The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Digital Nikon FM2

bmacw

I managed to put a pre-order in on the black body before the link for that item was taken down.

Reading through the product description. Really there is nothing special about this camera. Cheaper body with the D4 sensor but coupled with worse AF system (which is fine).

This is seriously a joke. I don't really understand the point of this camera. I can buy a D800E, down rez the picture to 16mp and get really close ISO performance....

Huge fail at this price point... Would've been a different story around 2k.

P.S. When I got my order in, it says the camera will be released on Nov. 28th.

Lars

Well, if I wanted to make functional camera with a retro look and feel then this is pretty much what it would look like. Especially the silver one.

ISO dial goes to H4 so definitely the D4 sensor. For a photographer who wants the best sensor on the market but not the heft and price tag of a D4 it looks well priced at 3K.

For us cheapskates it's a different story.

cam

still had it on my desktop…

Nikon Df 16.2 MP CMOS FX-Format Digital SLR Camera Body (Silver)
by Nikon

List Price: $2,749.95

Price: $2,746.95 & FREE Shipping. Details
You Save: $3.00

This item will be released on November 28, 2013.
Pre-order now.

Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.

Nikon's thinnest, lightest FX-format D-SLR
16.2MP image sensor paired with EXPEED 3 image processing
Dedicated mechanical dials for shutter speed, ISO sensitivity, exposure compensation, exposure mode and release mode
39-point autofocus system with 9 highly accurate cross-type sensors
Compatible with all current AF-S, AF-D and AF NIKKOR lenses
Note on Availability: Due to high demand we anticipate being unable to fulfill all customer orders with our first allocation. Product supply from Nikon is very limited. Your place in line will be maintained, and we will not charge your credit card until we ship the product.

tjv

I'm disappointed, unfortunately. It it happened to be this small and with video, I'd have been in. But it seems pretty crippled for the price. I like having mechanical dials for key things like ISO, shutter and WB, but this seems poorly thought out. For the price of a D800, I could put up with the extra bulk.

M

mjr

I'm really happy, I now have $3k more for drugs and hookers, not going to waste the money on this! It looks like it can't make it's mind up what it wants to be.

Tim

To me the top plate aint all that bad, its a little "busy" but so was a F3 compared to my OM4. Somehow it looks busier in chrome than it does in black. Its strange that Fuji managed to make the X100 look clean as did Leica with the M8/9. Perhaps familiarity overtime will soften the look of the controls.

I was never in on this one, but I can "appreciate" what they have tried.

bradhusick

My initial impressions agree, I think they missed the mark. My "mark" would have been a greatly simplified digital F3, not this disguised D600/D800.

If I want "Pure" I will stick with my Leica M. Don't get me wrong, I love my D4 for everything it does, but I have it already.

I was SO hoping for the manual shutter cocking lever that was in Jono's photo, but it appears that might have been the tail end of the strap instead.

roanjoh

Bleech! Not impressed. Reminds me of the Pentax K-01 with more unnecessary knobs and buttons. For full-frame users looking for a lightweight alternative - the new Sony A7/A7r/Rx1 still reigns supreme! Sorry Nikon. This reminds me of when Nikon released the coolpix A, then Ricoh just bested them with the GR......and it's cheaper to boot!

bmacw

The back vs top/front look like two different cameras. Do we really need a bracket button? There is nothing pure about this camera.

Nikon probably spent more time making those teaser videos than actually planning this camera out.

Oren Grad

Now that I've had a good look at the lens and compared it to the existing 50/1.8 G, it reminds me of the old 50/1.8 Series E - that lens started out as proudly plastic, then Nikon lost its nerve and redid the cosmetics with the silver ring and other changes to the finish to try to make it look more like a traditional Nikkor.