Site Sponsors

Thread: Whither Nikon...? (or all camera manufacturer's)

Post Thanks / Like

Whither Nikon...? (or all camera manufacturer's)

I just read Thom Hogan's post:

Whither Nikon? | byThom | Thom Hogan

And IMHO it makes for interesting reading... especially points like this:

At this point I'll be surprised if the D5 in August 2015 has a mirror. I'll take a wild stab at this right now even though we're still two years out: 24mp, mirrorless, augmented PD on sensor, 3m+ dot EVF, 30 fps silent electronic shutter, 12 fps+ mechanical shutter. Anything less than that will seem like a let down.

In view of these facts:

Who's still buying cameras, and why?

How do we feel about the current situation.

Oh, and this post isn't restricted to Nikon - it deals with pretty much everybody else especially MFD.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Whither Nikon...? (or all camera manufacturer's)

People have finally understood that they don't need to buy a new camera every time there's a new model. Good. I used my OM-1 for 30 years. It was not my only camera, but it was the one I was returning to always. When I upgraded, it was because it was worn out, and it was replaced by a used OM-3. I rarely felt a need to upgrade.

Then came digital with all it's upgrades and improvements. Much of them are distractions. For my work, digital is useful. For my hobby, I'm back to 50% film nowadays. Photos with grain. I like grain. Grain shows that it's a photo, not some 2-dimentional imitation of reality.

Most people will stop buying cameras. They're not needed anymore. Everybody and his aunt have one in their phones anyway. They offer better image quality than a Kodak Instamatic, so there's nothing to complain about really. Except for camera manufacturers and all the Chinese working there.
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Whither Nikon...? (or all camera manufacturer's)

Quote Originally Posted by Swissblad View Post
    In view of these facts:

Who's still buying cameras, and why?

How do we feel about the current situation.

Oh, and this post isn't restricted to Nikon - it deals with pretty much everybody else especially MFD.
    I saw that. Interesting. Not unrelated, see: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sunset-b...otography.html

and

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sunset-b...le-bodies.html

Too many cameras and very little photography. The number unused cameras from yesteryears I have make me feel very sad.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post