The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Digital Nikon FM2

Hulyss Bowman

Guys ... Some of you already ordered the Sony A7r ?

Why not waiting a bit more, seriously ? :wtf::D

Breaking: new Nikon full frame hybrid (mirrorless?) camera coming soon | Nikon Rumors

In short, here are the first "rumour" specs :

Nikon FM2 like design
16,2MP 36x23,9 full frame sensor (same as in the D4?)
SD memory card
2016-pixel RGB image sensor
9-cell framing grid display
3D color matrix metering II
Native ISO range: 100-12800 (incl. ISO 50 and ISO 108,200)
5.5 fps for up to 100 shots
3.2" LCD screen
Battery:EN-EL14
Dimensions: 143,5 x 110 x 66,5mm
Weight: 765g
It will come with a new AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G lens (again, not clear what mount the new lens will have)

AreBee

Never having shot an FM2 I am at a loss to understand what it was about this camera that made photographers hold it in such high regard.

Would anyone care to explain?

M

mjr

Ha, that site is hilarious! Is it a real site? It may have...it might have.. I'm not sure yet... what the hell is the point?! I'm going to delete it from my history just in case I'm tempted to return at some point, might as well ask my 4 year old niece to draw me a picture of a camera and label it as breaking news.

V

Vivek

Never having shot an FM2 I am at a loss to understand what it was about this camera that made photographers hold it in such high regard.

A very popular amateur camera that was great when it was working. After ~ 50,000 shutter actuations (a lot for film!), the shutter usually gave up. It is the size/weight and the simplicity compared to the F2s or the F3s (or the numerous plasticky AF models) that made it quite popular.

Hulyss Bowman

Some updates. It "seems" serious.

Standard F-mount
Pentaprism viewfinder (meaning the camera will not be mirrorless)
The camera will meter even with non-AI lenses down to full aperture
The camera will ship with a new special edition Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G lens to match the look/design of the body
The camera will have physical controls and excellent build quality (which explains the 765g weight)
Expeed 3 processor
Same sensor as in the Nikon D4
Nikon calls it a "hybrid" camera - not sure what exactly they mean with that
The announcement most likely will take place in the next 1-3 weeks

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
As things develop, it's probably just a question of time before Nikon launches an FX mirrorless. A digital FM2 is as good a guess as anything else, so why not? Me, I would prefer a full frame V2 with an FM2 user interface and AF with AF-S Nikkors :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

Standard F-mount
The camera will ship with a new special edition Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G lens to match the look/design of the body
The camera will have physical controls and excellent build quality (which explains the 765g weight)
Expeed 3 processor
That would be very cool, particularly if "hybrid" means hybrid viewfinder (would require a pellicle mirror like a Sony SLT).

V

Vivek

Standard F-mount
Expeed 3 processor
That sounds fantastic! :)

This might give me the excuse to buy the new (Noct successor) Nikkor!

Shashin

I wonder why they would start by basing it on the FM2? Shouldn't the first one be after the FM?

No. If you don't get it and you never used one, there is no way to explain it. The FM/2/3 and to a some level the FE/2 were wonderful, small, simple, reliable manual cameras. Much smaller/lighter than a F3 with a higher flash sync. Viewfinder sucked, but you could easily fit the camera with prime or small zoom lens, along with a handful of film, in a coat pocket and be off for the day. There was never any question of will it work and really no batteries to worry about either. Obviously digital requires batteries, but the FM/FE were small, simple, rugged, relatively inexpensive mechanical cameras. It has been argued that the Olympus OM cameras were the same but better. As far as long term durability, well, the FM died and the F3 still works, but the F3 has had all manner of electrical issues over the years. And despite what people say, the F3 is an electronic camera.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I wonder why they would start by basing it on the FM2? Shouldn't the first one be after the FM?
It would be based on neither, I suppose, except for looks, size and simplicity.

As for the comparison to the Olympus OM, the Olympus was first and had more small lenses to match the concept. The last Olympus models, the OM-3/T/Ti and 4/T/Ti were also much more advanced cameras, stuffed with electronics. Still, I always felt that the FM-FM3A had smoother operation and more solid build quality.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
If it would be a FF mirror less, I would understand. I do not understand another DSLR based model, even if it is as simple as the original FM2.

But even if I do not understand that model strategy, I would be very tempted to buy one, if it is similar to the FM2 - which I really loved!

V

Vivek

Good point! If one of the rumor lines is to be believed it would have similarities to the FM and not the FM2.

The AI meter coupling tab in FM, IIRC, can be pushed out of the way to allow non AI lenses to be mounted and used unlike the FM2.

mmbma

Good point! If one of the rumor lines is to be believed it would have similarities to the FM and not the FM2.

The AI meter coupling tab in FM, IIRC, can be pushed out of the way to allow non AI lenses to be mounted and used unlike the FM2.
well I'm going to find out at PhotoPlus. Anyone else going?

V

Vivek

The rumor site updated the leak info:

Nikon FM2 like design
16.2MP 36x23,9 full frame sensor (same as in the D4?)
SD memory card
2016-pixel RGB image sensor
9-cell framing grid display
3D color matrix metering II
Native ISO range: 100-12,800 (incl. ISO 50 and ISO 108,200)
5.5 fps for up to 100 shots
3.2" LCD screen
Battery:EN-EL14
Dimensions: 143.5 x 110 x 66.5mm
Weight: 765g
It will come with a new AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G lens (again, not clear what mount the new lens will have)
Standard F-mount
No video recording capabilities
Expeed 3 processor
The announcement will be in the next few months, maybe even in the next 1-3 weeks:
No video recording capabilities

If that is true, I am in! :)