The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Teleconverters with the 200 f2

M

mjr

Evening!

In anticipation of receiving my 200 f2, hopefully tomorrow, I've been looking at whether it's worth investing in a couple of teleconverters in order to maximise the use of the 200.

I've read a few articles but anyone here got real world opinions on the combination? Are the Nikon converters the ones to have?

Many thanks

Mat

wjlapier

I use the 1.4x TC from Nikon. I used to have the current version 2x TC and it worked fine. Images were sharp enough, but I didn't use so I sold it. I still have the 1.4x TC. The 200/2 AFS takes TC's very well.

M

mjr

Hi Wjlapier, thanks for passing on your experience, if it works well then I may be tempted to get a couple, it is worth making the most of the lens as I am unlikely to buy anything longer.

Cheers

Mat

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Congratulations! In my opinion the 200mm f/2 is one of the best Nikon lenses. Other lenses come and go but I've always kept this one.
Absolutely the TC-14E II Teleconverter. The x1.7 and 2.0 are OK but not great.
Pramote

M

mjr

Bugger, I just bought the x2! I was told that the new version is greatly improved and works well with the 200, I will pick up the 1.4 as well on your recommendations.

Cheers

Mat

M

mjr

Hi Stan

I'm hoping to have a weekend of playing with everything, we have very little daylight here now, only a few hours a day so hopefully I will get some useful shots, who knows! I am interested to see how the Zeiss 135 f2 works on the teleconverter too.

Cheers

Mat

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The 200/2 is one of the few lenses that works well with all three of the teleconverters. Just about everything works well with the 1.4x. Even the older 2x worked pretty well with the 200/2 and that was a rarity.

D&A

The 200/2 is one of the few lenses that works well with all three of the teleconverters. Just about everything works well with the 1.4x. Even the older 2x worked pretty well with the 200/2 and that was a rarity.
Completely agree! The 200 f2 was a constant companion of mine for a number of seasons and could be reliably used with all three current Nikon teleconverters with confidence. As much as I generally avoided using a 2x converter, even the latest revised 2x from Nikon (as good as it is with a select number of lenses), this latest 2x was a notable performer on the 200 f2 and was definitely a competitive match for the Nikon 200-400 when used at 400mm (especially at longer subject distances).

Dave (D&A)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I think Dave and I have stated many times here about the seductive appeal of the 200/2. You'll drool after it, find a way to get one, love it, find it less used than you'd want, see something else expensive that you want and the under used 200/2 will seem like easily realizable cash to get it.

Then you'll repeat the cycle or lament ever selling it. It's a lens that should have a mandatory moratorium on selling because I know almost nobody who has sold who hasn't wanted it back again at some point later. Me included. I've had three. I know some who've had more ... :eek:

carstenw

I must be the one exception then :) I had one, really liked it, but found the shape odd for hand-holding, and the hood was huge. It didn't fit well in any compact bags I had, so it was always an event to bring it. I replaced it with the Leica 180/2 converted to Nikon. This lens isn't quite as sharp, but almost, and the boke isn't quite as blurred, but almost, but I prefer everything else about it. Size, shape, weight, rendering, built-in sliding hood, and so on.

I still have the latest 1.4TC, but need to dremel off the little tab which stops me from using it on the Leica.

M

mjr

Thanks for the info all, the 200 arrived this afternoon but it was already dark so planning to give it a go tomorrow, it focuses extremely quickly in the house! I've had to program a -16 on the focus calibration whatsit, now it's spot on. I got an excellent deal on a barely used mark 1 version of the lens, I can honestly say the lens, shade, cover and bag are all completely unmarked, fantastic!

Mat

D&A

I think Dave and I have stated many times here about the seductive appeal of the 200/2. You'll drool after it, find a way to get one, love it, find it less used than you'd want, see something else expensive that you want and the under used 200/2 will seem like easily realizable cash to get it.

Then you'll repeat the cycle or lament ever selling it. It's a lens that should have a mandatory moratorium on selling because I know almost nobody who has sold who hasn't wanted it back again at some point later. Me included. I've had three. I know some who've had more ... :eek:
I wish I could add something substantial to Grahams's comments but I can't...well said! The 200 f2 is a dense, relatively heavy lens, which optically begs to be taken on an outing. Many though soon find though that its not the kind of lens one generally associates with throwing into a bag with a few other lenses on a days outing, as they might with a 70-200 f2.8 or a 180 f2.8...and that is where I believe the trouble lies. It excells when used for specific applications and taken along with knowledge of specifically using it this way. Much like one would do with a 300 f2.8 lens.

Dave (D&A)

M

mjr

Gents

I need some advice regarding the 200, I haven't used a lens with VR or with autofocus for a long while and whilst I'm waiting for my new RRS foot to arrive, I'm using this hand held.

I'm getting some images which appear to be doubled, like edges within the shot are duplicated. I think it's called ghosting or something. Is this down to technique? Am I not using the VR properly? If I want to take a shot quickly, am I better turning VR off and just upping the ISO/shutter speed? I'm getting it on random shots both fast and slow shutter speed.

Any advice? Obviously I'm not likely to have as much of an issue when it's on the tripod but as I'm using it hand held, I'd like to get it right.

Many thanks!

Mat

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Mat sounds immediately like camera blur. Increase shutter speed and ISO if you need to given light conditions. Also I used that lens a lot but I was on a monopod most of the time and I would turn VR off. Im not a fan of VR as I believe it leads some folks into false hopes for success. You still need shutter speed especially with a lens of that size and weight. BTW by F4 your not going to get any sharper at any aperture and actually at 2.8 the thing is just outstanding. F2 is even amazing but by F4 its the sharpest and anything down is just a DOF thing.

M

mjr

Thanks Guy, appreciated. I'm just playing with it to get comfortable at the moment, the images that are sharp are fantastic! I think having the 135 f2 plus the 200 f2 means my bokeh needs are fully covered! I don't like the VR thing chattering away so I think I'll take your advice and switch it off, I'm happy to boost the speed a bit to compensate.

My RRS foot is now in the country so I hope that in a couple of days I'll be on the tripod with it.

This is a quick grab from earlier today, not great by any means but this is at f2 and I also took it at f5.6 and it is really nice! The sun here is very low and only up for a couple of hours a day, this is right on the Arctic Circle so the sun is a fantastic deep yellow.

Thanks again for your advice.

Mat

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
My pleasure Mat and Yes I agree the Zeiss 135 F2 and the 200 F2 are some of the best around in these focal lengths. I want to get the 200mm back in my arsenal for sure. I think its Nikons best lens ever made.