Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Rokonon 24 TS

  1. #1
    Sr. Administrator Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    10,486
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1031
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

    "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

  2. #2
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Rokonon 24 TS

    What I briefly read . You get what you pay for, not much.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  3. #3
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rokonon 24 TS

    Jack, I was going to but Roger Cicala just published a quick first look and I changed my mind....

  4. #4
    Not Available
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    53
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rokonon 24 TS

    Tim. Did you read Part I and II?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,538
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rokonon 24 TS

    Here's resolution shots by digital picture made on a 1Ds3 (21 megapixel) on the samyang, here compared with the Nikon PC-E 24 on a D3s (24 megapixel, ie tiny bit smaller pixel pitch):

    Samyang 24 tilt-shift vs Nikon PC-E 24

    note that there seems to be an error when you choose +12 or -12 shift sometimes show supersharp images (could be some web browser caching bug on my side though) so you need to look at both +12 and -12 to and pick the worst

    In medium format terms +12mm shift means +17mm for 48x36mm sensors and +19mm for 54x41mm sensors. You can look at the more normal shifts 6mm instead (ie corresponding 8mm / 9mm on medium format).

    You can also compare to the Canon TS-E 24mm II which currently is "as good as it gets", I own that myself and consider f/10 to be ideal shooting aperture on that, it's not really an f/8 lens.

    A few comments on the results: The Samyang is really bad wide open, maybe so bad that it can make focusing on live view difficult especially with the lens shifted? Stopped down to normal shooting apertures it looks decent, but at the extreme 12 mm shift still the Nikon has better contrast and sharpness. The Nikon has more chromatic aberration but that is quite easily fixed in post-processing while the general fuzz of the Samyang is harder to sharpen. At the more normal 6mm shift and f/11 the Samyang looks quite good actually, *maybe* better than the Nikon depending on sample variations, but you need to stop down because at f/8 the Nikon has the advantage again.

    Good price/performance of the Samyang, and great to have independent tilt/shift, but a small step down in image quality from the Nikon PC-E 24, except possible with smaller shift at f/11.

  6. #6
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Rokonon 24 TS

    Does not sound too good. That's a real bummer too.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  7. #7
    Senior Member KeithL's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    832
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rokonon 24 TS

    Come on Canon, give us a sensor that takes full advantage of those TS-E lenses!

  8. #8
    Senior Member Swissblad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,204
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rokonon 24 TS

    Quote Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
    Come on Canon, give us a sensor that takes full advantage of those TS-E lenses!
    Absolutely the correct posting on a Nikon forum...

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,538
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rokonon 24 TS

    Forgot to mention that the Samyang has 2.3% barrel distortion, not an extreme value but I'd say enough to require correction in architecture and similar work.

    As a comparison, the Canon TS-E 24II has 0.9%, Nikon PC-E 1.4%. Compared to medium format technical camera lenses we have Rodenstock Digaron-W 40 (about same FoV on 54x41mm) at 1.3% and Schneider 35mm at 0.5%.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    306
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rokonon 24 TS

    It seems to me that the lens is badly decentered, -12 pretty good (v.slightly better than the Canon) but +12 pretty bad. I had cancelled my backorder but if both shifts were as good as -12 I'd probably reorder

    Quote Originally Posted by torger View Post
    Here's resolution shots by digital picture made on a 1Ds3 (21 megapixel) on the samyang, here compared with the Nikon PC-E 24 on a D3s (24 megapixel, ie tiny bit smaller pixel pitch):

    Samyang 24 tilt-shift vs Nikon PC-E 24

    note that there seems to be an error when you choose +12 or -12 shift sometimes show supersharp images (could be some web browser caching bug on my side though) so you need to look at both +12 and -12 to and pick the worst

    In medium format terms +12mm shift means +17mm for 48x36mm sensors and +19mm for 54x41mm sensors. You can look at the more normal shifts 6mm instead (ie corresponding 8mm / 9mm on medium format).

    You can also compare to the Canon TS-E 24mm II which currently is "as good as it gets", I own that myself and consider f/10 to be ideal shooting aperture on that, it's not really an f/8 lens.

    A few comments on the results: The Samyang is really bad wide open, maybe so bad that it can make focusing on live view difficult especially with the lens shifted? Stopped down to normal shooting apertures it looks decent, but at the extreme 12 mm shift still the Nikon has better contrast and sharpness. The Nikon has more chromatic aberration but that is quite easily fixed in post-processing while the general fuzz of the Samyang is harder to sharpen. At the more normal 6mm shift and f/11 the Samyang looks quite good actually, *maybe* better than the Nikon depending on sample variations, but you need to stop down because at f/8 the Nikon has the advantage again.

    Good price/performance of the Samyang, and great to have independent tilt/shift, but a small step down in image quality from the Nikon PC-E 24, except possible with smaller shift at f/11.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,538
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rokonon 24 TS

    Quote Originally Posted by mbroomfield View Post
    It seems to me that the lens is badly decentered, -12 pretty good (v.slightly better than the Canon) but +12 pretty bad. I had cancelled my backorder but if both shifts were as good as -12 I'd probably reorder
    I don't think it's decentering, but some wrong in the images. The -6 and -12 don't even show the same distortion, my guess is that the wrong images have been stored, those images look unreasonably good for maximum shift for any lens.

  12. #12
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rokonon 24 TS

    Yup, something's wrong with that test or with the way the images have been loaded... I also suspect that they have used LV to refocus each of the centre/corner/edge shots because they Nikon has more curvature than that in my experience...

  13. #13
    Senior Member KeithL's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    832
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rokonon 24 TS

    Tim, love the all new improved avatar, the old one was just so Bullingdon Club

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    55
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rokonon 24 TS


  15. #15
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rokonon 24 TS

    Quote Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
    Tim, love the all new improved avatar, the old one was just so Bullingdon Club
    To my eternal social shame, I was never a member. Had I been, I'd probably be prime minister now, rather than a tired old photo hack...

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    306
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rokonon 24 TS

    Quote Originally Posted by jph View Post
    Thanks for the link. It shows the same huge difference between shifts. 2 screwed up tests?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •