska tundra near Barrow and took the 17-35 for its rugged build.

Two interesting Nikon / Zeiss 21 comparisons.

One in which the Zeiss 21 Spanks the 14-24. (The Nikon looks strangely bad in this one ... I've never seen any softness or CA in the center)

And one in which the 14-24 does the spanking.

Another Nikon/Zeiss 21 comparison. This one leaning slightly toward Nikon.

Based on these comparisons, I think optical quality is the least significant distinction between these lenses.

Zeiss pluses:
size/weight
simplicity/robustness of a prime
less prone to flair
easy to use filters

Nikon pluses:
all the other focal lengths
less/simpler distortion
AF