The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma 35mm 1.4 / D800 e AF issues

Lightleak

Ok, sounds like a plan. The auto focus on this one actually works very well, I nailed the focus at f1.4 on all shots when I challenged it in the shop. I see the veeeery slightly stronger softness on the right side you are talking about, but I can hardly imagine there is a better one out there. You should keep this one. However if you don't, you have a buyer, haha.

I will report as soon as I have checked the second copy.

Best regards!

tashley

Subscriber Member
Oh I'm keeping it! No one is getting this one! Now I just have to think of a name for it. Just trying to think of something appropriate and non-blasphemous for a miraculous baby :D

Quentin_Bargate

Tim

Incidentally, may we assume your new Avatar was taken the moment you first discovered a problem with your original Sigma F/1.4? :)

I don't have your patience for testing, unfortunately, but glad you do and that you have found your near-perfect Sigma. The lesson clearly is that Sigma's quality control has yet to catch up with their first-class design capability.

johnnygoesdigital

Many variables can effect a lens characteristics, but I for one am glad I didn't turn this lens away based on user reports or hype on QC. Simply dropping a box in transit can be the culprit. This is to date, the finest wide lens i've used on the D800, with virtually no lens AF adjustment. I eagerly await the release of the 120-300 f2.8.

Sigma 35mm 1.4DG HSM

Last edited:

MarekGlaser

My copy of the lens is great except for the outer focus issue on the D800.

I just tried it out on my D4 using FoCal 1.9 and the center point is working great giving me a AF micro-adjustment value of +4. With the far left focus point however it is predicting a value of -40. Whether testing with FoCal and a test target or portrait shooting, the outer focus points are not usable.

What I'm wondering now is this something that a firmware update will be able to correct or will I need to return it and try for another copy.