The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

need advice

BSEH

Hey, turn up here since I need to use my Nikon D800. I will be a bit out of my comfort zone on a trekking trip to the Himalayas. Are really unknown with mountains and would like to know.

Is polaroid filter must in relation to snow?

Any good tips for shooting in the mountains?

thanks

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Not really -- and with a really wide lens which I reco you take, a polarized sky renders the ugly sine-wave darkening anyway. Biggest issue is exposing properly for the snow -- you want to expose it to white (not gray) without blowing it, so check the histo carefully. FWIW, I only use a polarizer for removing reflections in shiny surface objects closer to the camera like leaves, water, glass or painted surfaces.

Shac

In addition to Jack's comments, at very high altitudes - a polarizer can turn the sky black. I found in the Himalaya (I spent over 2 years across 5 trips) that photographing didn't need any special technique for typical subjects - you can review your images and keep an eye on your histogram.
It's one's body (at least for me) that you need to take care of. Keep hydrated, wear sunscreen, etc, etc,
You'll have a great time

tashley

Subscriber Member
Enjoy! My minority report is that with these Sony sensors I tend to back off a full ETTR even with snow: of course it needs to be exposed to white and not gray as Jack says but I tend to give it around 1/3rd to 1/2 a stop less than a 'grazing the right' histo might suggest - for my money it retains a bit more texture in the snow but it does depend on the DR of the entire scene.

BSEH

Enjoy! My minority report is that with these Sony sensors I tend to back off a full ETTR even with snow: of course it needs to be exposed to white and not gray as Jack says but I tend to give it around 1/3rd to 1/2 a stop less than a 'grazing the right' histo might suggest - for my money it retains a bit more texture in the snow but it does depend on the DR of the entire scene.
:thumbup: