The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I thought I'd pop into the thread to see what people think of the Nikon 610

Swissblad

Not much of an upgrade - as stated on NR - seems to be a move to get away from the oily sensor issue.
A larger AF array pattern would have been welcome.
That said the IQ of the D600 is very good.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It seems like an interim update to square away some faults in the 600. I like the sensor, but waiting for confirmation the center command button can be programmed to do 100% magnify playback like the D800.

D&A

It seems like an interim update to square away some faults in the 600. I like the sensor, but waiting for confirmation the center command button can be programmed to do 100% magnify playback like the D800.
+1! That was one of the silliest omissions and one can only hope that Nikon realizes that including it will have no bearing on lost sales of higher end models that have always had it.

Dave (D&A)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Agree Dave. *IF* Nikon wakes up and smells the coffee and makes that one teeny fix, I'll ADD a D600 to my Nikon body arsenal. However if they don't, I won't bother and will mayhaps pick up a used D700, and me buying used does Nikon no good...

dmeckert

I'm entirely on the 100% magnification bandwagon from day one.

That said...I just came full circle to a year ago, and have moved back to a d600. The owner knew about the sensor oil issue and confirmed hers didn't suffer from it. Pleased as punch.

The 610 does sort of make a distinction between worrying and not about the shutter issue...but otherwise, might as well be the same camera. Not even an "s" worthy upgrade. I hope they sell a ton to fund the next body in the series for next year. Lol

jduncan

I believe that Nikon is facing a dilema.

After the issues that the EOS-1Ds Mark II had with the autofocusing system (that hit the heard of Canon sports fortress together with the D3s / D3s) Canon set to create a truly next generation autofocus system, and they succeed. They also set to fight with the high iso performance of the D3s. Nikon started this generation from a relaxed position, it was a mistake. Logic will tell you that they could have added a better focusing system (D7100) to the body, but that will move the D600 successor directly into the D800 territory. Nikon needs to improve the focusing system of the D4, to make it competive with Canon. After that they will be able to retro fit the D800 /D4 auto focus system down the line.
In my case I don't do sports (but I do dance) and the current D600 AFS works for me.

Do they solve the aperture control during video issue on the D610?

Best regards,

J. Duncan