The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Life View on for a long period of time.

Hello guys, I'm on a still life project where the images are to be taking almost entirely from above, overhead shot/views.

It is difficult for my back to take this stress for too long so I'm planning on leaving the Live View in through Capture One on while composing the image.

My question is, Does it damage the Camera? Nikon D800 actually.

The screen on the camera is going to be off as the life view image is going to come in the Laptop.

If it is known to overheat or damage the sensor please let me know.

ACH

Last edited:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

I wouldn't worry too much about it, according to p. 56 in the D800 Manual "Live view may end automatically to prevent damage to the camera’s internal circuits;"

I would just keep an eye with the heating level of the camera and / or the battery, and maybe give the camera a break now and then to let it cool off a bit, again see p. 56.

Btw. there was this thread about noticeable heating (also mentioned p. 56 in the manual): http://www.getdpi.com/forum/nikon/4...d-battery-compartment-lv-mode.html#post457249

Well today I did the test for 20 minutes.

Camera connected to laptop with CaptureOne 7 and software live view on. The camera temperature felt normal. Less than a quarter battery drain.

I think is a long enough for composing one shot, then rest the camera for a while to continue with the next one.

ACH

Last edited:

danielmoore

I had a D700 shut down on me after reaching it's live view limit, probably 40 minutes or so. The last image it recorded was shades of red only. After a half hour it was fine again with no lasting effects.

Re: Live View on for a long period of time.

I had a D700 shut down on me after reaching it's live view limit, probably 40 minutes or so. The last image it recorded was shades of red only. After a half hour it was fine again with no lasting effects.
Daniel, where you using the live view actually from the camera itself?

danielmoore

Yes, not tethered in this case. I was doing some macro work and apparently taking too long : ). I would speculate that the constant draw on the sensor would be the same stress in either mode.

V

Vivek

I would speculate that the constant draw on the sensor would be the same stress in either mode.
Actually, no. :)

Here is a tip (holds true for any camera with live view):

Connect whatever cables that can be connected- USB, HDMI, etc to the camera while shooting live view for a long time. The longer the cable, the better and also the better the quality of the cable (gold plated connections and such) the better results. All these cables drain/dissipate heat from the main board.