The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

F6 9 years

Swissblad

Contax indeed made a nice series of bodies - carefully styled and sculpted to the time.
I never could afford them - and when I could - they were no longer around.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I haven't tried the Leicaflex, but who knows? I've just been offered an R4 with some lenses, and with some lenses... you know :)

There are other SLRs that are fantastic also, like the Contax RX, the N1, the FM3A and obviously the OM-2. I know about an almost mint OM-2 that works very well. It sits on my dining table right now with the 50mm f/1.4 mounted. It was given to me, so I should pass it on... in 30 years :ROTFL:

Edit: For those who think the F6 is expensive, check the price of a mint Leicaflex SL2. I just did :eek:
I used to have some of the Contax SLRs, over time also 2 RTS III, which were the only other SLRs I really would put on same level with the SL2. Then comes Nikon F3 (I still own one - got left over because I forgot to sell and I am happy I forgot).

Mint Leicaflex SL2 in Leica Store Vienna are available for €250.- to €450.- again and again ;) Last one I saw there back in June for €280.- which was in a really great condition.

Being a bit sentimental - sometimes I wish these times back, not just the great cameras I used to shoot :)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I now own two Nikon Fs and two Leicaflex SLs, and a smattering of five lenses for each. Lovely cameras. I don't use them a lot, but I do use them. They are terrific shooters.

The Leicaflex SL is the only film body of that era that I feel was actually better than the F. It is an absolute delight to use. I had wanted one throughout the entire film era of my life, but could never afford it before now. I bought the setup for the lenses ... I'll use them with other cameras. But the SL bodies are works of art and I'll shoot some film with them just for the pleasure of doing it.

G
I absolutely agree on the SLs, especially the SL2 - a real masterpiece and had the best viewfinder of all SLRs I remember. And built like a tank.

Swissblad

Hi Jørgen
That's the reason why a while ago I bought a mint Nikon F3HP.... a camera I always wanted as a student and couldn't afford. It still cost a fair amount, but it is a joy to use, especially with the 20mm f2.8 AIS lens.
have fund with your F6. S ;)

Godfrey

I used to have some of the Contax SLRs, over time also 2 RTS III, which were the only other SLRs I really would put on same level with the SL2. Then comes Nikon F3 (I still own one - got left over because I forgot to sell and I am happy I forgot).

Mint Leicaflex SL2 in Leica Store Vienna are available for €250.- to €450.- again and again ;) Last one I saw there back in June for €280.- which was in a really great condition.

Being a bit sentimental - sometimes I wish these times back, not just the great cameras I used to shoot :)
I prefer the SL's focusing screen over the SL2 ... just a personal preference.

Basically, I bought the kit of SL gear for the lenses, with the notion of adapting them for another mount or using them as is when I eventually obtain a Leica M(240) body. At the price I managed for the kit of five lenses, the two bodies were essentially given to me free of charge.

The lenses are are present being put to use on the E-1 and E-M1 with Novoflex adapters as my telephoto range... :)

G

doug

Jorgen,

just wonder if you ever tried a Leicaflex SL2? This was the best SLR out of film days I ever had - unfortunately sold it ....
Splitting hairs here, but I prefer the SL for its viewscreen and meter lollipop instead of loop and the shape of the back and because it can be modified to use many ROM lenses. It's my all-time favorite film SLR (not to deny the delights of the Nikon F series). If I could put the DMR on the SL I'd be very happy.

fotografz

Jeeze, a walk down 35mm DSLR memory lane.

A black Canon FTB then a F1, an array of Contax film cameras RTS, RX, AX concluding with a Contax N, more Canon scattered in: EOS-1N RS with the pellicle mirror and a EOS1V ... a Leica SL and SL2, R4 (a Minolta/Leica effort), R6, R6-II, R8 and R9 (the R9 also used with the DMR for a couple of years) ... Nikon F5 to a F100 to my last 35mm SLR: the Nikon F6.

Favorites:

The Canon F1 because it represents my youth; the beginnings of photographic explorations with the young eyes of a hawk. I worked in subject rich Ann Arbor back then and a UofM student hand processed all my negs and made prints for me until I built my own darkroom. I still have those prints.

The Leica R6-II because it was mechanical, so small and yet ergonomically fit me so well ... and at the time I now could afford some of the better Leica R lenses like the R35/1.4, R50/2, R80/1.4, R100/2.8 Macro with the Elpro and 180/2.8 APO. The R6-II and R50/2 being the best one lens set-up I could imagine for a 35mm SLR.

Never liked the F6 all that much even though it was without a doubt the best 35mm SLR of the modern age ... didn't like the Nikon lenses and still don't ... used a bunch of ZFs which I couldn't focus well enough or fast enough even after adding a split screen and massive magnifier from BrightScreen ... missed too many shots with that camera.

Most of my 35mm film work was done with a Leica rangefinder starting with a M4 to CL to M6 to M7s, culminating with a Leica MP3 LHSA ... the best 35mm film camera I ever owned and used.

On a sad note: Recently went to an old fashioned swap meet like I did for many years, many years ago. It was pathetic. A table of once proud gear which the vendor offered any choice for $5 each. :eek:

- Marc