The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

From Haselblad to Nikon

Hulyss Bowman

This is interesting. But I fail to understand the transition to achieve the same look/possibility.

The D800 is not a MF, even thought it have load of pixels.

A transition back to film would have been more accurate and somehow more "efficient" IQ wise. Today E6 is not that expensive (less that 100$ for 5 Litters) and film do have, again, a very vast DR. Once scanned PP is also very flexible, especially with Ektar 100. Let say that with film, colour are far more accurate (IMHO).

So about the weight, Mamyia 7ii or Voight 667 are not that heavy, at all, and will always produce files vastly superior to the D800.

M

mjr

Maybe he likes the D800 files better Hulyss!

Jeff, I just tried now, camera on MUP, press remote to raise mirror, press again when ready to take the shot, the only issue being that after 30 seconds it still wants to take a shot if you haven't. Looking at the D800 menu, it doesn't appear that you can change that 30 second limit.

My suggestion would be to compose, switch to live view which raises the mirror anyway and then use a remote to trigger whenever you want, the downside being heat generated by having the sensor on all the time and also reduction in battery life, I'm not sure where you are but here it's bloody cold so I have less issues with heat but lower battery life due to the cold anyway.

I'd definitely recommend this Giga T pro II thing although I'm sure there are loads more out there, you can do all sorts of programming with it, time release, bulb, anything really. I had problems with it when I first bought it, the hand held transmitter was programmed to turn itself off after 1 minute which was rubbish, I'd wait for the exact moment I wanted to take the shot and the bloody transmitter would have turned itself off! I wrote to Hahnel and told them it was ruining an otherwise great product, they sent me out free of charge a new transmitter which only turns itself off after an hour, much much better and solved any issues I had, I now use it all the time on the tripod.

Mat

Dustbak

Mirror-up is really one of the things that is a disappointment after using a HB. How long have we Nikon users been asking for a way to just flip up the mirror.

Not the freaking funky way of pressing once to raise the mirror, again for taking a shot and having the mirror come down again just to repeat the same sequence for next shots. 1 button, Mirror-up. That is it. Press it again and the mirror comes down again. How hard can it be?

I think Nikonians have been asking for this for ages.

I use both the D800 as well as various HB bodies but I can relate to Jeffs experience with Nikons mirror up implementation.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I remember in the old days a mechanical lever. Which to me was the best implantation of mirror lockup. Why they ever changed that I have no idea.

Jeffg53

I'd definitely recommend this Giga T pro II thing although I'm sure there are loads more out there, you can do all sorts of programming with it, time release, bulb, anything really. I had problems with it when I first bought it, the hand held transmitter was programmed to turn itself off after 1 minute which was rubbish, I'd wait for the exact moment I wanted to take the shot and the bloody transmitter would have turned itself off! I wrote to Hahnel and told them it was ruining an otherwise great product, they sent me out free of charge a new transmitter which only turns itself off after an hour, much much better and solved any issues I had, I now use it all the time on the tripod.

Mat
Mat, I would have trouble mounting the Giga T as I already have a Nikon GPS sitting in the hotshoe. My simple Hahnel release plugs into the side of the GPS.

As for temperature, we are in Summer, so temperatures in the mid-twenties are the norm.

Jeffg53

Thanks folks, it looks like liveview or setting a one second delay will both do the job. I'm inclined to go for the delay as I can happily live with that but having liveview on would be a PITA, particularly in low light.

It never occurred to me that mirror up would be something that I would miss on teh Hasselblad.

M

mjr

Hi Jeff

Glad you're getting closer to a solution, if it were me I'd tape the gps to the tripod or something, I'd much rather have priority to the piece of equipment that will actually allow me to take a shot rather than recording the location of where I missed it, ha!

A 1 second delay will work I suppose but you won't get that spilt second shot should you need to. I'm sure you'll soon get your setup just right for what you're doing.

Just as an aside, have you tested the effects of mirror slap when using the Leica 19? I've done lots with all my lenses, there's a real effect on longer lenses but I have a Zeiss 21mm that I use a lot and I can honestly see no difference between a shot with mup and just a straight release from the remote. I think the tripod plays a big part. Just saying because with the wide angle it's possible you son't need the hassle, the mirror is knowhere near the size of the one on the Hasselblad.

Mat

Jeffg53

Thanks Mat. My 19 is still being modified so I can't try it yet. I don't use wides much but I'll try it out when I get it back. I'm a creature of habit, always using mirror up etc. I'll probably forget when I get it out anyway.