The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Graduated ND vs. HDR

cerett

Hi All,

I would be very interested in knowing how many of you have stop using graduated NDs and gone to HDR processing in PS or third party applications like Photomatix? Can you provide your rationale, either way. I have been disappointed with HDR images. They often are overdone and depart from reality. It seems that I can often pick out an image that I suspect has gone through an HDR process. Thank you.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I've stopped using them -- I don't like a straight line cutting across my image when it's bone simple to make one that perfectly matches your horizon outline in post.

V

Vivek

I've stopped using them -- I don't like a straight line cutting across my image when it's bone simple to make one that perfectly matches your horizon outline in post.
+1

Sign that the DR is generally good enough to achieve this.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I am using C1 or Photoshop depending on the image. If there's enough headroom in the raw file, I do it all on one neg in C1. If it's a more challenging image, I process out two (or three) versions of the same raw file and then blend them on layers in PS.

thrice

The biggest thing in my opinion is using layers and drawing a natural image vs a tone mapped HDR image.

Some plugins like Enfuse for lightroom can still get you a very natural looking HDR image.
I use grads still, but given the rapidly decreasing cost of storage and increase in processing power I might give them up eventually.

BSEH

Find PP so good no need for the filters..
Try Camera raw (7.1 and up) / HDR Pro in Photoshop, where you can work with a 32 bit TIFF file in raw. Even mask out critical areas for local adjustment. Clean clear HDR in the output, not that tone mapped look.

Just at test of my old zeiss 28/2.8 - done in RAW 32 bit TIFF file 5 pic - crop 50% - and the day before cleaning day..:)

Google :photoshop Hidden Gem 32-bit HDR and Camera Raw

Lightroom 4.1 dos same 32 bit

If you do't mind more pc time try the Digital Blending using Luminance masks.

Last edited:
If you use horizons conventionally (or hyper-conventionally, like Sugimoto) a graduated filter might be useful. If you don't, it won't. I almost never make landscapes with a horizon cutting straight across the frame, so I haven't found use for a graduated filter.

I often blend exposures. In general I've found straight exposure blending (using LR Enfuse) to give more natural results than true HDR software. I don't ever want my work to look like HDR cheese.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
GND yes, HDR yes, tone mapping not so much. Grungle look not so much. Selective channel tone mapping, not so much. All other fakery to make light look better than it was, not so much.