The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikkor 58mm f1.4 - 1st hands on views

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
THe funky field curvature would explain some of what I have been seeing in the closer focus distance examples -- I actually wondered about curvature given the way many of the images look. At any rate, I loved this final comment -- pretty telling:

"Optically, it has excellent resolution. It’s a bit better than the 50mm f/1.4 G. I’m not saying the 58mm is overpriced; it’s about the same price as the 85mm or 35mm f/1.4G lenses. I am saying that this test makes the 50mm f/1.4 G look like quite a bargain."

Hulyss Bowman

I loved this final comment:

"Optically, it has excellent resolution. It’s a bit better than the 50mm f/1.4 G. I’m not saying the 58mm is overpriced; it’s about the same price as the 85mm or 35mm f/1.4G lenses. I am saying that this test makes the 50mm f/1.4 G look like quite a bargain."
It sweat deception :D

V

Vivek

THe funky field curvature would explain some of what I have been seeing in the closer focus distance examples -- I actually wondered about curvature given the way many of the images look. At any rate, I found this final comment pretty telling:

If I am renting out lenses, I would word it carefully as well. :)

That "test" on an optical bench, I am not sure it involves infinity and I would not take it very seriously.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
My bet is that inside a year, there will be multiple copies of this lens available used at well under $1000. Seriously folks, trust me and grab a 50/1.2 while you can. Heck, I may even buy a second one to put away in the cabinet…

D&A

I don't have a dog in this fight yet, so to speak...but after handling one and taking some test shots I am of two minds regarding this lens. As an "art" type lens, that does especially well in low light/nightime photography, especially with point light sources and is also probably very good for closer range portraiture with it's gentle slightly soft and forgiving rendition at closer range. it definitely has some advantages (and disadvantages) when compared to the current Nikon 50mm f1.4G lens. It has "a look" for which many SLR lenses aren't noted for and depending on how it's used, it can often produce some alluring attractive images...but outisde of those I've seen, it's been far and few. Whether it's worth anywhere near it's price point, can certainly be debated.

The Sigma 50mm f1.4 shot at f1.4 can also produce very attractive imagery and bokeh although resolution drops off precipitously away from the central part of the frame. In some ways, the new 58mm is a blending of characteristics of the Sigma 50mm f1.4 and Nikon 50mm f1.4G. Neither though is quite as good for coma free (relative) imagery of point light sources.

Extensive comparison with the old 58mm f1.2 is inevitable, a lens I've used for quite a few years. If it's simply about sharpness, this lens fails in my opinion. How much is it worth all the other things it does well is going to be debated for quite some time.

Dave (D&A)

As stated, it's not about the numbers or one is surely going to be disappointed.

Last edited:

anthonysemone

I lucked out and got a virtually BNIB 50/1.2 Ai-S from a gentleman over on FM. Can't wait to get the first shots back from using it with my F4 :) $520 shipped, full insurance and PP fees. :) :) :)

Dustbak

well, I just forked over the 1750€ this afternoon to pickup my copy. I have owned every MF version of the 50's and find myself nowadays too lazy to use mf on the Nikon. I like using AF. Lets see how the 58/1.4 fares. I am not so hung up anymore on absolute sharpness, I like using stuff between 50 and 85 so in many areas this might become a lens that i will grab more often. Otherwise I will sell it as soon as it is fully depreciated :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
My only comment is that as long as you're going manual focus anyway, for a couple hundred more you can have the 50/1.2 Nikkor:

The choice between the Nikkor 50/1.2 an Voigtlander 58/1.4 is a matter of taste. Personally, I prefer the softer bokeh of the Voigtlander.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I gotta be honest, so far I'm not seeing it. What I see is low contrast, not a lot of crisp sharp but very nice smooth bokeh -- all maybe pleasing for most people's skin, but not classic IMHO. I am actually reminded of the old "white softnet #1" filter effect. Moreover, what I do see is that the new 58 renders faces in a slightly more -- and definitely noticeable -- "bulbous" fashion than a typical 50. The Greenspan portrait in the above-linked Hurd article is a good example. Even in the quad of portrait examples of the woman, the 58/1.4 version seems just a tad moreso than the others. My humble .02 only...

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I gotta be honest, so far I'm not seeing it. What I see is low contrast, not a lot of crisp sharp but very nice smooth bokeh -- all maybe pleasing for most people's skin, but not classic IMHO. I am actually reminded of the old "white softnet #1" filter effect. Moreover, what I do see is that the new 58 renders faces in a slightly more -- and definitely noticeable -- "bulbous" fashion than a typical 50. The Greenspan portrait in the above-linked Hurd article is a good example. Even in the quad of portrait examples of the woman, the 58/1.4 version seems just a tad moreso than the others. My humble .02 only...
Greenspan looks bulbous even in person :eek:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Understood, but what I see I see even in the quad of the woman's portraits…