The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D3X in British Journal of Photography

T

TimF

A first look article by David Kilpatrick. Those who aren't subbers to the magazine will need to take a (free) trial on the website to view.

Some interesting comments I think, which makes the prospect of Michael Reichmann's three-way test with the 5D II and A900 an intriguing prospect.

O

Oxide Blu

Those who aren't subbers to the magazine will need to take a (free) trial on the website to view.
That or get a login off of BugMeNot.com. Anyone that does opt to sign up for a free trial can always toss their login info onto BugMeNot.com, too.

etrigan63

I signed up and read the article. Mr. Kilpatrick's comments echo the suspicions I had about the camera. The camera is a granted for studio work where lighting is strictly controlled. Landscape work that is not shot in broad daylight will require a tripod but that is the norm for MFD as well. I discovered in a recent outing with Lance and Doug (Capture Integration) that as resolution goes up, the camera becomes more sensitive to camera shake. That, I believe above everything else, is the reason for Sony's inclusion of sensor based VR in the α900.

robmac

Looking over the comments and test shots by Lloyd Chamber's site re: the D3x: I'm not in the market for one, but (purely by what I've seen on his site) I'd echo his sentiments that the X, while certainly no substitute for a MFDB, has a very MFDB 'look and feel' to it's shots. Incredible resolution even with it's AA filter and a very natural "as seen" look to them.

I'd also echo his feelings that if you don't have THE very best of glass to feed it, you're wasting your time (and $$$). When you have a body that starts to pull apart the 14-24G, you know you're in for some thank you cards from Visa.

Having chatted with him a number of times in the past, I know he was deliberating having some of his Leica APO glass (90/2, 180/2.8, 280/4) converted to F mount by SKG. I suspect the X might push him over the edge.

M

marknorton

That, to my mind, is the issue. There is only a handful of Nikon lenses which are up to the task and Nikon need to bolster their line with some no-compromise primes.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
.... having some of his Leica APO glass (90/2, 180/2.8, 280/4) converted to F mount by SKG.
Oh no - I wish you hadn't brought up this option!! This could tip me over the edge from my ZF lenses to converting R glass. I do hope it's ridiculously expensive to do so that I can safely dismiss this idea! :ROTFL: (BTW no mention of this over on SK Grimes site as a service)

I pick up my D3X at the end of the month and I've been really enjoying the ZF glass with my D3/D700 but I have found myself wanting for some decent long MF glass. A 280/4 would just about round out the lens selection for the D3X for me.

robmac

There is also the new Leica - Nikon (reversible) conversion mount from www.leitax.com.

Check the thread on FM under Alternate Lenses with some Nikon users that have converted some R glass - apparently takes 10 minutes, works smoothy, ensures infinity and the D3/700 focus confirmation works. Kit is under 80 Euro/lens as well...

Moment I saw this the prob of my moving to Nikon started to improve nicely.

If you email SKG they will do it - the cost, varies by lens, is roughly $300-400 and is not reversible. Apparently do very high quality work.