Site Sponsors

Thread: Wide angle for industrial interiors?

Post Thanks / Like

Wide angle for industrial interiors?

I've been given access to the old Domino Sugar factory in Brooklyn for a day. 8 hours to do whatever I can!

The main lens for my broader industrial project has been a 28mm shift lens. I'd like to rent something wider, like in the 19 to 21mm range.

Everyone raves about the Zeiss 21. Is the moustache distortion likely to give me trouble? And how are the corners when stopped down to f8 and smaller?

Any other recommendations? Sharpness and resolution are of prime importance. I don't care about blur quality, speed, or auto-anything.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Wide angle for industrial interiors?

Why not rent the 14-24mm?

It's probably the most impressive super wide for the Nikon platform and will give you the a lot more flexibility and versatility than a single fixed prime.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

+1 to the 14-24. For industrial interiors, getting the right framing is paramount, and you don't always have the option to take a couple of steps back, since there might be a wall there. If you want to go wider, there's the Sigma 12-24, but the Nikkor is a much better lens.

Post Thanks / Like

That lens looks pretty good, but is it optically in the same league as the better primes in the 19-21mm range?

I have the 24-70 f2.8. It's very good, but not state of the art. My 28 is in another league optically, at least compared to the zoom's wide end. The 24-70 also seems to be much better up close than at infinity (although I don't hear people talk about this).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The 14-24 is renown as being a rare example of a zoom that pretty much blows away the primes. I know, sounds dubious but it truly is an outstanding lens.

The challenge for a lot of people is the size & weight and the front element that makes using filters virtually impossible.

Optically it has few peers IMHO. The 17-35 and 24-70 don't really compare with it, especially when you look into the corners.

Post Thanks / Like

The Tokina 16-28 is a little sharper than the Nikkor 14-24 if you don't need quite as much width and would like to pay 1/3.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm renting, not buying, so the Nikkor and Zeiss lenses will probably be the only choices. I'm actually having a hard time finding a Zeiss 21 for Nikon in the city (lensrentals.com has one, but with shipping it's $$$).

Corner sharpness is important for this project. I haven't been blown away by the corners from the Nikon 14-24 in images I've seen. But I haven't used it myself. Size, filters etc. are unimportant.

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you using this as a backdrop for a shoot or specifically as an interior?

That's a great location to have access to. Personally, I wouldn't use a zoom, I had both the Zeiss 21mm and 18mm, and preferred the 18mm - I think f5.6 to f8 is the sweet spot for Zeiss, anything beyond that might show the effects of diffraction - I also liked the Nikon 24mm1.4G, but the Zeiss had a touch more micro contrast, but a fantastic lens nonetheless.

If you don't mind stitching, perhaps Sigma's new "Art" 35mm 1.4 HSM would suffice. It's the best wide angle i've ever used.

Post Thanks / Like

The photos will be about the space itself. Still leaning toward the Zeiss 21, but can't find one. Will probably have to rent the 14-24.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I switched my extreme wide to the Leica 19mm R lens with the Leitax converter, Just love the look of this lens and distortion is pretty good on it.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

I ended up renting the 14-24.

Will be interesting ... never used anything remotely that wide. I'm not sure how much I'll use it.

I'm bummed no one local had the Zeiss 21. That's a lens I can imagine buying.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just got a gig today shooting exteriors and interiors of a manufacturing plant be nice to give my Leica 19mm a workout.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Just got a gig today shooting exteriors and interiors of a manufacturing plant be nice to give my Leica 19mm a workout.
    I've been shooting with mine for many years. First on my Canons and now converted to the Nikon like yours. My only concern has been infinity focus. It seems like mine may focus beyond infinity and as a result you can have strange edge issues. If you're tethering you can check and confirm, but sometimes i focus just a bit closer than Inf and do another shot just to be safe. For architecture it hardly matters as you have something specific to focus on.

I guess we should find the parafocal distance and calibrate it to that.

Let me know if you figure that out.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paulraphael View Post
    I'm bummed no one local had the Zeiss 21. That's a lens I can imagine buying.
    As others have said, the 14-24 is great lens. I'm blown away whenever I use it.

You may forget about that Zeiss once you see the images from the Nikkor.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The R 19 (II) is the Leica lens I miss the most. It has a really nice rendering. I'd just be concerned with its accuracy with a mount replacement...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Brittenson View Post
    The R 19 (II) is the Leica lens I miss the most. It has a really nice rendering. I'd just be concerned with its accuracy with a mount replacement...
    No need to worry, as Guy Mancuso has proven here:

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/lens-acc...kon-d800e.html

(I hope this kind of link is allowed, if not, moderators please remove.)

Post Thanks / Like

The 14-24 actually worked out well. At first I didn't think I'd use it much. The Schneider 28mm was just a better lens for most of what I saw. But the zoom started egging me on, and by the end I was using it about half the time. I mostly used it around 18-19mm, so the Zeiss 21 would have been a bit long. And I had a few chances to use it all the way at 14. Lots of fun ... way wider than I've ever used before.

My initial impressions are that this lens performs better at the extremes than in the middle of its range. Corners seem a bit soft in the 16 to 21mm range. It's much sharper at 24mm than my 24-70 is at the same focal length. It also handles more easily. I didn't reach for that lens once. Not quite as sharp as the Schneider (unshifted).

In the middle of processing now ... will probably have more observations. Including ones on which lenses are easiest remove100 year-old molasses from (not kidding!).

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a quick edit from yesterday's work. Processing isn't final, but pretty close in most cases.
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Paul they look nice . I do see a small amount of distortion but I'm looking for it as well. Most folks would not.

Subject matter is cool as hell. Love that kind of stuff. Nice work

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Guy.

Yeah, there's probably distortion on all the pics with the Schneider. I don't think there's a way to automatically correct with that one (I used profile correction with the nikon lens). So I'm going to have to go back and deal with that manually.

I'm really happy to have the opportunity to photograph there. It will all be gone within the next year or so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Paul , PT lens maybe the solution like I did with the Leica 19 I sent some images to Tom over there and he built a profile for it and works really nice. I use it as a plug in with CS6 and works really quick.

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a practical way to profile a shift lens? I can see doing it for the unshifted state ... but the distortion is pretty minor in that state, and easy to fix manually.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

He can probably make you profiles for each 5mm of shift. Send Tom a note see what he says. Worth asking

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to see Nikon to in-camera perspective transforms (to JPEG, not raw) similar to LR5. The main drawback to doing this in post right now is in-camera composition; framing in particular. Even if it couldn't do it in LV, at least we could take a shot and verify its correctness (similar to exposure) before moving on...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    He can probably make you profiles for each 5mm of shift. Send Tom a note see what he says. Worth asking
    Will do, thanks for the tip Guy.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Paul, nice work!! I used to do a fair amount of industrial stuff but with the focus on the workers and the environment as a backdrop. Were some of your images HDR? As for the Nikon 14-24 as many have suggested, it's an exceptional lens and quite versatile, especially for projects like this. Of course a case can be made for any number of the other fine single focal length lenses suggested in this thread but I often keep coming back to the 14-24, especially when proper distortion correction can be applied. I've had a copy of one on and off through the years.

Thanks for posting, love stuff like this and you did a wonderful job capturing the essence of the place.

Dave (D&A)
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

+1 on the great job. Many of us would give our eye teeth to have a chance to shoot a place like that. We could happily lose a week just shooting somewhere whilst it still has photographic charm before being demolished or converted to a mall or apartment/office complex.

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the kind words. I had a great time with this project. Probably the most intense 8 hours I've spent photographing, since I don't know if they'll invite me back.

Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    Were some of your images HDR?
    Yes. Well, sort of. I'm using a Lightroom pluggin called LR Enfuse, which technically does exposure blending rather than HDR. It doesn't make a 32-bit intermediate file that you tone-map from; it just choses the best exposed pixels (based on local contrast) from each exposure. It's not capable of the exaggerated, acid-trip effects you can get from HDR. Which is one of the reasons I like it. I'm just trying to get more DR. The d800 has a lot, but a few stops short of what's ideal for these kinds of settings.

As for the Nikon 14-24 as many have suggested, it's an exceptional lens and quite versatile, especially for projects like this.
    If they invite me back to extend this project, and if I like the results in prints, I may buy the 14-24. Would probably sell the 24-70 to pay for it. The mid-range zoom is a good lens but I hardly ever use it. When I do it's most often at 24. Where it's not at its best.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by paulraphael View Post
    If they invite me back to extend this project, and if I like the results in prints, I may buy the 14-24. Would probably sell the 24-70 to pay for it. The mid-range zoom is a good lens but I hardly ever use it. When I do it's most often at 24. Where it's not at its best.
    It depends on your shooting style obviously but I must admit that I ended up with a very similar rationale with my Nikon outfit and would typically use just the 14-24, perhaps a 35 or 50 prime, and the 70-200 VR for my main kit. The 24-70 is great for grip 'n grin and family stuff but I found that it wasn't that inspiring as a lens for more considered shooting. Nothing wrong with the lens per se, just that it isn't a particularly interesting focal range overall for a zoom and the primes were a much lighter option.

Now for some folks the 24-70 would need to be pried from their cold dead hands.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Now for some folks the 24-70 would need to be pried from their cold dead hands.
    Mine's on ebay right now, looking for a pair of hands like that.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm happy to say this has expanded into a book project. I have an editor and a historian on my team, and managed to get another week's access to the place. The photography is almost complete ... just need to get a cover picture, either from a boat or from across the river. Here's a fresh edit.

Thanks to all for the lens advice. The 14-24 was killer. I used it and the 28mm Schneider about 50/50, and never wished for anything else. The images look eye-popping at 24" wide, and I'm betting they'll look great at 40". The book images will of course be wee in comparison.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post