Site Sponsors

Thread: Who needs AF? Zeiss 35mm 1.4 just rocks!

Post Thanks / Like

Who needs AF? Zeiss 35mm 1.4 just rocks!

Ok, just kidding on the AF stuff. As I get older I find I could use AF in about 60% of my pictures. But I still find it hard to get rid of the manual focus glass especially when it performs so well.

See larger versions here http://www.ag2si.com/standardgallery...1352&showall=1
    Last edited by ryc; 20th May 2013 at 20:34.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who needs AF? Zeiss 35mm 1.4 just rocks!

i do!!

at least, on modern 35mm. parted with a tremendous zeiss 100/2 makro over the lack of AF actually. (and i don't shoot enough 35mm film with a split prism to warrant a $1200+ lens. lol)

i'm a huge fan of the Zeiss glass though. often they manage to get the look and the resolution. which it seems you've tapped into quite effectively. quite the character there too.

possibly my favorite manual lens is a Minolta 135/2.8 i picked up for my students to use. sharp as you could want, and lovely OOF rendering. i was dumbfounded that $30 on ebay would produce such quality. lol

i have to say though...there's nothing quite as thrilling as knowing beyond a shadow of a doubt that you've got critical focus, on the ground glass of a LF camera. just getting back into LF after 7 years without it.
    --David

Post Thanks / Like

I loved the IQ of 35mm f1.4 Zf.2. What I don't like is the size.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I loved the 35/1.4 and I've bought and sold it twice due to the challenges of focusing with that lens' field curvature. To totally nail it I'd have to resort to live view and so in the end I traded over to a Nikon 35/1.4 for the convenience.

Great lens and wonderful rendering but not the easiest to focus in my experience at least.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"