The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The good Nikkors?

Lars

With Nikon stepping up its top of the line body to 20+ megapixels, new demands are raised on optical qualities. Obviously this is approx the same pixel pitch as 12 Mpx DX format but using a larger image circle.

Which FX lenses (Nikon and others) would you say are up to the task WRT resolution?

fotografz

Probably most of the newer lenses like: 14-24/2.8, 24-70/2,8, 200/2VR ... and maybe the 100/2.8 VR Macro.

Pretty sure the Zeiss ZF 28/2, 35/2 and 50/2 Macro will do very well, I'd have to see the 85/1.4 ... but I used the older Zeiss Contax 85/1.4 adapted to a Canon 1DsMKII and it held up quite well.

V

Vivek

I agree with Marc on the first three lenses but no on the VR Macro.

I would add 85/2.8 PC Nikkor, 200/4 Micro Nikkor, 105/2.8 AiS, 50-135/3.5 AiS
to the list.

Oh, yes the 10.5mm DX fisheye with its hood cut off (would be a circular fisheye). Superb clarity!

fotografz

I agree with Marc on the first three lenses but no on the VR Macro.

I would add 85/2.8 PC Nikkor, 200/4 Micro Nikkor, 105/2.8 AiS, 50-135/3.5 AiS
to the list.

Oh, yes the 10.5mm DX fisheye with its hood cut off (would be a circular fisheye). Superb clarity!
Yeah, I forgot about the 85/2.8 PC, that's an amazing lens for an old stroker.

I wondered about the 100 VR ... marginal at best I guess.

Wouldn't the 10.5mm DX automatically trigger the DX crop on a FX camera?

V

Vivek

Marc, Not on the D3 (ie You can record a near circular frame beyond the APS-C area). Don't know about the D3x.

Lars

How about the 60/2.8 Macro? Also curious about the 200/2 VR, seems to be a very fine lens.

I have to say I'm a little bit skeptical towards any AiS lens on 24 Mpx WRT resolution - especially zooms designed 20 years ago. But I don't have any experience of the two lenses mentioned by Vivek.

Film never was as demanding in terms of resolution - or more correctly, with film we never went pixel-peeping! Looking at film, there is no fixed resolving limit, so you tend to accept a slight lens softness as a property of the film if it's at the grain level.

Of my own lenses I'd say if would be interesting to try the 180/2.8D on 24 megapixels. and my other primes - 16/2.8D fisheye, 20/2.8D, 85/1.4D, 135/2D DC, 300/4 AF.

M

marknorton

One lens which disappoints on the D3 is the 70-200/2.8 VR. It's almost as if this lens was designed when they thought FX was never going to happen. It gives very good results in a DX frame then falls apart rapidly outside it. I use it on a D3 with DX crop set so in effect it's a 105-300mm. The attraction of using it on a D3x would be the 10Mp or so resolution of that DX cropped image.

Other lenses for me would be the 17-35/2.8 and 60/2.8 though I'm keen to try the newer AF-S version. I'm more enthusiastic about the 105/2.8 VR than some.

The big question for me is whether the new AF-S 50/1.4 marks a commitment to producing some top drawer primes. A fast prime should offer outstanding image quality wide open, otherwise what's the point?

V

Vivek

I have to say I'm a little bit skeptical towards any AiS lens on 24 Mpx WRT resolution - especially zooms designed 20 years ago. But I don't have any experience of the two lenses mentioned by Vivek.
The 50-135 f/3.5 AiS was made for two years. Even today it is a very sharp lens. One of the best zooms from Nikon.

All micronikkors (manual focus) should do alright on the new D3x.

The PC-Nikkor 28mm f/3.5 also should do OK. This one has a slight edge in terms of resolution over any of the 28mm primes from Nikon (either that or I have the best sample ever made!).

robmac

I'd add the CV 90/3.5, 180/4 close focus APOs and 125/2.5 Macro APO to the list. Have used all three (on 1Ds2) and they are stellar ad would be up to the task on a higher-MP sensor.

The ZF line are great resolution-wise (have owned the 35, 50/2 and 100/2) but was personally less than impressed with their CA/fringing control - although on a Nikon body (and using NX2) that would be mitigated somewhat

There's the Coastal Optics 60mm uber-macro (AiS mount) - but she's a tad on the spendy side ;> While designed for UV/IR work, it apparently is nothing short of stunning in terms of resolution and "as seen" color-delivery within the visible spectrum as well. The lens's designer (Brian Caldwell IIRC) is a casual poster on FM's Alternate Glass forum as "brianc1959".

If you don't mind stopped down- the new Leica R- Nikon conversion kits (see related post) would enable the use of lenses like the 100 APO, 90 APO, etc, - all easily up to the task of a high-MP 24*36mm sensor.

V

Vivek

There's the Coastal Optics 60mm uber-macro (AiS mount) - but she's a tad on the spendy side ;> While designed for UV/IR work, it apparently is nothing short of stunning in terms of resolution and "as seen" color-delivery within the visible spectrum as well. The lens's designer (Brian Caldwell IIRC) is a casual poster on FM's Alternate Glass forum as "brianc1959".
Anyone who would spend $5,000 on a macro lens other than ultraviolet captures ought to go for mental health check-up!:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

jonoslack

With Nikon stepping up its top of the line body to 20+ megapixels, new demands are raised on optical qualities. Obviously this is approx the same pixel pitch as 12 Mpx DX format but using a larger image circle.

Which FX lenses (Nikon and others) would you say are up to the task WRT resolution?
HI Lars
I'd have thought that most of the recent telephotos would be okay (because of the larger image circle). wider than 100mm I reckon you'll not do well with anything except the 24-70 and 14-50, and I don't think you'll be jumping for joy with the corners on them either.

I'm sure that some of the ZF lenses will be good, but again, the wides are likely to suffer (if from curvature of field if nothing else).

V

Vivek

Ah, but one could say that about a LOT of gear we buy.....
I am yet to see anything that proves that it is better lens than the 60mm Micronikkors for visible shots.

No, this is over the top if it isn't used for UV. It is an UV lens. No one needs fluorite and quartz glass for visible light or infrared captures. It won't even autofocus on a Nikon camera.

OTOH, if it is a brag factor, sure yes!:ROTFL::ROTFL:

T

TimF

There's some 200mm/2 samples available (without the subs) on Lloyd Chambers blog. They look cracking good, even as small web images.