Site Sponsors

Thread: Vello vs Kenko extention tubes

Post Thanks / Like

Vello vs Kenko extention tubes

Hello,

I have a friend of mine that is in the market for extension tubes.
    He is planing of using them with multiple lenses including a Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro classic.

I have experience only with the Kenko set (and not that much, as I don't own them), but it's my understanding that Vello is a good brand.

He will be using it with a D7000. I will also appreciate the comments for myself in the sense that I was planing to but the Kenko's at the end of the year (It will be for my D600).

Even if you have experience with only one of them your experience will be useful.

Thanks for your help and comments.

J. Duncan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Vello vs Kenko extention tubes

I have experience with neither but just received a set of Fotodiox extension tubes comprised of 7/14/and 28mm adapters. Amazon link:

Amazon.com: Fotodiox 10-MCR-NK-Kit Nikon Macro Extension Tube Set Kit for Nikon Cameras Extreme Close-Up: Camera & Photo

For 12.00 I'm quite content with them. All metal, anodized not painted. The finish is imperfect in places but nothing glaring. They mount to the camera easily and remove without a glitch. I stacked them all and with a dial caliper measured them at various points for consistency and saw only about .001" variation and at that level that variation could easily be introduced by me. They screw together so separating under weight should not be an issue as they snug up tight very well. Note, these are not AF capable. I've had bad luck with Fotodiox in the past but this was worth the risk and seems to have paid off. Also, the inner surfaces are grooved to reduce internal flare.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vello vs Kenko extention tubes

Quote Originally Posted by danielmoore View Post
    I have experience with neither but just received a set of Fotodiox extension tubes comprised of 7/14/and 28mm adapters. Amazon link:

Amazon.com: Fotodiox 10-MCR-NK-Kit Nikon Macro Extension Tube Set Kit for Nikon Cameras Extreme Close-Up: Camera & Photo

For 12.00 I'm quite content with them. All metal, anodized not painted. The finish is imperfect in places but nothing glaring. They mount to the camera easily and remove without a glitch. I stacked them all and with a dial caliper measured them at various points for consistency and saw only about .001" variation and at that level that variation could easily be introduced by me. They screw together so separating under weight should not be an issue as they snug up tight very well. Note, these are not AF capable. I've had bad luck with Fotodiox in the past but this was worth the risk and seems to have paid off. Also, the inner surfaces are grooved to reduce internal flare.

Thanks for the info,

James