The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

First shots with the Otus

ryc

The traditional open th box and shoot anything regardless of how stupid it is. I believe most of these were at 1.4. I borrowed my neighbors D600 since my D4 is out till tomorrow.

All I can say, it's amazing! I have owned the Noctilux, and all sorts of exotic glass. This Otus is the KING of bokeh!

It does not feel heavy at all. At least on the D600. The only thing I do not like so far is the stop at infinity. It makes that hard metal on metal bang when you reach the end of the rotation. However, it is the SMOOTHEST focusing lens I have ever felt.

Here are a few pics

More here :

zeissimages.com - The photo gallery.

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
You get what you pay for Jorgen.. and this kind of quality is never cheap,I ordered one but my dealer told me the next deliveries are a few months away..
If I had any guts, I should sell all my gear except the D700 and the F6 and buy this, the 25/2 and the 100/2. Unfortunately, I don't have enough guts :rolleyes:

V

Vivek

Looks delicious! :)

The manual focus lenses thread ought to include this lens! :)

D&A

I'm willing, I'm able....well...um, I'm able when I win the lottery...LOL!

Thanks for posting of these images and it certainly has me wanting to see more of what this lens is capable of.

Dave (D&A)

ryc

My D$ should be in today. Shuould get some real world pictures by tomorrow on a better sensor and raw. These were all in camera jpegs from neighbors D600.

I must say after owning Leica and it's exotic lenses, I find the bokeh on this otus will be hard to beat. And when you compare the price to the noct or new summicron, it's a bargain :)

M

mjr

This lens looks as good as I had hoped, I'm going to test it when it gets to Sweden. I can see adding this and having Zeiss 21, 55 and 135 as being my basic kit supplemented by older mf lenses for the in between bits, very cool!

Enjoy it ryc (lucky git!)

Mat

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I'm no doubt gonna catch a whole bunch of crap for saying this out loud, but initially at least it looks a whole lot better to me than Nikon's 58/1.4. Would like to see more portraits first though…

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
My $700 50/1.2 (that I already own) is looking a lot better and a lot more precious to me this week.

:D :D :D

V

Vivek

The light fall off from the 50/1.2 AiS (even on APS-C) made me sell it. The good news is that a forum member is using it on his Canon FF. :)

ryc

Better pictures to come later tonight or tomorrow.

price is 3990.00 a LOT less than Leica's best and a lot better too :)

ryc

JT - How you finding focus 'pop' in the 800e's VF?
I used a d600. surprisingly focus was fairly easy and it came in fine. on the F6 with the split prism screen, it is night and day better. not to mention the brighter view finder. will let you know how it works on the d4 later tonight or tomorrow.