The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Digital Nikon FM2

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

poster at the Danish Nikon service center

while we are patiently (more or less) waiting .-)

©lick for actual pixels

© • Nikon D800E • AF-S Nikkor 1.4/50mm G • 1/250 sec. at f/5.6 ISO 100 • Capture NX 2.4.4

rivercrew

Nikon DF specs:
Dimensions - 143.5 x 110 x 66.5mm
Weight - 765g

Nikon F3HP specs:
Dimensions - 148.5 x 101.5 x 69 mm
Weight - 760g

FM2 specs:
Dimensions - 142.5 x 90 x 60 mm
Weight - 540G

Swissblad

Thanks for posting that.

I would actually prefer if it has a HP viewfinder akin to the F3 rather than that of the FM2.

We tend to forget how anorexic these cameras were by todays standards!

V

Vivek

Thanks for posting that.

I would actually prefer if it has a HP viewfinder akin to the F3 rather than that of the FM2.

We tend to forget how anorexic these cameras were by todays standards!

I blame Kodak for that.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

I couldn't agree more, Swiss, the viewfinder will be the decisive part of this camera along with the autofocus feature (focus point layout etc.).

white.elephant

For me, the digitalFM question boils down to quality and calibration of the pentaprism and screen for manual focusing. I'd like high resolution, but I'd settle for great manual focusing. To me, that would make a dFM a better value proposition than a D600/610. Throwback aesthetics would be a nice sentimental touch, but are entirely unnecessary.
While the throwback looks are a plus, I agree 100% about the manual focus issue. I love to manual focus, it's part of the picture-making process to me, and trying to do that with most dslrs is a major pain in the butt.

bradhusick

Video #4 just released shows larger than expected pentaprism and "Fx" badge in lower left corner of body as you face the lens. Shutter sound has decisive "click" but no "whirr" cocking of shutter, so manual cocking should be there.

Even tastier.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
that expected price tag.... <In slow motion>... nnoooooooo ! :(

Nikon video hints at long-desired 'digital FM': Digital Photography Review

Tell me its not true.
I will wait for the release info and hope.
Oh, but in reality, $3,000 is cheap, at least for those with Nikon lenses in the drawer. For the maximum price difference between the Sony A7 and the Nikon DF, I can buy one or two good quality lenses. For those who want to shoot with native lenses, and nobody own native 35mm lenses in E-mount yet, there's no way around buying those lenses for the Sony. Nikon shooters already have some lenses that will mount on the DF and any new lens will mount on whatever Nikon cameras we already own.

Nikon of course knows this, so they price the camera accordingly. So while $3,000 dollars may not sound cheap, it's cheaper for most than half the price for the Sony.

bmacw

Oh, but in reality, $3,000 is cheap, at least for those with Nikon lenses in the drawer. For the maximum price difference between the Sony A7 and the Nikon DF, I can buy one or two good quality lenses. For those who want to shoot with native lenses, and nobody own native 35mm lenses in E-mount yet, there's no way around buying those lenses for the Sony. Nikon shooters already have some lenses that will mount on the DF and any new lens will mount on whatever Nikon cameras we already own.

Nikon of course knows this, so they price the camera accordingly. So while $3,000 dollars may not sound cheap, it's cheaper for most than half the price for the Sony.
Exactly! Long term I want to move to FF mirrorless. But even if I have money to dump on lenses, there aren't many native FF lenses for A7. (what's the point of buying adapter + A mount lenses for similar price as Nikon glassess, knowing sony's direction...)

I wanted to buy a D800, but it's just too big for everyday use. So this would be a perfect camera. The cost ownership would be much lower compare to A7r.

tjv

What I heard, price with lens will be same as D800 body only. It will have a D800 sensor and no manual wind.

f6cvalkyrie

All determining for me, with my long lenses : will it have IBIS ????
If so, 3000$ is a lot but could be overcome ...

C U,
Rafael

cam

Video #4 just released shows larger than expected pentaprism and "Fx" badge in lower left corner of body as you face the lens. Shutter sound has decisive "click" but no "whirr" cocking of shutter, so manual cocking should be there.

Even tastier.
Ooooooh, if it's got manual cocking, I am done for!

greypilgrim

I've watched the videos as they have come. They are clearly trying to target the "experience of photography" market. Tough to hit that one for a big enough group of people. Just look at this thread. Some want AF, some want IBIS, etc....

Just throwing a retro design at something isn't going to cut it. I think Guy's tagline about experimentation hits it for me. If it is a camera that encourages experimentation by getting out of the way, then they will have a winner. This does not mean the standard neutering of a camera to "make it simple." Making a simple, capable camera that is a pleasure to use, that's the expectation they are setting up with these videos. That bit about the camera leading to more photos or whatever they said.... They are setting the bar pretty high for themselves in marketing spin.

Doug

V

Vivek

I've watched the videos as they have come. They are clearly trying to target the "experience of photography" market. Tough to hit that one for a big enough group of people. Just look at this thread. Some want AF, some want IBIS, etc....
I want only one thing- D4 sensor without the Bayer- a monochrome camera with sky high DR. :D

Yes, I agree, it will be a tough sell to a larger audience.

greypilgrim

I haven't kept my old nikkors around because I am dying to spend more money on a body :). Quite the opposite. $3k had better deliver one heck of a camera. Not something just for nostalgia's sake. I can (and do) quite happily use my nikkors on an OM-D with a Speedbooster. They are coming late to this party IMO, and they are promising a lot. I am expecting to be disappointed by price/experience ratio...

Doug

bradhusick

check out this cool size comparo - not mine but based on measuring tiny details like lens release button...

Last edited: