The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon PC-E 24mm / D800E stitching experiment

Quentin_Bargate

A quick experiment to produce an even larger file (70mp) stiching three shifted images on a D800E (link to large jpeg file) using the Nikon 24mm F/3.5 PC-E lens

Kitchen Image

And a smaller version

Sorry for the messy kitchen :p

Bear in mind that this is a kitchen in a very old house where the ceiling meanders all over the place, so it is not a good check of distortion. 70MP file.

Some vignetting, and some fall off at the edges of the frame. The main issues with this lens are the fiddly little control knobs and the very coarse focusing between 2m and infinity making achieving accurate focus a bit of a pain.

scho

A quick experiment to produce an even larger file (70mp) stiching three shifted images on a D800E (link to large jpeg file) using the Nikon 24mm F/3.5 PC-E lens

Kitchen Image

And a smaller version

Sorry for the messy kitchen :p

Bear in mind that this is a kitchen in a very old house where the ceiling meanders all over the place, so it is not a good check of distortion. 70MP file.

Some vignetting, and some fall off at the edges of the frame. The main issues with this lens are the fiddly little control knobs and the very coarse focusing between 2m and infinity making achieving accurate focus a bit of a pain.
Very nice Quentin. I had and enjoyed using the Canon 24 TS-E II for stitched landscapes with the 5D2, but sold it with the rest of my Canon gear last year. I was thinking of getting the Nikon 24 PC-E, but may wait and see how the Samyang 24 TS performs.

Quentin_Bargate

Hi Carl,

The Nikon 24mm PC-E is a good lens, but for stitched panos, I still think I am better off with the DP2M and Nodal Ninja III pano head.

Where the Nikon is good is in single shot mode, e.g. the image below, using front tilt to keep the font in the foregound and the stained glass window in focus.

scho

Hi Carl,

The Nikon 24mm PC-E is a good lens, but for stitched panos, I still think I am better off with the DP2M and Nodal Ninja III pano head.

Where the Nikon is good is in single shot mode, e.g. the image below, using front tilt to keep the font in the foregound and the stained glass window in focus.

Lovely image. You are right Quentin, it is hard to do any better than the Merrills for stitched panos. Taking the DP2M and travel tripod on a trip to Germany next month and leaving the heavy gear at home.