Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Nikon Df

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Nikon Df

The D4 sensor is about the only thing that makes me want to buy one, its either this or a 7100. I need something for runway and i shoot about 15 thousand images in about 3 days. My issue is I am wearing my D800E out and I do not need 36mpx to shoot this stuff. I do need fast continuous focus and about 3 fps only. I shoot about 5 frames in a 75 foot walk down the runway any more than that its way to much to load up via smugmug. I need a vertical grip too or else its no good for me. I just checked a rental for a 7100 and its only 185 bucks for the time I need it. Frankly that is my best option but I like owning stuff. LOL

This is the ONLY gig I shoot jpegs on, so they have to be good out of cam.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    Nikon Df 50 F1.8 Kit Lens

Rail Tie

Thanks,

Bob

This one also seems extremely real and natural
    Bob, you doesn’t use C1?
    If you do, could you try to do a comparison? with this one for example?
    Thorkil

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Really grew a strong dislike to C1 prior to 7 as it spewed folders wherever it could without a good reason....good color and RAW but just so lame.

I just downloaded 7.1.5 and it does not see the Df RAW files ... perhaps an update by the first of the year?

I do want to compare the skin tones from C1 with NX2 when it addresses the RAW files.

Bob
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Black or silver, decisions, decisions… Does anybody know if the black one is brass underneath?
    Nope But I believe that the silver one is painted... I saw one today, and it didn't look quite the same as a silver Leica M6 or whatever.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I just got back from shopping and did go for the black one Factory low battery got depleted setting up the menus and AF fine-tuning a few lenses, so it's on the charger now. And they had no extras in stock, about a week out.

Anyway, a few comments. A 64G card looks like it will do about 1400 RAW+LgFine jpgs, or about how long the battery is supposed to last.

I am really impressed with the control layout -- amazing to me that Nikon could build a camera smaller and lighter and that looks so cool retro, yet all of the main controls fall almost right where they do on a D800. Love the fact this one does the 100% zoom on review with the Fn button too -- I seriously wouldn't have bought in if it didn't.

This could be the ultimate travel cam; smallish, light and easy to use while producing phenomenal files.

It may just be me, but does anybody else think the AF seems a tad bit faster than even the D800's? (Frankly surprises me if it is.)

I agree with the comment above about it becoming an instant favorite. I honestly bought this as an indulgent toy, albeit one that would look cool and had the ability to produce phenomenal images when I wanted a casual camera. What I got may still be a toy, but it fits my hands and works much like my other goto workhorses. I like it enough, I can see a future where another one of them may displace one of my D800 bodies...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Talking Re: Nikon Df

No sell that D800 and get a Zeiss 135 F2 . Trust me on this.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

@Guy, my only issue with the 135 is it's a focal length I've never cozied up to. For whatever reason, it's always seemed either just a tad too long or a tad too short, leaving me seeing more in a 105 or 180 mode. I know it may well be the best optic available for FF digital at present, but I'd have a tough time coughing up that coin for something I feel I wouldn't use very much. It's frankly why I don't own a 80-200 zoom anymore either -- I typically only used it at 100-ish or 200, and never much in between.

The 180 Nikkors are pretty cheap right now, and while clearly not in the same optical league as the Z135 I made some great images with one of the ED manual focus versions back when I shot film. So I may try to get one of those or the newer AF versions to play with.
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

@Jack
    The controls are exactly where they were on my F and my F3hp LOL
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    @Jack
    -bob
    except for those front and rear command wheels!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What is missing is the thumb lever hooked to a tiny magneto to charge the battery
    www.getdpi.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    @Jack
    -bob
    Which is why it was somewhat of a pleasant revelation to see it in the flesh...I was willing to consider a Sony A99 as I loved my A900 color but when I saw the Df I was convinced...not love but sincere like....and an optical VF.

I now find the color to be vastly improved ... the yellows are yesterdays news.

I love how strong the analog locks are on the camera...no slipping and changing in the bag or with an errant move in the dark.

Have acquired a 105 DC on Jack's strong recommendation and a 58 1.4 in spite of his recommendation...

Now where are those additional batteries? Tell the truth it is refreshing to see how quickly Nikon shipped ... not vaporware.

Never want to pass an opportunity to post a pic...

Nikon Df 50 F1.8 Kit Lens

Bridge Graffiti

More Graffiti

Train Roundtable Switches

Bob
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    The D4 sensor is about the only thing that makes me want to buy one
    Really the compelling point of this camera!

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay you guys can all chip in a buy me one for my birthday. Tomorrow that is. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    Really the compelling point of this camera!

Bob
    That's for sure --- made that much more obvious from the great set of images you've shared which allowed us to see the exceptional color palette

Seriously, it was the images you posted here and yours and Graham's combined remarks about the usability, controls and menus that sold me. Nothing in Nikon's literature convinced me this cam was going to be worth the price...

I get to use it this weekend, so hope I have some nice images to post next week. Don't have capture NX, so not sure what I'll convert with at this point.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

That's for sure --- made that much more obvious from the great set of images you've shared which allowed us to see the exceptional color palette

Seriously, it was the images you posted here and yours and Graham's combined remarks about the usability, controls and menus that sold me. Nothing in Nikon's literature convinced me this cam was going to be worth the price...

I get to use it this weekend, so hope I have some nice images to post next week. Don't have capture NX, so not sure what I'll convert with at this point.
    Think only View NX2 is on the CD in the box...Not with it ... Capture NX2 is what I have had forever but I think View NX2 is not worth the time...and Capture NX2 is the one you want...2.4.5

Here is a link...

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Pro...wnload%29.html

It has NIK control point software integrated....

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I hate to pay $180 bucks for what will be a temporary piece of software for me. I happen *LOVE* C1's workflow and the quality conversions it gives me. Hopefully they'll get the Df NEF updated soon.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am really impressed with the control layout -- amazing to me that Nikon could build a camera smaller and lighter and that looks so cool retro, yet all of the main controls fall almost right where they do on a D800. Love the fact this one does the 100% zoom on review with the Fn button too -- I seriously wouldn't have bought in if it didn't.

(snip)

I agree with the comment above about it becoming an instant favorite. I honestly bought this as an indulgent toy, albeit one that would look cool and had the ability to produce phenomenal images when I wanted a casual camera. What I got may still be a toy, but it fits my hands and works much like my other goto workhorses.
    I rented a body from LensRentals.com and I love the feel and the quality of the images. I *hoped* I would like it but it's a deeper feeling than that. The one I rented is the silver, but I'm probably going to buy a black.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    The D4 sensor is about the only thing that makes me want to buy one...
    Agreed.

...its either this or a 7100
    Surely it can't be either/or Guy! I have a D7100, but I still think a less expensive D4 (which for now is the Df) could be a worthy addition. For me however, that would only be if it was less expensive than the current Df price.

I don't care to pay extra for the retro features...it's the D4 sensor I'm interested in.

If Nikon put a D4 sensor in a compact D7100 style body for less than $2k....I'd buy it in a heart beat.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

I a torn. I just spent a boat load on new lenses and a d4. I love the d4 build and sensor. however, dont like the 6k i just put down on it. Having said that I have not stopped thinking about returning the d4 to amazon (I have about 10 days left) and getting the df. what to do !#$?? I know if I return the D4 I will regret it. and If I don't buy the DF I will regret it. I am like a monkey that grabs a piece of salt through a small hole and wants to escape but also wants the salt. therefor never letting go and his hand wont come out through the hole while gripping the salt. leading to eventual capture.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jorge - just how many D4s have you purchased now?

I think you'll be surprised at the usability of the Df but it certainly won't give you the same heft as a full D4. For some people that physical nature of the full size D bodies is important (I'm one btw, although I like the feel of the Df).

I prefer to think of the Df as a mini-D4 in some retro clothing. The retro stuff is nice to use and I certainly don't miss the video as I've never used it. However, the Df acts just like any other Nikon digital body which is a big plus IMHO.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Armanius View Post
    Does the DF have a focus confirmation aid when manually focusing -- including when using older Nikkor manual focus only lenses?
    Anyone please? Thank you!
    Armanius
    My Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you focus manually, you can get the focus confirmation in the viewfinder as best as the Df can manage for you.
    Last edited by GrahamWelland; 5th December 2013 at 09:23.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ryc View Post
    I a torn. I just spent a boat load on new lenses and a d4. I love the d4 build and sensor. however, dont like the 6k i just put down on it. Having said that I have not stopped thinking about returning the d4 to amazon (I have about 10 days left) and getting the df. what to do !#$?? I know if I return the D4 I will regret it. and If I don't buy the DF I will regret it. I am like a monkey that grabs a piece of salt through a small hole and wants to escape but also wants the salt. therefor never letting go and his hand wont come out through the hole while gripping the salt. leading to eventual capture.
    Let's be clear what the Df isn't -- and that's a D4! It shares a sensor, and so can make single images equal to the D4. It can't do 11 FPS and it can't do video. And if you drop your Df on the cobbles, I give it a 50/50 chance of survival -- where the D4 is a likely survivor and may not even show any bruises.

So that out of the way, IF you don't need 11 frames per second or the robust build or video, then for the same expense, you could own a pair of Df's --- and speaking for myself, if the choice for me was one body or 2, I'd always go for 2. And more specifically to your case, the 2 I'd go for would be a Df and a D800E, same total cost as a D4 and more total versatility. But I don't need 11 frames per second or the robust build, especially if I have 2 bodies…
    Jack

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Df is pretty expensive here (3029 Euros/kit). The D800 body is 2086 Euros (about 13 Euros less than the Sony A7R).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    If you focus manually, you can get the focus confirmation in the viewfinder as best as the Df can manage for you. IIRC (I don't have the camera with me here) You will need to either use a shutter half press or the AF-ON button while focusing to have it display focus confirmation.
    Is there some type of indicator that lights up if the DF thinks you have manually achieved focus? And how accurate is the aid?

Thank you for your help Graham. I really appreciate it.
    Armanius
    My Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

High ISO and f16 in a dim breakfast nook.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Is there some type of indicator that lights up if the DF thinks you have manually achieved focus? And how accurate is the aid?

Thank you for your help Graham. I really appreciate it.
    You will see a green dot when in focus. There are also indicators either side if focused beyond or in front of the focal point. You also see this all the time that the VF display is active - i.e. you don't need to use AF-ON or shutter half release (sorry, I was going from flawed memory out on the road).

Accurate? Well I suppose that depends on your camera's VF and focus selection calibration. If you want truly accurate then use live view as that'll show you what the sensor is seeing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    You will see a green dot when in focus. There are also indicators either side if focused beyond or in front of the focal point. You also see this all the time that the VF display is active - i.e. you don't need to use AF-ON or shutter half release (sorry, I was going from flawed memory out on the road).

Accurate? Well I suppose that depends on your camera's VF and focus selection calibration. If you want truly accurate then use live view as that'll show you what the sensor is seeing.
    Thanks Graham. I assume that this focus aid is only possible with the newer lenses with electronic contacts?
    Armanius
    My Flickr

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Graham. I assume that this focus aid is only possible with the newer lenses with electronic contacts?
    No, it works with all AIS lenses. As for accuracy, the green dot is optimized for f2.8 lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

I wentto the store and played with it. Looks like a really nice camera and congrats to those who own it.

Post Thanks / Like

NeilVN sums up his experience

http://neilvn.com/tangents/camera-review-nikon-df/

Having used the F3, FM2 and FM3, I don't worry too much about "backward" ergonomics.

The IQ seems very good indeed.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Harrumph!
    Just thought I might pick one up, until, in horror, I found that the price here is £2749.00, which is about $4400 which is really very expensive!

Booooo!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

If you can mount it, you will get focus confirmation - no chip needed.

I use various Nikon bodies with chipped & unchipped Nikon, Zeiss & Voightlander lenses as well as various medium format lenses via adapters.

If the body is one with a dot & arrows (vs just a dot) it will show you arrows for required focus adjustment correction "in Nikon" (Nikon's "reverse" direction) as it assumes a Nikon lens is mounted.

Canon cameras require a chip on the lens or adapter to enable focus confirmation. Glad I left that BS behind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Harrumph!
    Just thought I might pick one up, until, in horror, I found that the price here is £2749.00, which is about $4400 which is really very expensive!

Booooo!
    I cannot understand these price fluctuations - other than it being a rip-off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nikon Df

Same here where I live, Jono and Swiss.
    I have never seen as much excitement with a rumor of a coming camera as with this digital F camera.
    Right until the price was revealed.

There are no waiting lists, the Df is in stock all over the town.
    In my opinion Nikon really blew it on this introduction, they missed a unique opportunity by pricing it as a piece of jewelry instead of as a tool.
    Had the Df been priced according to the specifications, the waiting lists would have been even longer than the D800 waiting lists at the D800 introduction. I believe.

Double harrumph

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"Just" 4.505$ and 2.753£, here in Denmark, but we do have 25% Vat (to keep the society rolling ).
    But I'm still considering it. A D4 was totally out of reach for a "poor" man like me.
    And considering that, it suddenly seems very cheap...
    And I could get poorer in a nice way, and on the way Down..I could take some handsome Pictures too...
    I know a D610 is almost half the Price, and the pro's claim it would be way better in the hand, but....the Df do perhaps have that Little twist, like my M6 had, not so slippery as a 610, more edgy (I dont care about the hyped retro-discussion, even though I do like the look, but I do like Wheels etc. so I can look Down and see whats going on, in a good old fashion way. But there should have been a distance button, something like that on the Leica Minilux). But the outmost importing thing for me will be that phrase, a matter of "feeling friendly connected". Feeling its an atraction just to pick it up and go out with it in your hand. And I do have a suspicion this could happen with a Df.
    thorkil

Post Thanks / Like

Those prices are insane over there. As that mainly Tax? You should just have someone here in the states send one your way. I just pay the retail price. No sales tax in Oregon.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi JT. It isn't just the Tax. It's just serious price gouging on Nikon's part.
    Like Thorkil I'm tempted anyway, but the principal really gets up my nose. I could buy from the states, but then what about the warranty?
    CROSS

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

The warranty should be international and valid everywhere… but by the time you've paid customs etc…..?

I'm waiting till spring to see of prices drop. The normal d800 has plummeted locally…. so it may serve as an indicator.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, if you guys want to buy in the states, let me know. I could arrange to ship in several packages to make it look like something other than a new camera and avoid those taxes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think they will catch it by the border, and then one has to pay tax at that time.
    The other thing about high VAT and high personal taxes are complicated to explain, and will be a too long story.
    But in short we do have a very expensive society (but normally we do love it though ), with a lot of welfare. Free education for all and free healthcare for all.
    If you get sick, get cancer or other very expensive deceases its totally free to get threatment for everybody (even threatments for millions)(new Heart, lunges, knees etc.), poor, rich, everybody. And if you get cancer there is a garanty that you will be in threatment very quickly(about very few weeks).
    We also have some social securitysystem, even though this have been somewhat cut Down in the last 2 years, so people is more afraid now for getting unimployed with "only" 2 years security instead of previously 4 years security.
    So thats why I will have to pay my tax with a smile.. (and better buy a Df to support the hospitals etc. better than with a D610... )
    thorkil
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Splendid attitude Thorkil, same here: but I don't think it's taxes (here at least), but Nikon making lots of extra dosh, which isn't quite the same thing.
    Hey Ho!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

just checking prices:
    D800 £1962 ($3139) B&H $2765
    Df +50 1.8 £2749 ($4400) B&H $2996
    Where is the sense in that? It's nothing to do with taxes Thorkil, just to do with price gouging.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Splendid attitude Thorkil, same here: but I don't think it's taxes (here at least), but Nikon making lots of extra dosh, which isn't quite the same thing.
    Hey Ho!
    ...yes I do think you are right in some way, it has something to do with (wrong or right-) market strategy...but, looking to the right, on the shelf, there is my old Nikon 28TI, which was claimed uncontinued because it was too expensive to produce, but wonderful to look at. I think all those buttons and Wheels are expensive to produce too, and perhaps they are psysically not able to produce millions and millions a year. So therefore they had to set the Price, so that they realistic could catch up production wise, together with, that it might be expensive to produce compared with more normal “pure” electronic cameradevices (+ the fact it has the D4 sensor).
    But for my part I have "calmed down" from what I previously also thought was an insulting high pricelevel, and accepted the high price, in a way. For me, now, it’s a matter if I think I can afford it. But if it is able to just make me, let’s say 10-25% happier going out shooting(than a D610), then it will be a great Investment. The D800E did not "talk" to me, we didn't even get half-way friends, the D3 had a lot of forgiveness, extremely efficient, "talked" more to me, but was way too bulky. I'll have to go and try the Df in some days when I have finished my heavy working...(or one should wait for spring-time)
    thorkil

Post Thanks / Like

just checking prices:
    Df +50 1.8 £2749 ($4400) B&H $2996

Jono

I know you can make a Nikon sing....you would love this camera.

These are from the Df...and I have not put it on a tripod yet...all handheld.

Nikon Df 50 1.8 Kit Lens

Aero and Smithy

Aeromotor 1

Wheels Redux

Bob
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Weather typical Texas 80 degrees F 2 days ago ... 6 inches of granular ice last night with a 50 degree drop....

Nikon Df Nikon 105 F2 DC

Birdhouse Ice

Oak After the Storm

So Christmas is coming....Gingerman and Stuff

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

12,800 appears unexpectedly very usable, at least based on 100% review on cam . Seems a wow. Only on cell phone now, but just have to say really impressed with this cam so far, significantly better than expected!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

In the shadows with the Df

Light and dark with the Df
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The price of the Df is slightly cheaper here in Japan, about 2500$ for the body (still 500$ too much if you ask me).
    Anyway, I was very interested in this camera and played with it in different local camera shops as I really wanted to like it. The D4 sensor is great and the file size is perfect, also the VF seems a little better than the one in my d800 (it probably is just placebo effect though) the shutter is much quieter than the d800 and the sound of it is very pleasant.

but...

I just couldn't get around the fact how uncomfortable it felt in my hand...
    The grip is too short and too narrow for my hand and I knew it would be very difficult for me to use it for longer periods of shooting.
    To give you and idea it is a little shorter than the d600 which was on a border for my liking, the d7100 is perfect for me so is the d800 (if it wasn't for the weight).

I guess what I'm tying to say is make sure you play with and see how it fits your hand one before ordering it on line.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nandemofoto View Post
    The price of the Df is slightly cheaper here in Japan, about 2500$ for the body
    but...

I just couldn't get around the fact how uncomfortable it felt in my hand...
    The grip is too short and too narrow for my hand and I knew it would be very difficult for me to use it for longer periods of shooting.
    I agree that the camera is a mixed bag...good and not so....

My main concern is the marginal battery/SD slot and the mechanism to open it...
    reminds me of my 1976 SAAB 96 ... could they make it seem any less robust?

Truth be told I am very rigorously careful with my cameras and think this is not a major issue...

So for me D4 chip trumps a lot of minor issues...

Optical VF :No EVF is a major deal. Live view there if you need it.

And complaining about a camera at less than 50% of the D4 price makes me wonder if one has looked at the alternatives....

Bob