Site Sponsors

Thread: FIGHT CLUB! 24mm f1.4G

Post Thanks / Like

FIGHT CLUB! 24mm f1.4G

Why doesn't anyone talk about the Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G?

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: FIGHT CLUB! 24mm f1.4G

Cause I have a Zeiss 25 F2 which I like better. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Guy: ...but why, what does the Nikkor 24mm not live upto the Zeiss 25?

Is it that much sharper, better control of flare, rendering, all the above, or just having a Zeiss (subjective or objective), I'm asking since Nikon is asking a lot for a date?

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The 24 does not have the corners and it felt like veiling look wide open. It's a nice lens but the Zeiss has more bit and better corners. Color I like the Zeiss as well. It's also smaller
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased a 25 f2, 35 f2 and 100 f2 Zeiss and returned them due to very disappointing edge and corner performance wide open. I had to stop down to f8 to get decent corners and that wasn't acceptable. Most of my work is documentary and shot under terrible to non existant light and most of my shooting is between f1.4 - f4. I didn't even bother with the Nikkor's but bought current high speed Leica glass and an M9. There's no perfect lens IMO. The nikkor glass has fantastic flare controll and the Zeiss does as well but as mentioned the Zeiss disappointed me. I guess I had expected the reflex glass to perform like my Zeiss ZM and it didn't. The Leica glass is very sharp (24 elmar, 35 summilux fle, 50 sumilux asph, 75 summilux and 90 apo asph summicron) but they lack flare controll. As long as the light is not in front of th elens you're fine but if you have a back lit subject it's terrible. Also the M9 is way behind in image quality vs the D800 or most any current Canon or Nikon. I have a D3100 for vacation shooting and like the look of the images better than the M9. The little lenses I have aren't up to Leica but the color and raw files are better IMO.

I'm not a landscape shooter as mentioned so you results and demands may be different.

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.yousendit.com/download/U...NkdsamMxWjhUQw

Above is the Nikkor 24mm 1.4G compared to the Leica S30mm... the Nikkor is pretty good but less resistant against flare,and It will (as Guy said..) have some veiling flare wide open.. But i like it anyway and has A.F which the Zeiss doesn't..

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I shot both the 21mm zf.2 vs the 24mm f1.4g against the same scene. They were close, but the Zeiss had the edge in the corners @ 100 % crops, and better micro contrast. There's more CA @1.4 with the 24mm 1.4G, but stopped down a little and the lens has stunning resolution in the center. AF does come in handy when shooting action.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johnnygoesdigital View Post
    I shot both the 21mm zf.2 vs the 24mm f1.4g against the same scene. They were close, but the Zeiss had the edge in the corners @ 100 % crops, and better micro contrast. There's more CA @1.4 with the 24mm 1.4G, but stopped down a little and the lens has stunning resolution in the center. AF does come in handy when shooting action.
    How about from f/5.6, f/8 and f/11?
    Do the edges improve and CA?

Thanks Po

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, there's improvement in the CA stopped down with the 24mm1.4G. Corners are slightly better too. If you were primarily shooting landscape then the ZF.2 is a good choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have no particular issue with the 24/1.4G, but don't lust after one either. In my case it's more that I prefer the 20 and 28 to the 24, so never really need to reach for it. I do use the 24 PCE a lot, but often crop it slightly. Then my new favorite wide is an old crusty 17-35/2.8. I really like the versatility of that zoom range, and for whatever reason I really like the way that lens -- at least my copy of it -- draws.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Jack I had the older 17-35/2.8 before I sold off my D700 and Nikon gear, but I really liked the lens too, although I would have thought it lacking on the D800/E. I was thinking to give the newer 16-35/4 VRII a try!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have to say that my copy does not "lack" on the D800/D800E except in the extreme corners. Extreme edges remain very usable, though not as crisp as that central 2/3rds of the IC, which is exceptionally sharp.
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pophoto View Post
    Jack I had the older 17-35/2.8 before I sold off my D700 and Nikon gear, but I really liked the lens too, although I would have thought it lacking on the D800/E. I was thinking to give the newer 16-35/4 VRII a try!
    I had a number of posts (one going in-depth) regarding the performance of the Nikon 17-35mm f2.8 on the D800e. It's actually quite good although at certain focal lengths in definitely shows some weakness in the corners. Pluses though it is a good focal length spread, relatively compact in size compared to others covering these focal lengths, resistance to flair, all with very low distortion. Stopping down to at least f5.6 really improves on areas of corner/edge weakness.

I believe Jack has or has had this lens too wit his D800/e.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

won't compare to my Leica 24mm summilux, but it's not bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks good Jazz -- I especially like the way it/D800 combo handle contrast too I am on a mini trip with family this weekend, mounted my 17-35 on my E and that is all the gear I brought -- no bag, no extra battery, no extra cards, just a camera and lens... Having a great time with it, and love the simplicity. Just a FWIW
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jack, not my best work, just a couple of frames I dug up. I am considering getting a D800E down the line, I'll then see how the 24 and a few other lenses do, before I make up my mind what I keep, what I sell, as I sell down in some ways, but keep what works for me. I am particularly interested in seeing what the 45 PCE does on a D800E. Could be magical. 200VR too should be awesome.