The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Freaked Out! Trinity f1.8G!

pophoto

How about the Nikkor 60mm micro?? a little longer and slower but excellent
Unfortunately, I had just sent back my 50 f1.8G back to B&H for a replacement.
This now makes your assessment for the Nikkor 60mm micro a great argument and may be the new 50mm for Nikon!

I feel 50mm is a great focal length, and I especially like it, but I don't feel there is much offering from Nikon at this point. The 60mm Micro is a great lens optically, and focuses fast enough.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
My 60 is for sale at a song. I need the 50 1.4 for a big project. I need as much focus falloff as I can get. My 50 1.8 is also for sale

pophoto

Hey Guy,

I don't know if your message is directed at me or just at general, but I already own the 60 micro.
I also hear the 50 f1.8G focusing is niftier, the f1.4G is a fair bit slower, you can google Nikon 50mm f1.4G vs f1.8G.

Thanks
Po

pophoto

Is it me, or is Nikon having some inconsistencies in their QC testing of their lenses?
I hate to talk about almost anything in a negative way, but if I do it's usually just to get the hairs of my test in frustration and loss in shipping and insurance costs due to returns.

It did start out with my 50 f/1.8G, which exhibited misalignment in the elements that cause asymmetrical distortion, imagine a rectangle in the viewfinder of a perfect lens with an imaginary vertical (or horizontal or both) center line through the middle.

Well my copy had it better on the left side when shooting a test chart, but on the right side it was heavily skewed down towards the top right corner and resulting in even more blurriness in that particular region.

Now I have just received my brand new copy of the Nikon 24-120mm f/4G VR, and does something similar, but to a lesser degree mostly in the wider region. Again being the asymmetry.

I don't know from others experience, but I hate the idea that I have to shop for a good copy of anything. I have owned Nikon gear in the past, in fact I was fairly heavily invested, before selling it all off, because I had two systems but decided to stay with my Canon system for some subjective reasons. In the past, I never felt I had to shop for items as described. In fact I great samples from Canon and Nikon. Only company I had to keep returning, and not for exchanges but for full refunds was Sigma, I now own the Canon mount Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG A1 lens, which I believe I got right in one shot! I love the lens :)

However, today, I am trying to buy back into Nikon, but feel somewhat challenged :(

The main reason I do the shots with test charts, is because anything off is instantly recognizable, instead of isolated portraiture with blurred bokeh backgrounds, believe me, I wished I never had to shoot these test images.

-Rant End-

Guy Mancuso

Hey Guy,

I don't know if your message is directed at me or just at general, but I already own the 60 micro.
I also hear the 50 f1.8G focusing is niftier, the f1.4G is a fair bit slower, you can google Nikon 50mm f1.4G vs f1.8G.

Thanks
Po
Just in general. It sold and a 1.4 is on its way. I need the 1.4 for a project where I need heavier OOF areas. I might even go for a 135 f2 DC lens instead of the Zeiss 135. I have to shoot hundreds of k-8th graders for a big national ad campaign and I need a look to them. Great gig and I want heavy OOF areas.

Guy Mancuso

Is it me, or is Nikon having some inconsistencies in their QC testing of their lenses?
I hate to talk about almost anything in a negative way, but if I do it's usually just to get the hairs of my test in frustration and loss in shipping and insurance costs due to returns.

It did start out with my 50 f/1.8G, which exhibited misalignment in the elements that cause asymmetrical distortion, imagine a rectangle in the viewfinder of a perfect lens with an imaginary vertical (or horizontal or both) center line through the middle.

Well my copy had it better on the left side when shooting a test chart, but on the right side it was heavily skewed down towards the top right corner and resulting in even more blurriness in that particular region.

Now I have just received my brand new copy of the Nikon 24-120mm f/4G VR, and does something similar, but to a lesser degree mostly in the wider region. Again being the asymmetry.

I don't know from others experience, but I hate the idea that I have to shop for a good copy of anything. I have owned Nikon gear in the past, in fact I was fairly heavily invested, before selling it all off, because I had two systems but decided to stay with my Canon system for some subjective reasons. In the past, I never felt I had to shop for items as described. In fact I great samples from Canon and Nikon. Only company I had to keep returning, and not for exchanges but for full refunds was Sigma, I now own the Canon mount Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG A1 lens, which I believe I got right in one shot! I love the lens :)

However, today, I am trying to buy back into Nikon, but feel somewhat challenged :(

The main reason I do the shots with test charts, is because anything off is instantly recognizable, instead of isolated portraiture with blurred bokeh backgrounds, believe me, I wished I never had to shoot these test images.

-Rant End-
Unfortunately this is becoming more common with QC and I guess we have to remember the sheer volume from these OEMs. I won't buy off e-bay used and only buy used from forum members as almost always they are honest to say if its a good copy and I buy new from B&H since I know I can return. Now I do buy from KEH used if no one here has what I need (rare as a lot of gear here) but they have a good return policy. Bottom line buy with return in mind. We all feel this frustration, I have been pretty lucky given I buy a lot but I have hit some bad glass even new.

Tektrader

I just got a new copy of the 85mm 1.8G....

IMO its rubbish, I have never seen so much LoCA at F1.8 in any other lens so far. Its going back. So bad it was almost impossible to use the Lens align protractor when I was setting the microfocus.

I found it unuseable.

Not sure what to replace it with now seeing I returned a Samyang 85 for being SOFT and no better than the 70-200 @ 85mm

dmeckert

I just got a new copy of the 85mm 1.8G....

IMO its rubbish, I have never seen so much LoCA at F1.8 in any other lens so far. Its going back. So bad it was almost impossible to use the Lens align protractor when I was setting the microfocus.

I found it unuseable.

Not sure what to replace it with now seeing I returned a Samyang 85 for being SOFT and no better than the 70-200 @ 85mm
sounds like a bad copy. mine arrived tuesday, and i wanted to see if it would need a major focus adjust (it doesn't). informally, focusing on text in a cookbook, i definitely didn't observe that.

pophoto

Unfortunately this is becoming more common with QC and I guess we have to remember the sheer volume from these OEMs. I won't buy off e-bay used and only buy used from forum members as almost always they are honest to say if its a good copy and I buy new from B&H since I know I can return. Now I do buy from KEH used if no one here has what I need (rare as a lot of gear here) but they have a good return policy. Bottom line buy with return in mind. We all feel this frustration, I have been pretty lucky given I buy a lot but I have hit some bad glass even new.
Unfortunately, all my new Nikon gear was purchased from the big two, B&H and Adorama. It's not an issue with them, it's a Nikon QC issue, but despite that, they still require you to pay shipping and insurance for returns.

Let us know what you think of the 50f1.4G. I remember it not being great on the D700, it just didn't shine. They really need a pro version of a Nikon 50mm in my opinion.

So Guy, did you end up buying four samples? :p