The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best zoom (IQ) for Nikon D7100?

Hi

I sold almost all of my Sony/Zeiss System and have to decide now between Fuji X-System und Nikon D7100 as my future System (Pentax is no longer on my short list because of price reasons).

To be able to get a better feeling about different possibilities, I need advise for an excellent zoom for the Nikon D7100. It shall meet or exceed the IQ of the Fuji X 18-55 zoom and have a similar focal lenght range. Not too heavy, not too big. But IQ is the most important factor, to be able to really use the 24MP sensor.

Which zoom would you recommend?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm tempted to say none, but there are a few decent ones:

The Nikkor 16-85mm has a good reputation
The Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, non-VC version
The Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8

But the best bet is probably the not yet released Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8.

Are they better than the Fuji? Possibly not, but I haven't used the Fuji myself.

That sounds disappointing. Does anybody has already experience with the new version of the Sigma 17-70/2.8-4 "C" on a 24MP Dx sensor?

Walter K

if you are aware of the strong field curvature of the Nikon AF2.8/17-55mm - it's IMHO the best so far... :thumbup: as the Sigma must be released first...

It renders with power and strong colors and has strong DOF potential. AF is superfast...