The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SIGMA 35mm 1.4 Lens WITH USB DOCK

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Just received my USB dock for my 35mm lens. First off you get the dock and the USB micro cord. Than you need to go to Sigma site and download software
SIGMA Optimization Pro: Software Download | SIGMA GLOBAL VISION

Okay lets start at the beginning as this is my second Sigma 35mm 1.4 as the first one was just to far off and firmware updates where not available at the time. So my second lens here is much better on my D800E BUT I still had to have my setting for AF on my body at -20 which is at the end of the rope for back focusing but it worked pretty darn well. Today i hooked up the dock and YES folks there is a new firmware update for the lens so I proceeded with doing that. Than you do have customization on this lens to move the focusing settings in 4 different zones. At this point I did not do anything here but some other lenses like the new 120-300 you do get more controls on fine tuning the lens. So all I did at this point was do the firmware update than I went into my D800E menu and my AF point for this lens which was minus 20 I turned off AF fine tune adjusted it back to zero turned AF back on and rebooted the camera on and off.

Now its hotter than Dante's inferno outside my doors only a mere 108 freaking burning your toes off as you hit the cool deck of the pool. Yea that works just lovely in this sun. NOT

Anyway very limited handheld testing but even at Zero AF fine tune which I could not do at all before Im nailing focus wide open pretty darn good about 90 percent of the time and even better if i use the rear AF button in conjunction with focus that than release shutter button. Seems to work pretty good with that combo. Now I did check my left and right AF points on my Camera and its nailing those also.

Bottom line it looks pretty good with just some quick shots an viewing the LCD at 100 percent. Obviously I need to get more scientific about this and on a tripod and really test the thing but I got a big gig next week in NY so it will have to wait but I will be shooting it as well so hopefully I can get more user data on it. But so far it seems to be doing very well indeed. Just the firmware update alone might be worth the cost of the dock. Than if you desire you can fine tune the focus settings in four different zones. Which I need to figure out what they really mean by these zones as well. Maybe someone can explain this customization a little better because like usual there aint a damn piece of instructions anywhere on it besides some general data.

Once I get this all fine tuned I may just loan this out to members to fine tune there lens as well. Maybe it will be the pass around dock but at 60 bucks might be worth having as Sigma will be coming out with more lenses that can utilize the dock. The new 120-300 certainly can for sure. Love to have that lens as well. Seems like a perfect zoom for my needs.

aztwang

I wonder if it would make sense for Nikon to come out with a Dock system for the D & G series. At $50-$75 it would be a great seller for Nikon and a nice tool for those photogs that have camera bodies that do not support A/F Fine Tune as well as Pro-sumers and Pros who want to zero out their lens collection. I know its a mental thing but it drives me crazy as well to have a lens that fine tunes at -19

D&A

Yes, very interesting Guy and it would be nice to find out additional info with regards to adjustment of the zones relative to AF fine tuning. Thanks for the report!

Dave (D&A)

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

I wonder if it would make sense for Nikon to come out with a Dock system for the D & G series. At $50-$75 it would be a great seller for Nikon and a nice tool for those photogs that have camera bodies that do not support A/F Fine Tune as well as Pro-sumers and Pros who want to zero out their lens collection. I know its a mental thing but it drives me crazy as well to have a lens that fine tunes at -19

+ 1

I couldn't agree more.

Besides Nikon could save a lot of adjustment service time under warranty by providing a do-it-yourself Optimization Dock.

D&A

+ 1

I couldn't agree more.

Besides Nikon could save a lot of adjustment service time under warranty by providing a do-it-yourself Optimization Dock.
My guess is it's only a matter of time before Nikon offers this. IN earlier days of the Nikon Pro series DSLR's like the D1, D2 etc., they only allowed firmware updates by sending in the camera itself to Nikon or authorized service station thinking that users might fowl up their cameras. They finally came around.

Dave (D&A)

engel001

Sigma had to do offer the dock. Canon and Nikon do not for their own lenses. You can update the firmware on some of the newest Canon lenses through the camera menu system. The camera is the dock for OEM lenses. Tamron and Tokina will need to follow Sigma's route, however.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Can you adjust focus by aperture as well? I think a very common problem is focus shift as a lens is stopped down (or not). Being able to adjust not only separately at a few distances, but at a few different apertures (say 1.4, 2.0, 4, 8) as well would be very useful.

markhout

Not sure what the firmware update did, but the %age of keepers dramatically improved. Finally shooting at 1.4 makes sense.

The AF fine tune of the D800e body is still at +20 though.

This morning, 1/125 @ 1.4, Auto ISO @1800, razor sharp on the eyelid:

etrigan63

That looks very nice! I decided with my switch back to Nikon to pick up this lens for a 35-50-85 set up of primes for portraiture and a longer zoom for the dance stuff. I also have a Lensbaby with a full set of inserts. Just wish the new Sigma 120-300 was a wee bit less expensive. $3600 = OUCH!