Site Sponsors

Thread: F6 9 years

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

F6 9 years

Ken Rockwell is rather cute sometimes, and this text in celebration of the great F6 must be one of his best:

"Nikon's best full-frame camera, and the world's best 35mm SLR, is still the Nikon F6, announced on 16 September, 2004. In 2004 the F6 sold for $2,400, and today still sells for $2,450 new or $1,250 used: only $100 a year to own the unbeaten F6.

As the latest example of digital rot, the Nikon D2X was announced the same day. You people tripped over yourselves to pay $5,500 a pop, and today, no one even can remember it anymore. Today on eBay, they sell for $600: a loss of $4,900. Great investment, eh? Digital sure saves money over film."

Few people can be right, wrong and funny at the same time, but KR can

I have both the F6 and the D2Xs, and enjoy each of them immensely.
    Last edited by Jorgen Udvang; 17th September 2013 at 17:01.
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: F6 9 years

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post

Few people can be right, wrong and funny at the same time, but KR can
    Perfect tagline!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

I think he is spot on right this time.

Post Thanks / Like

I have thought about the difference in market value between old digital cameras and old film cameras myself. I think a D700 or D800e will still sell for a good amount in the future. From a photographers (and not collectors) point of view it doesn't make any sense (regarding the image quality) to shell out that much money for an f6 unless you really want to shoot film or love that specific camera model. I do remember the first images from the D2x /D200, they were the first digital images that made me consider to drop film. (Although it only happen a lot later, with the D700).

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately the D700's 2nd hand retail value has plummeted due to the D600 - I tried to trade one in for a D800E.... and will keep it as a spare.
    I don't think any digital camera's will keep their value - even MF.
    On the other hand, there are camera's that do keep their value for a along time eg the Nikon F3 or FM2, which still commanded top $ prices even after their successor's (F4) had been replaced.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I paid more for my F6 than my D700. I also like my F6 more than I like my D700... much more.
    Last edited by Jorgen Udvang; 21st September 2013 at 17:49.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ryc View Post
    To some extent.

I think the fondle value of Leica film cameras can not be beaten.

Check this out: The ultimate fate - Other - Nikongear.com

(there is a photo of D2H being used as a doorstop at the Norwegian Nikon repair facility).

Post Thanks / Like

I paid more for my F6 than my D700. I also like my F6 more than I like my F6... much more.
    Never got to use any Nikon film cameras past the F90 series.....the last film camera I bought was the FM3 .... although I would have liked an F5.

I think with the F6, Nikon was making a statement for long time film users, that they can still make excellent film bodies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Swissblad View Post
    Never got to use any Nikon film cameras past the F90 series.....the last film camera I bought was the FM3 .... although I would have liked an F5.

I think with the F6, Nikon was making a statement for long time film users, that they can still make excellent film bodies.
    To many, the F6 is still the best SLR body they have ever made, regardless of technology. In most areas, it's more advanced than an F5, but still more compact. The ergonomics are better than any Nikon DSLR, partly due to a slimmer body. From a design point of view, there's nothing like it. It's a sculpture of a camera. They still manufacture it at a rate of 50 units per month, on an assembly line with two employees.

It's a camera that makes little sense if one only reads the spec sheet, but take it in your hand and shoot a few rolls of film with it... it's an unmatched pleasure that I wouldn't be without

Here's some background
    Nikon | Imaging Products | Behind the scenes - Nikon F6
    What goes on inside Nikon's Sendai factory - Crave - Cameras - CNET Asia
    Nikon F6, F6, 35mm film camera, film photography, film photographer, colorado nature photographer, nature photography, outdoor photography, editorial photography, colorado photographer, colorado nature photographers, colorado landscape photography, l
    NikonLinks - Nikon F Series SLRs
    Nikon | Imaging Products | Nikon F6

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the links Jorgen

Post Thanks / Like

It's a camera that makes little sense if one only reads the spec sheet, but take it in your hand and shoot a few rolls of film with it... it's an unmatched pleasure that I wouldn't be without

| Nikon F6[/url]
    Most things in life that add to our enjoyment in life, don't make sense on the spec sheet.....

I wasn't aware that Nikon still make the F6 - am impressed - and glad that they do!

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing particularly enjoyable about worrying over a bag of film, both exposed and unexposed. Do you dare run it through an airport scanner? A government building? Or leave it in the trunk of a car on a hot day in Tamil Nadu? You arrived from the airport and it would be nice to grab something to eat before going to the hotel, but your film really doesn't like heat - so the hotel and unloading film someplace with A/C becomes a priority you have to arrange everything else around.

Not to mention 135 always made me feel like I was wasting effort. The quality was really pretty poor. So "film" to me generally meant 120/220 and 6x7. Which added significant bulk to any luggage... The Mamiya 7 was the film tool of choice for this reason, but even if the camera and lenses were compact for 6x7 100-200 rolls of film still took up a huge chunk of any luggage. (Not to mention it cost $500+ and was completely unavailable in much of the world.)

The fact that I can get better-than-6x7-film results form my D800E (a 35mm camera!), even with its oversize for its format optics, is a stunning step forward! Maybe one day I can get the same from a 4/3 form factor (but with a proper viewfinder; personally can't stand EVF) and that would be another huge leap...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Ken Rockwell is rather cute sometimes, and this text in celebration of the great F6 must be one of his best:

"Nikon's best full-frame camera, and the world's best 35mm SLR, is still the Nikon F6, announced on 16 September, 2004. In 2004 the F6 sold for $2,400, and today still sells for $2,450 new or $1,250 used: only $100 a year to own the unbeaten F6.

I have both the F6 and the D2Xs, and enjoy each of them immensely.
    Now just stop that, Jorgen. I've started looking at F6 prices ...

G

Post Thanks / Like

why is the f6 so bad? looks very similar to my f100 which i bought for 40 bucks !

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Brittenson View Post
    Nothing particularly enjoyable about worrying over a bag of film, both exposed and unexposed. Do you dare run it through an airport scanner? A government building? Or leave it in the trunk of a car on a hot day in Tamil Nadu? You arrived from the airport and it would be nice to grab something to eat before going to the hotel, but your film really doesn't like heat - so the hotel and unloading film someplace with A/C becomes a priority you have to arrange everything else around.

Not to mention 135 always made me feel like I was wasting effort. The quality was really pretty poor. So "film" to me generally meant 120/220 and 6x7. Which added significant bulk to any luggage... The Mamiya 7 was the film tool of choice for this reason, but even if the camera and lenses were compact for 6x7 100-200 rolls of film still took up a huge chunk of any luggage. (Not to mention it cost $500+ and was completely unavailable in much of the world.)

The fact that I can get better-than-6x7-film results form my D800E (a 35mm camera!), even with its oversize for its format optics, is a stunning step forward! Maybe one day I can get the same from a 4/3 form factor (but with a proper viewfinder; personally can't stand EVF) and that would be another huge leap...
    So, film is not for everybody. No worry.

15 years ago, I went around the world, visiting Chicago, San Francisco, Beijing, Guilin, Hong Kong, Macau, Bangkok, Pattaya, Vientiane and rural areas in China and SE Asia. I brought an OM-1, 3 lenses and 10 rolls of Velvia. When I returned home, I still had 2 rolls left. Still, there are few other photos that I enjoy more than the ones I took on that trip. Still, I remember how I concentrated on getting the most out of each and every frame. Did I miss any shots because I "saved for later"? Yes, probably. Does it matter? No, not at all.

All of those photos would have been sharper, with more detail had they been taken with any of the digital cameras that I own now. Would that have made them better photographs? Not the way I watch photographs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gino Troian View Post
    why is the f6 so bad? looks very similar to my f100 which i bought for 40 bucks !
    There are differences that make the F6 stand out compared to any SLR. If it's worth the enormous price difference seen objectively is doubtful. But it's such a well thought out, well designed comfortable device to take photos with that I don't care. It's the ultimate SLR, and ultimate solutions cost more. I'm closer to buying one more than to selling it. Much closer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ryc View Post
    Technically he's correct but he's comparing cost of ownership, not cost of using the cameras.

Post Thanks / Like

There are differences that make the F6 stand out compared to any SLR. If it's worth the enormous price difference seen objectively is doubtful. But it's such a well thought out, well designed comfortable device to take photos with that I don't care. It's the ultimate SLR, and ultimate solutions cost more. I'm closer to buying one more than to selling it. Much closer.
    Jorgen,

just wonder if you ever tried a Leicaflex SL2? This was the best SLR out of film days I ever had - unfortunately sold it ....

WRT film and getting back into it for some work? I am also sometimes tempted to do so, but finally never managed to succeed since over 10 years. Currently I am looking hard to find a good working used OM2 for a decent price, which is almost mint - hard to get

Peter

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    just wonder if you ever tried a Leicaflex SL2? This was the best SLR out of film days I ever had - unfortunately sold it ....

WRT film and getting back into it for some work? I am also sometimes tempted to do so, but finally never managed to succeed since over 10 years. Currently I am looking hard to find a good working used OM2 for a decent price, which is almost mint - hard to get.
    I now own two Nikon Fs and two Leicaflex SLs, and a smattering of five lenses for each. Lovely cameras. I don't use them a lot, but I do use them. They are terrific shooters.

The Leicaflex SL is the only film body of that era that I feel was actually better than the F. It is an absolute delight to use. I had wanted one throughout the entire film era of my life, but could never afford it before now. I bought the setup for the lenses ... I'll use them with other cameras. But the SL bodies are works of art and I'll shoot some film with them just for the pleasure of doing it.

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jorgen,

WRT film and getting back into it for some work? I am also sometimes tempted to do so, but finally never managed to succeed since over 10 years. Currently I am looking hard to find a good working used OM2 for a decent price, which is almost mint - hard to get

Peter
    I haven't tried the Leicaflex, but who knows? I've just been offered an R4 with some lenses, and with some lenses... you know

There are other SLRs that are fantastic also, like the Contax RX, the N1, the FM3A and obviously the OM-2. I know about an almost mint OM-2 that works very well. It sits on my dining table right now with the 50mm f/1.4 mounted. It was given to me, so I should pass it on... in 30 years

Edit: For those who think the F6 is expensive, check the price of a mint Leicaflex SL2. I just did

Post Thanks / Like

Contax indeed made a nice series of bodies - carefully styled and sculpted to the time.
    I never could afford them - and when I could - they were no longer around.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't tried the Leicaflex, but who knows? I've just been offered an R4 with some lenses, and with some lenses... you know

There are other SLRs that are fantastic also, like the Contax RX, the N1, the FM3A and obviously the OM-2. I know about an almost mint OM-2 that works very well. It sits on my dining table right now with the 50mm f/1.4 mounted. It was given to me, so I should pass it on... in 30 years

Edit: For those who think the F6 is expensive, check the price of a mint Leicaflex SL2. I just did
    I used to have some of the Contax SLRs, over time also 2 RTS III, which were the only other SLRs I really would put on same level with the SL2. Then comes Nikon F3 (I still own one - got left over because I forgot to sell and I am happy I forgot).

Mint Leicaflex SL2 in Leica Store Vienna are available for €250.- to €450.- again and again Last one I saw there back in June for €280.- which was in a really great condition.

Being a bit sentimental - sometimes I wish these times back, not just the great cameras I used to shoot

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    I now own two Nikon Fs and two Leicaflex SLs, and a smattering of five lenses for each. Lovely cameras. I don't use them a lot, but I do use them. They are terrific shooters.

The Leicaflex SL is the only film body of that era that I feel was actually better than the F. It is an absolute delight to use. I had wanted one throughout the entire film era of my life, but could never afford it before now. I bought the setup for the lenses ... I'll use them with other cameras. But the SL bodies are works of art and I'll shoot some film with them just for the pleasure of doing it.

G
    I absolutely agree on the SLs, especially the SL2 - a real masterpiece and had the best viewfinder of all SLRs I remember. And built like a tank.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Swissblad View Post
    Contax indeed made a nice series of bodies - carefully styled and sculpted to the time.
    I never could afford them - and when I could - they were no longer around.
    I couldn't afford them either, but I can now

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jørgen
    That's the reason why a while ago I bought a mint Nikon F3HP.... a camera I always wanted as a student and couldn't afford. It still cost a fair amount, but it is a joy to use, especially with the 20mm f2.8 AIS lens.
    have fund with your F6. S

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to have some of the Contax SLRs, over time also 2 RTS III, which were the only other SLRs I really would put on same level with the SL2. Then comes Nikon F3 (I still own one - got left over because I forgot to sell and I am happy I forgot).

Mint Leicaflex SL2 in Leica Store Vienna are available for €250.- to €450.- again and again Last one I saw there back in June for €280.- which was in a really great condition.

Being a bit sentimental - sometimes I wish these times back, not just the great cameras I used to shoot
    I prefer the SL's focusing screen over the SL2 ... just a personal preference.

Basically, I bought the kit of SL gear for the lenses, with the notion of adapting them for another mount or using them as is when I eventually obtain a Leica M(240) body. At the price I managed for the kit of five lenses, the two bodies were essentially given to me free of charge.

The lenses are are present being put to use on the E-1 and E-M1 with Novoflex adapters as my telephoto range... :-)

G

Post Thanks / Like

Jorgen,

Splitting hairs here, but I prefer the SL for its viewscreen and meter lollipop instead of loop and the shape of the back and because it can be modified to use many ROM lenses. It's my all-time favorite film SLR (not to deny the delights of the Nikon F series). If I could put the DMR on the SL I'd be very happy.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jeeze, a walk down 35mm DSLR memory lane.

A black Canon FTB then a F1, an array of Contax film cameras RTS, RX, AX concluding with a Contax N, more Canon scattered in: EOS-1N RS with the pellicle mirror and a EOS1V ... a Leica SL and SL2, R4 (a Minolta/Leica effort), R6, R6-II, R8 and R9 (the R9 also used with the DMR for a couple of years) ... Nikon F5 to a F100 to my last 35mm SLR: the Nikon F6.

Favorites:

The Canon F1 because it represents my youth; the beginnings of photographic explorations with the young eyes of a hawk. I worked in subject rich Ann Arbor back then and a UofM student hand processed all my negs and made prints for me until I built my own darkroom. I still have those prints.

The Leica R6-II because it was mechanical, so small and yet ergonomically fit me so well ... and at the time I now could afford some of the better Leica R lenses like the R35/1.4, R50/2, R80/1.4, R100/2.8 Macro with the Elpro and 180/2.8 APO. The R6-II and R50/2 being the best one lens set-up I could imagine for a 35mm SLR.

Never liked the F6 all that much even though it was without a doubt the best 35mm SLR of the modern age ... didn't like the Nikon lenses and still don't ... used a bunch of ZFs which I couldn't focus well enough or fast enough even after adding a split screen and massive magnifier from BrightScreen ... missed too many shots with that camera.

Most of my 35mm film work was done with a Leica rangefinder starting with a M4 to CL to M6 to M7s, culminating with a Leica MP3 LHSA ... the best 35mm film camera I ever owned and used.

On a sad note: Recently went to an old fashioned swap meet like I did for many years, many years ago. It was pathetic. A table of once proud gear which the vendor offered any choice for $5 each.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like

^ easily over 10,000 for a mp3 lhsa... i cried a bit