The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

First shots with the Otus

jduncan

You get nothing for nothing.. :)

These results should soften the blow to your wallet..

If we go to the measurements we will see how good it really is and how "bad" the 58mm f1.4G is out center.

The only "weakness" of the Otus is vignetting, ah and the lack of autofocus :).

leicashot

Terrific shots! Did you only shoot @ 1.4? Gorgeous model, btw.
Yes all were shot at f/1.4 for this first look as it's where Zeiss say we will notice the biggest improvements over other lenses, and boy they were right about that and then some!

leicashot

If we go to the measurements we will see how good it really is and how "bad" the 58mm f1.4G is out center.

The only "weakness" of the Otus is vignetting, ah and the lack of autofocus :).
Let me tell you, these results mean absolutely nothing when you look at real world results. IMHO, there's even no need to do side by side comparisons because it wouldn't even be close to a fair contest. There are those who will feel it's best to not believe just how good it is because they don't really want to buy such a large lens, so it will take some time for people to warm up to using it. Yes it's large for a 50mm lens, but people happily use similar sized 85/135mm lenses, so why not this for it's amazing quality in a lens that will be more useful to a lot of people compared to other lenses. The Otus is clearly the best lens ever made for 35mm photography, period.

ryc

leicashot;554011The Otus is clearly the best lens ever made for 35mm photography, period.
Working for Obama ? Just joking. I just had to get that in there. Period.

I agree. Best lens and am glad to own one.

Tell me how you shot the night pictures. Auto iso?

Thanks for posting.

leicashot

Working for Obama ? Just joking. I just had to get that in there. Period.

I agree. Best lens and am glad to own one.

Tell me how you shot the night pictures. Auto iso?

Thanks for posting.
No I never use anything in auto. Too unpredictable. You can never trust a camera in regards to exposure if you want consistent results.

I just selected ISO's from 800-6400, depending on the light to keep the shutter at a respectable speed to ensure sharp results at f/1.4.

JohnBrew

So for the daylight shots were you using an ND filter? Just curious, but
I'm sure I'll find out for myself as my rental Otus arrives tomorrow...

johnnygoesdigital

I'm impressed by this lens and the results, but just don't bond with the FL. When will Zeiss offer different focal lengths for these newly formulated designs?

ryc

patience grasshopper :)

The 55 is actually quite practical. From normal to portrait use. I would like to see an 85 or 90 next. That would round up my lineup nicely.

k-hawinkler

Thanks. Excellent tonal ranges. Interesting shed design.

I am thinking of ordering an Otus 55/1.4 lens.
How long would I have to wait for its delivery?
Thanks again.

RVB

Thanks. Excellent tonal ranges. Interesting shed design.

I am thinking of ordering an Otus 55/1.4 lens.
How long would I have to wait for its delivery?
Thanks again.
I have one ordered and I have been told to expect it in march... :(

Photojazz

Awesome results. Still not in love with the look of this lens. I know results are what counts. but it just doesn't have that appeal when I look at it to me like some lenses do. The heavily smoothed industrial look just doesn't say buy me to me. I am keeping my 50mm Zeiss MP 2.0, and my 58mm noct for my needs. :)

JohnBrew

Doug, I'm doing exactly that tomorrow - it's the big face off between the Zeiss Otus and the 50 Makro-Planar! I'll post images.

Up to this point I believe the Otus to be an exceptionally sharp lens. But then so is my 50 Makro. Is there $3K worth of difference here? Time will tell...

ryc

I have had the 50 makro. If I didnt own the Otus now I would just pickup anther 50 f2. Problem is I really don't need the otus but like owning it. The makro is so much more practical in size. but the otus delivers such outstanding results. I would not recommend the otus unless you need that level of performance. I just happen to have been fortunate enough to get one of the first ones and am not willing to part with it. I may put it back in the box and shelf it for a while. However, I will say, I will probably use my 50mm 1.4 AIS more often now because of size.