The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Wide angle for industrial interiors?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Paul , PT lens maybe the solution like I did with the Leica 19 I sent some images to Tom over there and he built a profile for it and works really nice. I use it as a plug in with CS6 and works really quick.

Is there a practical way to profile a shift lens? I can see doing it for the unshifted state ... but the distortion is pretty minor in that state, and easy to fix manually.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
He can probably make you profiles for each 5mm of shift. Send Tom a note see what he says. Worth asking

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
I'd like to see Nikon to in-camera perspective transforms (to JPEG, not raw) similar to LR5. The main drawback to doing this in post right now is in-camera composition; framing in particular. Even if it couldn't do it in LV, at least we could take a shot and verify its correctness (similar to exposure) before moving on...

D&A

Paul, nice work!! I used to do a fair amount of industrial stuff but with the focus on the workers and the environment as a backdrop. Were some of your images HDR? As for the Nikon 14-24 as many have suggested, it's an exceptional lens and quite versatile, especially for projects like this. Of course a case can be made for any number of the other fine single focal length lenses suggested in this thread but I often keep coming back to the 14-24, especially when proper distortion correction can be applied. I've had a copy of one on and off through the years.

Thanks for posting, love stuff like this and you did a wonderful job capturing the essence of the place.

Dave (D&A)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
+1 on the great job. Many of us would give our eye teeth to have a chance to shoot a place like that. We could happily lose a week just shooting somewhere whilst it still has photographic charm before being demolished or converted to a mall or apartment/office complex.

Thank you for the kind words. I had a great time with this project. Probably the most intense 8 hours I've spent photographing, since I don't know if they'll invite me back.

Were some of your images HDR?
Yes. Well, sort of. I'm using a Lightroom pluggin called LR Enfuse, which technically does exposure blending rather than HDR. It doesn't make a 32-bit intermediate file that you tone-map from; it just choses the best exposed pixels (based on local contrast) from each exposure. It's not capable of the exaggerated, acid-trip effects you can get from HDR. Which is one of the reasons I like it. I'm just trying to get more DR. The d800 has a lot, but a few stops short of what's ideal for these kinds of settings.

As for the Nikon 14-24 as many have suggested, it's an exceptional lens and quite versatile, especially for projects like this.
If they invite me back to extend this project, and if I like the results in prints, I may buy the 14-24. Would probably sell the 24-70 to pay for it. The mid-range zoom is a good lens but I hardly ever use it. When I do it's most often at 24. Where it's not at its best.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
If they invite me back to extend this project, and if I like the results in prints, I may buy the 14-24. Would probably sell the 24-70 to pay for it. The mid-range zoom is a good lens but I hardly ever use it. When I do it's most often at 24. Where it's not at its best.
It depends on your shooting style obviously but I must admit that I ended up with a very similar rationale with my Nikon outfit and would typically use just the 14-24, perhaps a 35 or 50 prime, and the 70-200 VR for my main kit. The 24-70 is great for grip 'n grin and family stuff but I found that it wasn't that inspiring as a lens for more considered shooting. Nothing wrong with the lens per se, just that it isn't a particularly interesting focal range overall for a zoom and the primes were a much lighter option.

Now for some folks the 24-70 would need to be pried from their cold dead hands. :chug:

I'm happy to say this has expanded into a book project. I have an editor and a historian on my team, and managed to get another week's access to the place. The photography is almost complete ... just need to get a cover picture, either from a boat or from across the river. Here's a fresh edit.

Thanks to all for the lens advice. The 14-24 was killer. I used it and the 28mm Schneider about 50/50, and never wished for anything else. The images look eye-popping at 24" wide, and I'm betting they'll look great at 40". The book images will of course be wee in comparison.