The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Flash for dummies

woodyspedden

Nikon has a very good instructional video on the CLS system hosted by Bob Krist of National Geographic Fame and Joe McNally, a recognized expert on lighting.

It is available from the Nikon store (Nikon Mall) and is a bit pricey (around $35 IIRC) but I think worth the price, especially if you are thinking about using the Nikon flashes as a system since they add up to serious money.

Woody

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Rocky Nook just published a new book on The Nikon Creative Lighting System ..by Mike Hagen. Quick read looks like it might be good for covering all the bases on the operation of the SB-900 also covers the other flashes as well.

etrigan63

The Joe McNally book on lighting (Hot Shoe Diaries) is excellent. One thing Joe points out is that you can supplement a single flash with ambient/available light to get some nice portrait lighting.

Here is a shot I took tonight of my friends daughter for a portrait I am giving her Mom for her birthday. I use one flash (Metz 58A-1 + Gary Fong diffuser) and two porch lamps, positioning myself so the lamps warmer light would highlight her hair and add some color to her skin.

I think her mom will be happy.

DavidL

From a shoot I did of UK Olympic Diver Nick Robinson Baker. So he forgave me for the in flight shot expression I did the posed shot with the flash diffused a bit. I needed unmodified full power to catch him in the air. As he was a second or two from hitting the water at 32 feet per second per second there wasn't really enough time to get him to look relaxed and into camera. He had other things on his mind I guess. Having heard of some of the horrendous injuries divers get I would never try to distract them and know they can deal with a flash, when they no it's coming.
I've added a SD-9 battery pack to boost recycling on shoots. Silly price for a 8 battery holder but does the job. One of the main reasons I went Nikon was because of the flash. Canon's flash, on digital, did my head in and initially I went Olympus because of the lenses. Then I drank Jono dry under the pretext of buying some Nikon gear off him;)
David

Last edited: