The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Nikon D600 - D800 - D800E firmware

Quentin_Bargate

"With live view photography in [M] (Manual) exposure mode, exposure preview was always on. This issue has been resolved."

This alone makes the upgrade worthwhile

Is there an easy way to turn exposure preview mode on while in Manual?
The histogram is more useful, but sometimes it would be good to get a quick preview.

[Edited to answer my own question:]
Yes, hitting OK toggles exposure preview along with the histogram and the exposure scale.

Last edited:
Am I dreaming, or does 100% zoom in live view no longer look interpolated?

I've only played with this for a minute, so I can't tell for sure. The display looks more crisp down to the pixel level. It's less obvious in low light. The noise looks like noise, not interpolated pixels. it feels easier to focus.

If this is true, then they just fixed my biggest complaint about the camera.

Last edited:

pophoto

On the D800, I had noticed the zoom feels better as you say, not sure if I am seeing things as you say!

I did notice something that scared me a little though!
I switch between AF-S and AF-C (51 pt). In playback mode (yes, I chimp!), I have set to highlight my focus region. After the update, it was doing something really strange, it was mirroring my AF point instead of where it was set; for example, in landscape orientation if I set it to the right, playback shows to the left side. In vertical orientation, if I set it to top left, playback displayed the point to the bottom right!

I set it back to center fired a few more shots when I saw this happen at least four times, and then playback was normal again. Yes, there seems to be a bug somewhere. I'm not sure if it will repeat again. I will tell you that focus was off in those instances!

celina20

Am I dreaming, or does 100% zoom in live view no longer look interpolated?

I've only played with this for a minute, so I can't tell for sure. The display looks more crisp down to the pixel level. It's less obvious in low light. The noise looks like noise, not interpolated pixels. it feels easier to focus.

If this is true, then they just fixed my biggest complaint about the camera.
+ 1

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
I think 100% LV looks a lot better. They may have just improved the interpolation algorithm, but it's definitely easier to focus now. But then I don't use it much, so I'm probably not the most reliable judge. I may start using it more!

I used it again last night in lower light ... ISO 100, f8, 1/13 second. At this light level the screen still looks terrible at 100%. It may be easier to focus than it was before the update. But piles and piles of noise. The improvements I crowed about were at higher light levels.

I suspect Jan is right; if they changed anything it's the interpolation scheme. It's still interpolated, and it's still noisy in the dark.