Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 29 of 29

Thread: Freaked Out! Trinity f1.8G!

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    889
    Post Thanks / Like

    Freaked Out! Trinity f1.8G!

    Hi Guys,

    My D800 arrived yesterday, after reading a lot of reviews and recommendations, I ordered the three f/1.8 primes (28, 50, 85) to go along with it, and thought Hey, this is winner combination for quality and value. Value? More like a bargain if the lenses are what people are saying.

    However I wanted to test everything out against some test charts (results of which I will not be posting), but shooting wide opening, with the 50mm f1.8G only the inner third is sharp, the rest is soft and what I am seeing overall is a lot of fringing/aberrations, or undesired color effects which spoil the image.

    I am not impressed! Is anyone else seeing this? Anyone else feel the f1.8G trinity when subjected to testing fails them! I know real world example show varied results.

    But anyways....

    Thanks
    Po
    Last edited by pophoto; 29th March 2013 at 10:33.
    ___________________
    Po-Ming Chu
    POPHOTO

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    889
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Freaked Out! Trinity f1.8G!

    Okay, so enough of the test charts and on with some real world photos of my little boy!
    Verdict: Amazingly brilliant!

    Just some quick thoughts here, since I'm so late into the D800 Camp, hence my asking the questions on the Dust settled thread:
    I've never shot Digital Medium format, but the latitude to recover highlights and shadows on the D800/E is no exaggeration! If this is anything to go by, wow!

    Yes, I'm still using my primes, no idea why I saw so much fringing on the B/W test charts. The softness still worries me and I might get a replacement on the 50mm f1.8G or go for the f1.4G instead. The test charts really left little to be desired.

    First day of quick testing shows there's a lot to like about the D800 files, but I'm so used to processing the Canon files, I know there's a "Look" lenses thread for Nikon, and I'm still kinda using value primes here compared to L primes on my Canon. So far there's no wow factor, but it does show off the potential of the sensor. Just very pleasant images so far.
    ___________________
    Po-Ming Chu
    POPHOTO

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    889
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Freaked Out! Trinity f1.8G!

    I'll continue to add that the instant I picked up the D800, I was concerned. It felt way lighter than the D700 I used to own, and thus it felt less substantial, less quality perhaps! Am I wrong?

    I remember my 5D Mark II being the toy camera compare to the D700, in the end I sold away all my Nikon gear, the Canon lenses were magical! I even upgraded to the 5D Mark III. The update was a slightly heavier body, very well built in my opinion, way more so than the Mark II. It seems Nikon has gone the other way. I'm not upset about this decision, since I like the hefty DSLRs, but there's a fine line about how much you add to the body before it's too heavy to carry for long periods of time.

    The f1.8G primes are the same in the sense, they don't feel well made at all, but are light and are supposed to be good optics for the D800 36MP sensor. The combined weight savings seems good, it may not be for everyone, and still too heavy for many. However, as soon as I add the SB900, it's suddenly unbalanced, they need to do they same with a newer flash unit!

    The contrast with the D800 and its lighter weight body but it's mega size sensor is interesting for me, it can suddenly be my no-sacrifice-image-quality travel camera! Yeah I'm not even sure I'm joking here!
    ___________________
    Po-Ming Chu
    POPHOTO

  4. #4
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Freaked Out! Trinity f1.8G!

    there are comparatively few fast lenses that are fully sharp to the edges wide open. Try stopping down to F2 or 2.8 and also be aware that test charts with their pure black on white edges will make most lenses struggle with aberrations of the purple fringe type when shot at wide apertures.

    I don't have the 50 but I do have the 28 and the 85. The 85 is a superb lens. The 28 is blindingly sharp but it has notable field curvature and you need experience to use it well. It can be used to make very very good images, but if you want sharp to the edges on real-world planar subjects, you will need to learn the lens and to make sure you have fine tuned it properly.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  5. #5
    Senior Member RVB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    807
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Freaked Out! Trinity f1.8G!

    Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    there are comparatively few fast lenses that are fully sharp to the edges wide open. Try stopping down to F2 or 2.8 and also be aware that test charts with their pure black on white edges will make most lenses struggle with aberrations of the purple fringe type when shot at wide apertures.
    Tim,this is a very good point about test charts,

  6. #6
    Senior Member RVB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    807
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Freaked Out! Trinity f1.8G!

    It is also worth mentioning,(correct me if i am wrong..) but field curvature makes wide angle lens results with test charts difficult to rely on, Lloyd Chamber's also says the 28 1.8G is a very good lens but you have to watch out for focus shift..

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    889
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Freaked Out! Trinity f1.8G!

    Only sharp to the inner third is hardly to the edges, although I value what you say about learning the lens. I wonder what your view is on the 24-120mm and the 24-70, are they good enough?
    ___________________
    Po-Ming Chu
    POPHOTO

  8. #8
    Senior Member RVB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    807
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Freaked Out! Trinity f1.8G!

    Quote Originally Posted by pophoto View Post
    Only sharp to the inner third is hardly to the edges, although I value what you say about learning the lens. I wonder what your view is on the 24-120mm and the 24-70, are they good enough?
    Tim Ashley Photography | Nikon AF-S 28-70mm F2.8G ED Oom on D800E

    Tim Ashley Photography | 24-120 F4G VR on D800E at the Telephoto end of the range.

    Tim Ashley Photography | 24-120 F4G VR on D800E: Mid range to Portrait

    Tim Ashley Photography | 24-120 F4G VR on D800: Wide Angle Range

    Tim Ashley Photography | The 24-120 F4G VR on D800: Introduction to the "Swiss Army Knife" lens


    These should keep you busy..

    best

    Rob

  9. #9
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,541
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Freaked Out! Trinity f1.8G!

    Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    there are comparatively few fast lenses that are fully sharp to the edges wide open. Try stopping down to F2 or 2.8 and also be aware that test charts with their pure black on white edges will make most lenses struggle with aberrations of the purple fringe type when shot at wide apertures.

    I don't have the 50 but I do have the 28 and the 85. The 85 is a superb lens. The 28 is blindingly sharp but it has notable field curvature and you need experience to use it well. It can be used to make very very good images, but if you want sharp to the edges on real-world planar subjects, you will need to learn the lens and to make sure you have fine tuned it properly.
    +1 I have all three lenses and my copies perform well on the D800e, given the considerations you have described.
    Carl
    Gallery

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    889
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Freaked Out! Trinity f1.8G!


    Yes, I've been kept busy by this before. Problem is for me I have owned a good copy of the 24-70 on my D700, in fact I had f2.8 trinity, problem is for me with the D800 I want to shoot more wide open and I'd love to have a workhorse zoom, but going by Tim's samples I have to stop down and I have get lucky, in effect f4 is good enough!

    I'm tired of testing lens each time it comes through the door now! Especially so from Nikon (for the D800)! In effect, I wished Tim got lucky with his samples and had both great lenses in the 24-120 and the 24-70 and offer his opinion then, which isn't the case! My original test charts scared me the same way, but feel better after shooting some real photos!

    My next question is what is the hands down best AF 50mm lens for the D800? Really I have to go manual focus and there still isn't one?
    ___________________
    Po-Ming Chu
    POPHOTO

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    889
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Freaked Out! Trinity f1.8G!

    Oh another thing I noticed to Nikon's credit, I was reminded of how good their AF-C 3D tracking is compared to Canon. This isn't true for all lenses, it was better on my 50mm than my 85 f1.8G. Yes, this is true despite Canon's latest efforts, I had the 1DX as well the 5D3.

    Better than Canon, but not necessarily quicker! Sometimes you need quicker too when you want the AF point to stay where it is, like someone running towards you, for example! There subtle differences, but something has to be said how good the Nikon AF tracking was in the original D3 and junior D700, which was what the D700 really was! Now I wish for a senior D800!
    ___________________
    Po-Ming Chu
    POPHOTO

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    889
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Freaked Out! Trinity f1.8G!

    Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    there are comparatively few fast lenses that are fully sharp to the edges wide open. Try stopping down to F2 or 2.8 and also be aware that test charts with their pure black on white edges will make most lenses struggle with aberrations of the purple fringe type when shot at wide apertures.

    I don't have the 50 but I do have the 28 and the 85. The 85 is a superb lens. The 28 is blindingly sharp but it has notable field curvature and you need experience to use it well. It can be used to make very very good images, but if you want sharp to the edges on real-world planar subjects, you will need to learn the lens and to make sure you have fine tuned it properly.
    Tim, I was at first concerned about the copy of my D800 having a bad sensor, since my initial rougher quick and dirty testing showed the right side to be significantly more blurry too. Hence my asking the question how far the center should extend to being sharp! As arbitrary of a question it is.
    ___________________
    Po-Ming Chu
    POPHOTO

  13. #13
    Senior Member RVB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    807
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Freaked Out! Trinity f1.8G!

    How about the Nikkor 60mm micro?? a little longer and slower but excellent

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    889
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Freaked Out! Trinity f1.8G!

    Quote Originally Posted by RVB View Post
    How about the Nikkor 60mm micro?? a little longer and slower but excellent
    Oh I forgot to mention I got this little beauty! Just wanted a faster prime, too spoilt with my Canon 50L f1.2.
    ___________________
    Po-Ming Chu
    POPHOTO

  15. #15
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Freaked Out! Trinity f1.8G!

    I do have the new 60 macro for sale and it is a laser
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    889
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Freaked Out! Trinity f1.8G!

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I do have the new 60 macro for sale and it is a laser
    Yes I agree, not only that, at wide open there is no fringing or aberrations that I see!
    ___________________
    Po-Ming Chu
    POPHOTO

  17. #17
    Senior Subscriber Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    1,306
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Freaked Out! Trinity f1.8G!

    Quote Originally Posted by pophoto View Post
    no idea why I saw so much fringing on the B/W test charts.
    Most likely curvature of field combined with spherochromatism that's exaggerated at short shooting distances.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    889
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Freaked Out! Trinity f1.8G!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jan Brittenson View Post
    Most likely curvature of field combined with spherochromatism that's exaggerated at short shooting distances.
    Undesirable nonetheless! Stopping down obviously helped. The 50mm f/1.8G I am still thinking about replacing, but works well shooting real subjects so far!
    ___________________
    Po-Ming Chu
    POPHOTO

  19. #19
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Freaked Out! Trinity f1.8G!

    Dont rule out a decentered lens as well. I would send that one back or send it for checking. Sounds weird to me
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    889
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Freaked Out! Trinity f1.8G!

    Yeah I will probably do that, but the good news is that I don't see anything wrong shooting real world samples of my kids! I have the weekend and holidays for B&H before I send it back.

    You guys have a favorite 50mm so far, or is the f1.8G the one? f1.4G anyone?
    ___________________
    Po-Ming Chu
    POPHOTO

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    889
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Freaked Out! Trinity f1.8G!

    Quote Originally Posted by RVB View Post
    How about the Nikkor 60mm micro?? a little longer and slower but excellent
    Unfortunately, I had just sent back my 50 f1.8G back to B&H for a replacement.
    This now makes your assessment for the Nikkor 60mm micro a great argument and may be the new 50mm for Nikon!

    I feel 50mm is a great focal length, and I especially like it, but I don't feel there is much offering from Nikon at this point. The 60mm Micro is a great lens optically, and focuses fast enough.
    ___________________
    Po-Ming Chu
    POPHOTO

  22. #22
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Freaked Out! Trinity f1.8G!

    My 60 is for sale at a song. I need the 50 1.4 for a big project. I need as much focus falloff as I can get. My 50 1.8 is also for sale
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    889
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Freaked Out! Trinity f1.8G!

    Hey Guy,

    I don't know if your message is directed at me or just at general, but I already own the 60 micro.
    I also hear the 50 f1.8G focusing is niftier, the f1.4G is a fair bit slower, you can google Nikon 50mm f1.4G vs f1.8G.

    Thanks
    Po
    ___________________
    Po-Ming Chu
    POPHOTO

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    889
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Freaked Out! Trinity f1.8G!

    Is it me, or is Nikon having some inconsistencies in their QC testing of their lenses?
    I hate to talk about almost anything in a negative way, but if I do it's usually just to get the hairs of my test in frustration and loss in shipping and insurance costs due to returns.

    It did start out with my 50 f/1.8G, which exhibited misalignment in the elements that cause asymmetrical distortion, imagine a rectangle in the viewfinder of a perfect lens with an imaginary vertical (or horizontal or both) center line through the middle.

    Well my copy had it better on the left side when shooting a test chart, but on the right side it was heavily skewed down towards the top right corner and resulting in even more blurriness in that particular region.

    Now I have just received my brand new copy of the Nikon 24-120mm f/4G VR, and does something similar, but to a lesser degree mostly in the wider region. Again being the asymmetry.

    I don't know from others experience, but I hate the idea that I have to shop for a good copy of anything. I have owned Nikon gear in the past, in fact I was fairly heavily invested, before selling it all off, because I had two systems but decided to stay with my Canon system for some subjective reasons. In the past, I never felt I had to shop for items as described. In fact I great samples from Canon and Nikon. Only company I had to keep returning, and not for exchanges but for full refunds was Sigma, I now own the Canon mount Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG A1 lens, which I believe I got right in one shot! I love the lens

    However, today, I am trying to buy back into Nikon, but feel somewhat challenged

    The main reason I do the shots with test charts, is because anything off is instantly recognizable, instead of isolated portraiture with blurred bokeh backgrounds, believe me, I wished I never had to shoot these test images.

    -Rant End-
    ___________________
    Po-Ming Chu
    POPHOTO

  25. #25
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Freaked Out! Trinity f1.8G!

    Quote Originally Posted by pophoto View Post
    Hey Guy,

    I don't know if your message is directed at me or just at general, but I already own the 60 micro.
    I also hear the 50 f1.8G focusing is niftier, the f1.4G is a fair bit slower, you can google Nikon 50mm f1.4G vs f1.8G.

    Thanks
    Po
    Just in general. It sold and a 1.4 is on its way. I need the 1.4 for a project where I need heavier OOF areas. I might even go for a 135 f2 DC lens instead of the Zeiss 135. I have to shoot hundreds of k-8th graders for a big national ad campaign and I need a look to them. Great gig and I want heavy OOF areas.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  26. #26
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Freaked Out! Trinity f1.8G!

    Quote Originally Posted by pophoto View Post
    Is it me, or is Nikon having some inconsistencies in their QC testing of their lenses?
    I hate to talk about almost anything in a negative way, but if I do it's usually just to get the hairs of my test in frustration and loss in shipping and insurance costs due to returns.

    It did start out with my 50 f/1.8G, which exhibited misalignment in the elements that cause asymmetrical distortion, imagine a rectangle in the viewfinder of a perfect lens with an imaginary vertical (or horizontal or both) center line through the middle.

    Well my copy had it better on the left side when shooting a test chart, but on the right side it was heavily skewed down towards the top right corner and resulting in even more blurriness in that particular region.

    Now I have just received my brand new copy of the Nikon 24-120mm f/4G VR, and does something similar, but to a lesser degree mostly in the wider region. Again being the asymmetry.

    I don't know from others experience, but I hate the idea that I have to shop for a good copy of anything. I have owned Nikon gear in the past, in fact I was fairly heavily invested, before selling it all off, because I had two systems but decided to stay with my Canon system for some subjective reasons. In the past, I never felt I had to shop for items as described. In fact I great samples from Canon and Nikon. Only company I had to keep returning, and not for exchanges but for full refunds was Sigma, I now own the Canon mount Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG A1 lens, which I believe I got right in one shot! I love the lens

    However, today, I am trying to buy back into Nikon, but feel somewhat challenged

    The main reason I do the shots with test charts, is because anything off is instantly recognizable, instead of isolated portraiture with blurred bokeh backgrounds, believe me, I wished I never had to shoot these test images.

    -Rant End-
    Unfortunately this is becoming more common with QC and I guess we have to remember the sheer volume from these OEMs. I won't buy off e-bay used and only buy used from forum members as almost always they are honest to say if its a good copy and I buy new from B&H since I know I can return. Now I do buy from KEH used if no one here has what I need (rare as a lot of gear here) but they have a good return policy. Bottom line buy with return in mind. We all feel this frustration, I have been pretty lucky given I buy a lot but I have hit some bad glass even new.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  27. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    63
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: Freaked Out! Trinity f1.8G!

    I just got a new copy of the 85mm 1.8G....

    IMO its rubbish, I have never seen so much LoCA at F1.8 in any other lens so far. Its going back. So bad it was almost impossible to use the Lens align protractor when I was setting the microfocus.

    I found it unuseable.

    Not sure what to replace it with now seeing I returned a Samyang 85 for being SOFT and no better than the 70-200 @ 85mm

  28. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    las vegas
    Posts
    419
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Freaked Out! Trinity f1.8G!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tektrader View Post
    I just got a new copy of the 85mm 1.8G....

    IMO its rubbish, I have never seen so much LoCA at F1.8 in any other lens so far. Its going back. So bad it was almost impossible to use the Lens align protractor when I was setting the microfocus.

    I found it unuseable.

    Not sure what to replace it with now seeing I returned a Samyang 85 for being SOFT and no better than the 70-200 @ 85mm
    sounds like a bad copy. mine arrived tuesday, and i wanted to see if it would need a major focus adjust (it doesn't). informally, focusing on text in a cookbook, i definitely didn't observe that.
    --David

  29. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    889
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Freaked Out! Trinity f1.8G!

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Unfortunately this is becoming more common with QC and I guess we have to remember the sheer volume from these OEMs. I won't buy off e-bay used and only buy used from forum members as almost always they are honest to say if its a good copy and I buy new from B&H since I know I can return. Now I do buy from KEH used if no one here has what I need (rare as a lot of gear here) but they have a good return policy. Bottom line buy with return in mind. We all feel this frustration, I have been pretty lucky given I buy a lot but I have hit some bad glass even new.
    Unfortunately, all my new Nikon gear was purchased from the big two, B&H and Adorama. It's not an issue with them, it's a Nikon QC issue, but despite that, they still require you to pay shipping and insurance for returns.

    Let us know what you think of the 50f1.4G. I remember it not being great on the D700, it just didn't shine. They really need a pro version of a Nikon 50mm in my opinion.

    So Guy, did you end up buying four samples?
    ___________________
    Po-Ming Chu
    POPHOTO

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •