Site Sponsors

Thread: Nikon PC-E 24mm / D800E stitching experiment

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nikon PC-E 24mm / D800E stitching experiment

A quick experiment to produce an even larger file (70mp) stiching three shifted images on a D800E (link to large jpeg file) using the Nikon 24mm F/3.5 PC-E lens

Kitchen Image

And a smaller version

Sorry for the messy kitchen

Bear in mind that this is a kitchen in a very old house where the ceiling meanders all over the place, so it is not a good check of distortion. 70MP file.

Some vignetting, and some fall off at the edges of the frame. The main issues with this lens are the fiddly little control knobs and the very coarse focusing between 2m and infinity making achieving accurate focus a bit of a pain.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Nikon PC-E 24mm / D800E stitching experiment

But it worked, and that's what counts -- nice post!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    A quick experiment to produce an even larger file (70mp) stiching three shifted images on a D800E (link to large jpeg file) using the Nikon 24mm F/3.5 PC-E lens

Kitchen Image

And a smaller version

Sorry for the messy kitchen

Bear in mind that this is a kitchen in a very old house where the ceiling meanders all over the place, so it is not a good check of distortion. 70MP file.

Some vignetting, and some fall off at the edges of the frame. The main issues with this lens are the fiddly little control knobs and the very coarse focusing between 2m and infinity making achieving accurate focus a bit of a pain.
    Very nice Quentin. I had and enjoyed using the Canon 24 TS-E II for stitched landscapes with the 5D2, but sold it with the rest of my Canon gear last year. I was thinking of getting the Nikon 24 PC-E, but may wait and see how the Samyang 24 TS performs.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Carl,

The Nikon 24mm PC-E is a good lens, but for stitched panos, I still think I am better off with the DP2M and Nodal Ninja III pano head.

Where the Nikon is good is in single shot mode, e.g. the image below, using front tilt to keep the font in the foregound and the stained glass window in focus.

Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    Hi Carl,

The Nikon 24mm PC-E is a good lens, but for stitched panos, I still think I am better off with the DP2M and Nodal Ninja III pano head.

Where the Nikon is good is in single shot mode, e.g. the image below, using front tilt to keep the font in the foregound and the stained glass window in focus.

Lovely image. You are right Quentin, it is hard to do any better than the Merrills for stitched panos. Taking the DP2M and travel tripod on a trip to Germany next month and leaving the heavy gear at home.
    Carl
    Gallery