The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone bought a D3X yet?

kinok1

Thinking about making the investment. Wanted to see if there were any in the forum that have a first hand response to using the camera in a professional studio environment.

Thanks.

Gary

Stuart Richardson

Are you solely interested in the optical characteristics, or are you interested in the overall handling characteristics and utility? Have you used the D3? The handling is pretty spectacular...

kinok1

Yes. I use the D3 and M8 as my primary work horses. What im interested in is the output quality of the files. I was holding out for the S2 to make the jump. Was just wondering if the D3X might suit my studio needs.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I loved the D3 handling, but was bored with the images.
We will see.....
-bob

etrigan63

From an economic standpoint, the D3x makes more sense in your case (and mine too, I just need more money and gigs to justify it). Investing in S2 requires not only a body but also the lenses and those won't be cheap. If you have good Nikkor glass, the D3x should give you image quality on par with the D300 (theoretically, based on pixel density) just with a heck of a lot more detail. I have seen test shots (author David Busch sent me some from his D3x) and they are very impressive for the amount of detail they provide.

Here is a small version of the test shot he sent me:

and here is a link to the full sized image.

fotografz

I think we need to see better examples from this camera ... from what I've seen so far, the smallest MFD back does a much better job ... and some of the Sony A900 work posted is also better looking.

Hope it's just the samples so far, because personally I DO want Nikon to succeed and flourish with high end digital capture.

IMO, they should've come out with a lower price point on this camera even if it proves itself to be killer machine. The 5DMKII and A900 are almost 3X less expensive if one were looking for a stop gap while waiting for a MFD camera to fit their needs.

D

ddk

I loved the D3 handling, but was bored with the images.
We will see.....
-bob
Do you care to elaborate Bob? I'm curious about your reasons since I didn't like the D3 either.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Do you care to elaborate Bob? I'm curious about your reasons since I didn't like the D3 either.
The files never looked that good to me, just boring.
I am not terribly sure if it was lens related, or AA filter related, but I think that I have been spoiled by the M8 and the Phase P45+.
I want files to sing with detail and sharpness, or at least I would prefer to be in control. With the D3 it was just not really there.
Some of the samples I have seen of the D3X are encouraging, but I am being a bit cautious now after the D3 experience. From the D3X samples I have seen, it could be that the issues were AA related, but before sinking that much for yet another new body, I would like to see a few good raw files before taking the jump.
I did like the ergonomics, however, everything important that I needed mid-shoot was at my fingertips.
was were your findings?
thanks
-bob

D

ddk

I am not terribly sure if it was lens related, or AA filter related, but I think that I have been spoiled by the M8 and the Phase P45+.
I want files to sing with detail and sharpness, or at least I would prefer to be in control. With the D3 it was just not really there.
Some of the samples I have seen of the D3X are encouraging, but I am being a bit cautious now after the D3 experience. From the D3X samples I have seen, it could be that the issues were AA related, but before sinking that much for yet another new body, I would like to see a few good raw files before taking the jump.
I did like the ergonomics, however, everything important that I needed mid-shoot was at my fingertips.
was were your findings?
thanks
-bob
I had the same experience as you, ergonomically a great camera but the images left me cold the same as it did with the D2x and D300 prior to that. I'm in love with my Fujis and have a Leaf 75s for high rez, I guess we're in the same boat.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I had the same experience as you, ergonomically a great camera but the images left me cold the same as it did with the D2x and D300 prior to that. I'm in love with my Fujis and have a Leaf 75s for high rez, I guess we're in the same boat.
David,
Have you tried the Sony?

D

ddk

David,
Have you tried the Sony?
No but I looked into it and didn't make sense for me. For one I'm really happy with the S5 and don't really need anything more for now. 2nd, I have a very heavy investment in F mount glass, Nikkors, Zeiss, Hasselblads, etc., that I collected over the years and many of which I really like. Sony's main allure was the Zeiss AF lenses until I found out that there aren't any primes besides the 135mm yet, so no more temptation. Bottom line, as far 35mm is concerned the S5 is still THE camera for me, even medium format hasn't changed that. I'm not a pixel peeper and only do that when the images aren't right for me and thats what I did with the the D3 and the Sigma so they're gone, I'm seeing too much of that going on with the Sony too. High MP count isn't a substitute for tonal depth and range, maybe I'll bite if I find another dslr that beats the S5 in that department...

fotografz

No but I looked into it and didn't make sense for me. For one I'm really happy with the S5 and don't really need anything more for now. 2nd, I have a very heavy investment in F mount glass, Nikkors, Zeiss, Hasselblads, etc., that I collected over the years and many of which I really like. Sony's main allure was the Zeiss AF lenses until I found out that there aren't any primes besides the 135mm yet, so no more temptation. Bottom line, as far 35mm is concerned the S5 is still THE camera for me, even medium format hasn't changed that. I'm not a pixel peeper and only do that when the images aren't right for me and thats what I did with the the D3 and the Sigma so they're gone, I'm seeing too much of that going on with the Sony too. High MP count isn't a substitute for tonal depth and range, maybe I'll bite if I find another dslr that beats the S5 in that department...
There is also a Zeiss AF 85/1.4 Prime, and it has been offered for some time. Some of the Sony G series lenses are stellar optics ... for example my 70-200/2.8G APO visibly outperforms my Nikon 70-200/2.8VR as well as the Canon 70-200/2.8IS I had prior to the Nikon.

The A900 is pretty new on the scene and needs to be further explored ... but one thing I've already taken note of that goes completely counter to your statement concerning tonal depth and range ... the various DR settings available on the A900 are astounding .... and I've not seen ANY current 35mm digital camera that can match it for versatility in different lighting conditions. Plus, it's full frame and 25 meg. I wouldn't put very much stock in some of the images posted from the A900 quite yet ... it takes awhile to get the most from something this new.

The D3 is a work horse, and the images from the big pixel captures are excellent for applications like event and sports coverage ... where a Fuji or Sony would be to slow... and in my case shooting weddings not secure enough due to only single CF card capture. My D3 images haven't left me cold, they just needed zeroing in the custom settings in post. Nice stuff from it when using a Zeiss 110/2FE or my 250/4FE or Zeiss ZF 50/2 macro and ZF 28/2.

robmac

Marc,

Care to share any of your custom PP D3/700 settings/workflow?

I'd be curious (as I'm sure others would be ) to see how they tweak (in my case) some new D700 test shots I managed to take with the 14-24 and 70-200 VR yesterday. The 700 left me impressed (as did the glass).

It took forever for local shops to get the 700 in so I relied on raw images from other shooters for testing. Hell, none of the local shops even carry the D3 - too high end for the market.

D

ddk

There is also a Zeiss AF 85/1.4 Prime, and it has been offered for some time. Some of the Sony G series lenses are stellar optics ... for example my 70-200/2.8G APO visibly outperforms my Nikon 70-200/2.8VR as well as the Canon 70-200/2.8IS I had prior to the Nikon.

The A900 is pretty new on the scene and needs to be further explored ... but one thing I've already taken note of that goes completely counter to your statement concerning tonal depth and range ... the various DR settings available on the A900 are astounding .... and I've not seen ANY current 35mm digital camera that can match it for versatility in different lighting conditions. Plus, it's full frame and 25 meg. I wouldn't put very much stock in some of the images posted from the A900 quite yet ... it takes awhile to get the most from something this new.
Thanks for the info Mark, as I mentioned the mp count isn't really important to me but your comment regarding tonal range and DR is. I have to see what they have in the wide range since I rarely go above 35mm now and don't like to use zooms.

The D3 is a work horse, and the images from the big pixel captures are excellent for applications like event and sports coverage ... where a Fuji or Sony would be to slow... and in my case shooting weddings not secure enough due to only single CF card capture. My D3 images haven't left me cold, they just needed zeroing in the custom settings in post. Nice stuff from it when using a Zeiss 110/2FE or my 250/4FE or Zeiss ZF 50/2 macro and ZF 28/2.
I see the D3's appeal for you and many others, in my case speed isn't an issue, well, unless I'm running after our 3 year old. I have all the ZF lenses and still couldn't get the D3 to sing. More than anything I wanted it to work for its wonderful view finder, that makes a huge difference in my case since I use mf lenses almost exclusively and my eyesight isn't what it used to be.

woodyspedden

was were your findings?
thanks
-bob
Bob

I assume that the samples from the D3X you have seen also used Nikon glass so the culprit must be the sensor or the AA filter

Woody

robsteve

Subscriber
Hell, none of the local shops even carry the D3 - too high end for the market.
Rob:

Have you tried Atlantic Photo Supply? The owner told me they have sold a ton of the Nikon D3. They got them pretty early too, before you started seeing them in the USA. In Canada, the NPS members got the first batch. A lot of their customers were NPS.

The D3X may be the same.

Robert

robmac

Hey Robert,

Haven't tried APS, but last time I was in there they had bupkus (sic) in stock (wasn't in shopping mode, anyway...). They, like CM can order you one, but... CM (which is all but useless) has also sold a number of D3s - on an order basis.

I was told by a CM employee that Nikon wanted too much of a commitment re: D3 and upper-end lens inventory to justify them having any on the shelves. Who knows,

I just happened to walk into CM in Bayers Lake for something else and noticed a D700 and 14-24, etc in the cabinet so decided to strike with a test while the iron was hot. Normally their cabinets are solely D70-D300 (maybe) and mid-level zoom territory

Salesman was very accommodating - lots of shots inside and outside of store (without a guardian) with as many lenses (given their selection) as I wanted to try.

D

ddk

The A900 is pretty new on the scene and needs to be further explored ... but one thing I've already taken note of that goes completely counter to your statement concerning tonal depth and range ... the various DR settings available on the A900 are astounding .... and I've not seen ANY current 35mm digital camera that can match it for versatility in different lighting conditions.
Mark would you say that Andree's results in this thread are typical of A900's tonal depth and range?

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4915

robsteve

Subscriber
Hey Robert,

Haven't tried APS, but last time I was in there they had bupkus (sic) in stock (wasn't in shopping mode, anyway...). .
Atlantic Photo is a Nikon Pro dealer, so as part of that level of dealership they will stock the top pro body, if stock can be had. As I said about the D3, they didn't sit on the shelves, just sold like hotcakes. I also bought all my new Leica bodies there with the exception of the M8.

I don't think Carsand Mosher is a Nikon Pro dealer, just a Canon Pro dealer.

Robert