The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

First Pro Assignment - The Nutcracker

etrigan63

Well I am happy to report that I have just shot my first job as a professional photographer. Ballet Etudes Company of South Florida hired me as the official photog for their presentation of "The Nutcracker". I rented a Nikkor 200mm f/2 AF-S VR ED lens for the job (thank you, David Farkas) and here are some highlights from the 3500 photos I shot:

When I get them all culled and prepped, I will post a link to my pro gallery. I have a lot of work ahead of me.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Carlos

What a great 1st assignment! Your work looks excellent and the 200VR was a good choice. I can still remember sneaking my M and the Noctilux in to shoot the Nutcracker . Nothing like a Nikon and the 200VR.

Now you have the real challenge ......editing 3500 down to what ...maybe 100? Good luck with your assignment. Looking forward to see the results.

Roger

etrigan63

Thanks Roger. I've got quite a few anxious parents waiting to see the results of my efforts. BTW, in case you're wondering, I was seated in the last row in the Handicapped area, center stage.

Taken with my iPhone

The toughest part of the actual shoot itself was that I didn't get to see the dress rehearsal and shot the first night cold turkey. And I never used this lens before.

fotografz

Congratulations and welcome to "Club Pro" ;)

That 200/2 VR is something isn't it? Perfect choice for that assignment.

I'll be using mine on New Year's Eve for a paying job.

Can't wait to see more of your shots.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Good work Carlos. Next time try a monopod which will give you more speed to move than the tripod. I shot many stage images in my past , worked for the theatre, opera and symphony. Ektachrome Tungsten 160 pushed to 320. You know that was awhile back

etrigan63

Thanks for the tip Guy. I was using a Gitzo G1278M ballhead on my tripod which I controlled with my left hand while shooting with my right. I was able to tilt/pan easily and remain seated for the 2+ hr show.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Tripods are great but during dress rehearsals sometimes you want to move and the monopod is a little easier also you can tilt faster than being on a flat plane. This is a lot like shooting runway and going up and down is really fast this way. Something to try and see how it flows for you. Especially with the big gun lenses that are heavy and your in tight like 3/4 length stuff

durrIII

Very nice Carlos. I love The Nutcracker. My daughter danced in it for several years.
I saw your print that you sent to Mark Howell. Love it as does he. thanks for joining in on our little swap.

-Durr Wise

etrigan63

Well, I'd like to give credit where credit is due. If it wasn't for you guys and all of the help you provide, I wouldn't have been confident enough to do this job.

Lars

Congrats, Carlos! That last frame is stunning, very dynamic. (Not the one from your iPhone LOL)

Looks like tricky lighting WRT color - did you try to do anything about that? Probably difficult if the lighting changed color over time.

etrigan63

Congrats, Carlos! That last frame is stunning, very dynamic. (Not the one from your iPhone LOL)

Looks like tricky lighting WRT color - did you try to do anything about that? Probably difficult if the lighting changed color over time.
Believe it or not Lars, that Arabian Dance shot was color corrected in Aperture. The Arabian Prince conveniently wore white, but the stage manager has obviously been rolling and smoking his colored gels. The fool changed colors on me practically every scene! Very photog unfriendly if you ask me. I am uploading the Day One shots as we speak. I managed to cull them down from 1746 to 225. Not all are as good as the ones I posted here, but I have parents looking to me provide them with shots of their children in the show. Tomorrow I tackle Day Two.

etrigan63

Well the First Show Gallery is up. You are welcome to see it here. On the first night I used my 18-200 a bit in the 2nd Act. My Second Show Gallery (when I am finished) will have almost all of the shots from the 200/2 VR.

etrigan63

On a side note, my kids attend an arts and music school here in Miami and when the Director saw my photos she asked me to shoot the rest of the school events. I also teach a Photo Workshop there and she told me that next school year we are going to formalize that to a Conservatory class. Hopefully this will get me at least a break on tuition.