Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 28mm for D800(e)?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 28mm for D800(e)?

Isn't the Nikon consumer grade priced to begin with? At it's price point, I would say it is. They can call it a G or an L whatever they want, at 700 bucks, you aren't going to get super quality, IMO.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well at 2.8 on a 1.8 lens in the center it should be better. My Sigma 35mm 1.4 at 800 dollars will smoke this. So if Sigma can put out that kind of lens for 800 than Nikon certainly should be able too.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing better than waking up to a proper lens comparison test, haha!

Indeed the center area comparison is rather disillusioning regarding the performance of the 28mm/1.8g at wider apertures (up to f5,6 maybe even). The 19mm flexes its muscles and the crowds are impressed for a reason. The 28mm @ f8 looks quite good though, and from other photos I have looked at it stays good up to f11 (with only a extremely slight deterioration due to diffraction, which would make it interesting for landscape..). Guy, have you noticed the „smeared“/„blurred“ areas at around 5.6 in some areas of an imagined Doughnut fitting into the frame with the 28mm?

Photojazz, I don't believe there is a direct correlation between price and quality on lenses. My 50mm 1.4G is *very* good on the D800e and it is a very cheap lens. Of course it might not be the same looking at relatively fast and wide lenses, but still.

Personally I had almost decided on the 28/1.8g, but these results are a bit of a bummer as I only need it for landscape/cityscape related subjects, especially with the focus shift you mention. I will try one though maybe next week at a local shop where they agreed to let me have a go at it for a couple of minutes.
    „All I need“ is a 24mm/2.8 without issues and the quality of the sigma 35mm. At an affordable price please.

If the new Zeiss line will be as good as promised and features an incredible 24mm, I already see myself selling my old Hasselblad & lenses, the old Rollei, my mountain bike, my left kidney and my soul to get one.

Post Thanks / Like

28 1.4D on D800E, Topaz processing

/M-TP240/MM+Luxious trinity(24:35:50) + 75 2.0 APO ASPH Cron + Nikon D3X/D700, 58 1.2 noct, 28 1.4d,200VR + Zeiss 35/50/100 + 135mm 2.0 DC, 17-35/24-70/70-200VRII, Einstein studio...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I looked at my Sigma test today i shot a little while back of the same scene as the 28mm and the sigma just hammers it as well as my 50 1.4 and to put it in prospective wide open they are very good but when the 35 and 50 at 2.8 its equal to the Leica 19mm at 2.8 and actually they are both really good at F2 exactly what they should be as well. The Nikon I'm afraid is not living up to any of my lenses at pretty much any aperture except maybe F8. Thats not good but again this maybe due to a just a okay copy and I want to run another test on it just to be sure. I got nice results with it at 5.6 and f8 on my big job that looked good but they where not killer good like the Sigma was at the same apertures. Right now Im in the middle of another big project but maybe I can sneak out early in the morning and run a test against the 35 and 28 and see where I am at.

Price BTW has nothing to do with it either. I had a couple 50 1.8 G lenses just to have and they kicked butt at 220 dollars. Sure it had no look to it but it was sharp as hell. My 85 1.8 is every bit as good as its 1.4 brother and my new purchase a 20 year old design 135mm DC lens is a laser.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

points taken on price, it doesn't have to be expensive to be good, it's just most off the time the expensive ones are good, so it sort of conditions us that way I guess.

Rub it in, I miss my 105 and 135 DC lenses, great glass.

Well, I am trying to rectify some of those wrongs, of special glass I let go. Maybe I will get back to a nice 105 and/or 135.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lol the DC lenses still preform well on these sensors. I'm pretty impressed by the 135.

I should point out lenses that have a look or character regardless of costs may not be the best technical lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

Right, I totally understand what you mean, it's about the character/signature of the lens, and of course, now with more demanding bodies, how they react to those as well, as i am finding out!

Of course some things that are good, stay good, or at least it seems like it! 28 1.4D, love having that back in my bag... not cheap, but worth what I had to pay, even if I did buy an import, not a US lens, and no box. boxes don't take photos though, lenses and cameras do, heh.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy,

while looking at the last two comparison pics I noticed that the focus of the 28mm was probably not on the flower bucket (which is the most prominent part of the image and thus makes the best comparison area). If you look at the logo printed onto the window glass behind one of the curtains on the right that says „Rose Tea Room“, that seems to be really sharp, much more comparable to the same area in the 19mm lens image.

Also, the little patinated copper hook just right above the word „Room“ is oof as well.

So, what do you think - could this be a matter of the smaller depth of field of the 28mm lens combined with a different focus point rather than a bad copy of the lens?

Best regards,

Harald

edit: I am pretty sure the 19mm would still be sharper by quite a bit, but maybe the 28mm flower bucket wouldn't look so lousy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just shot a whole new series this morning and review is here. This for sure is focused squarely on the bottom flower pot itself.

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/nikon/46...rt-series.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paulraphael View Post

New Jersey is considering a law banning the photographing (not just publishing) of minors without parental consent. This is similar to the crazy French law prohibiting photographing anyone anywhere with out permission. But unless this law passes, you don't have to worry.

Though OT just thought I had to react to this one. There's indeed no law 'prohibiting photographing anyone anywhere without a permission' in France, that's pure fantasy.
    Now some people in the streets might come up with such BS to prevent you from taking pics, but there's no legal basis to this in french laws.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

We need to remember journalism and advertising are two completely seperate rules. You would never use a photo to endorse a product or service without a release in advertising . Law or not I would never ever do that myself is use any image for advertising without a release regardless of adult or child.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    We need to remember journalism and advertising are two completely seperate rules. You would never use a photo to endorse a product or service without a release in advertising . Law or not I would never ever do that myself is use any image for advertising without a release regardless of adult or child.
    Well, I don't think anyone would disagree. But the question was raised in this thread about pictures of kids being posted in a technical thread in a photography forum. This isn't advertising. In uses like this, and in art, no one expects releases.