Site Sponsors

Thread: D3X in British Journal of Photography

TimF

D3X in British Journal of Photography

A first look article by David Kilpatrick. Those who aren't subbers to the magazine will need to take a (free) trial on the website to view.

Some interesting comments I think, which makes the prospect of Michael Reichmann's three-way test with the 5D II and A900 an intriguing prospect.

Oxide Blu

Re: D3X in British Journal of Photography

Quote Originally Posted by TimF View Post
    Those who aren't subbers to the magazine will need to take a (free) trial on the website to view.
    That or get a login off of BugMeNot.com. Anyone that does opt to sign up for a free trial can always toss their login info onto BugMeNot.com, too.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I signed up and read the article. Mr. Kilpatrick's comments echo the suspicions I had about the camera. The camera is a granted for studio work where lighting is strictly controlled. Landscape work that is not shot in broad daylight will require a tripod but that is the norm for MFD as well. I discovered in a recent outing with Lance and Doug (Capture Integration) that as resolution goes up, the camera becomes more sensitive to camera shake. That, I believe above everything else, is the reason for Sony's inclusion of sensor based VR in the α900.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like

Looking over the comments and test shots by Lloyd Chamber's site re: the D3x: I'm not in the market for one, but (purely by what I've seen on his site) I'd echo his sentiments that the X, while certainly no substitute for a MFDB, has a very MFDB 'look and feel' to it's shots. Incredible resolution even with it's AA filter and a very natural "as seen" look to them.

I'd also echo his feelings that if you don't have THE very best of glass to feed it, you're wasting your time (and $$$). When you have a body that starts to pull apart the 14-24G, you know you're in for some thank you cards from Visa.

Having chatted with him a number of times in the past, I know he was deliberating having some of his Leica APO glass (90/2, 180/2.8, 280/4) converted to F mount by SKG. I suspect the X might push him over the edge.

marknorton

That, to my mind, is the issue. There is only a handful of Nikon lenses which are up to the task and Nikon need to bolster their line with some no-compromise primes.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    .... having some of his Leica APO glass (90/2, 180/2.8, 280/4) converted to F mount by SKG.
    Oh no - I wish you hadn't brought up this option!! This could tip me over the edge from my ZF lenses to converting R glass. I do hope it's ridiculously expensive to do so that I can safely dismiss this idea! (BTW no mention of this over on SK Grimes site as a service)

I pick up my D3X at the end of the month and I've been really enjoying the ZF glass with my D3/D700 but I have found myself wanting for some decent long MF glass. A 280/4 would just about round out the lens selection for the D3X for me.

Post Thanks / Like

There is also the new Leica - Nikon (reversible) conversion mount from www.leitax.com.

Check the thread on FM under Alternate Lenses with some Nikon users that have converted some R glass - apparently takes 10 minutes, works smoothy, ensures infinity and the D3/700 focus confirmation works. Kit is under 80 Euro/lens as well...

Moment I saw this the prob of my moving to Nikon started to improve nicely.

If you email SKG they will do it - the cost, varies by lens, is roughly $300-400 and is not reversible. Apparently do very high quality work.

TimF

There's a follow-up piece, also comparing with the A900 & 5D II, in the new issue - just been put on the web site as this is written at http://www.bjp-online.com/public/sho...ml?page=834449

There are a couple of picture captions included in the web version, but not the accompanying images (so far at least).