Site Sponsors

Thread: From Haselblad to Nikon

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

From Haselblad to Nikon

I have just about completed my transition from Hasselblad to a D800E. Many thanks to all the generous folks here who offered advice along the way. I have penned a piece on my web site describing the transition if you are interested.

Lightening the load - from medium format to DSLR
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    www.jeff-grant.com
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: From Haselblad to Nikon

Interesting article Jeff,one question I have to ask is why not use live view to focus?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Force of habit, really, I'm quite happy using the viewfinder. It took me a bit of practice to get the hang of it.

Is liveview better?
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    www.jeff-grant.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffg53 View Post
    Force of habit, really, I'm quite happy using the viewfinder. It took me a bit of practice to get the hang of it.

Is liveview better?
    Jeff,it's the biggest advantage of cmos (along with long exposure and high iso performance),you should definitely give it a shot,you'll be surprised how effective it is. (bear in mind that the D800's implementation of live view is not the best,Canon's is better)

You can focus at the aperture your shooting at,it will be interesting to hear how you get on..

Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Rob, focusing at the shooting aperture would be a great improvement. I'll give it a go.

If I remember correctly, I read somewhere that the D800 liveview was not well regarded. It's also something that I'm not used to with the CCD on the Hasselblad.
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    www.jeff-grant.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Rob, focusing at the shooting aperture would be a great improvement. I'll give it a go.

If I remember correctly, I read somewhere that the D800 liveview was not well regarded. It's also something that I'm not used to with the CCD on the Hasselblad.
    Canon has exposure simulation,nikon doesn't but in daylight the D800 live view will be good enough,looking forward to hearing about your experience with it..

p.s dont forget to use the magnification,at 5x or 10x its really helpful for achieving critical sharpness..

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, interesting read, I have come from an Alpa with Phase 1 to a D800 system and find I use it almost like a technical camera. I tend to compose in the viewfinder, tripod mounted of course, then switch to live view, zoom in to confirm focus and take the shot. Obviously that works for the style of pictures I take and may not work for you but I find it really straight forward. Like you I have mainly manual focus lenses, I have no problem focusing the Zeiss 135 f2 manually, very rarely am I off when I check in live view.

It's a great system for what I want and sounds like it is for you too, have a play with live view as RVB suggests it's just another tool but I find that once I had tried it I liked it!

Mat

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Mat and Rob, I'll try liveview and report back. It's funny coming back from MF to the Nikon. I retain the discipline that the Hasselblad forced which I think produces better results than i would otherwise get with the D800.

I'm delighted to get the feedback. I didn't expect to get it when I posted my piece. I really wanted to document what I had done in the hope that it may help anyone else undertaking the same transition. It's been quite a voyage of discovery.
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    www.jeff-grant.com

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What you can do and I setup my cam to give me a 100 percent view with the center button when in live view and on playback. Really handy to just hit the center button and it goes right to 100 percent view for focusing. I also setup playback to do the exact same thing. Hit center button to pixel peek.

Now remembering how I set that up is a brain fart at the moment. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Btw the Zeiss 135 f2 is pretty easy to focus I have found as well. Maybe my favorite lens on the D800e along with my Leica 19mm. My three favorite lenses are the Z 135, Leica 19 and the Sigma 35mm 1.4. Also the Zeiss 25 f2 which I need to buy back.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    What you can do and I setup my cam to give me a 100 percent view with the center button when in live view and on playback. Really handy to just hit the center button and it goes right to 100 percent view for focusing. I also setup playback to do the exact same thing. Hit center button to pixel peek.

Now remembering how I set that up is a brain fart at the moment. LOL
    Good idea!
    When you remember please let me know. I can't seem to find this out in my setup.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grappa View Post
    Good idea!
    When you remember please let me know. I can't seem to find this out in my setup.

Thanks.
    Go to custom setting menu>F controls>F2 multi selector centre button >Live View and set it how you want it from there...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Done, thanks Now to try it out.
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    www.jeff-grant.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I am using a 3.2" Hoodman loupe with liveview, attached to the LCD via a bottom plate and attached to a tripod. Works very well for me.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RVB View Post
    Jeff,it's the biggest advantage of cmos (along with long exposure and high iso performance),you should definitely give it a shot,you'll be surprised how effective it is. (bear in mind that the D800's implementation of live view is not the best,Canon's is better)

You can focus at the aperture your shooting at,it will be interesting to hear how you get on..

Rob
    I've just been trying out liveview. If I stop down, the screen goes dark, by f/11 it's black cats in a coal mine at midnight. Am I missing something?
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    www.jeff-grant.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've been fiddling around with liveview and I have a few issues. With the Hoodman 3.2" loupe that I have, I get light around the edges as it is not an exact fit. Probably not an issue at times but it's pretty bright outside. Is there one with a better fit?

I might be picking bad subjects but the 100% view is pretty blurry, but it does seem to confirm that my viewfinder focus is spot on.

It's probably me being dense but liveview is making the viewfinder look good.
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    www.jeff-grant.com

Post Thanks / Like

I've just been trying out liveview. If I stop down, the screen goes dark, by f/11 it's black cats in a coal mine at midnight. Am I missing something?
    Jeff,have you tried in in Aperture priority?just tried mine at f11 in AV and its bright and clear and that's on a rather dark morning.. in manual it will look dark if you haven't yet corrected the exposure settings..

Rob

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, it's a what you see is what you get type of thing, if you're in manual and haven't yet set the correct shutter speed then it will appear under or over exposed depending on where you are on your shutter speed. My live view when zoomed right in is very clear with what is in focus and what is not, it's not perfect by any means but shouldn't be blurry unless it is out of focus of course!

I've never used a loupe so can't comment, good luck with your experiments!

Mat

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Rob and Mat, I'm in aperture priority but the Leica lenses are completely manual. The D800E thinks that I'm at 2.8 always. I just tried it on the Zeiss and it's great. I see what you mean.

I wonder if chipping the Leica lenses would fix that.

As an aside, I have just been out to try out the 28-90. Looking at the files, I would not be able to tell them from an H file. The detail is fantastic. This lens probably cost me about 4 times the price of the Nikon equivalent by the time I had the conversion done.
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    www.jeff-grant.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Leica lenses will be in stop down mode chipped or not. Chipped is only for EXIF data and lens used but not aperture. You need to open to 2.8 focus than stop down to working aperture unless you can see okay at working. Lens will always show 2.8 as well on camera. The 28-90 is a excellent lens. I have the Leica 19mm with a Leitax mount. Like to grab a Leica 28mm R latest model.
    Last edited by Guy Mancuso; 2nd December 2013 at 06:51.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Guy. I can live with that.
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    www.jeff-grant.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For the quality we are getting so can I.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for tips. Now I have my center button set up. Did not know this.
    ACH

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes it makes it much more efficient when your shooting and using playback. I also setup along with Jack two different shooting modes regular operation than one called landscape which locks up mirror, sets a delay of 3 seconds and that works really nice with live view as well. Whats nice is I hit the info button twice and can change that on the fly between the two modes of operations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

On the subject of mirror lockup, I have discovered two methods but not what I want. What I would like is to be able to have the mirror up, and then shoot when I want. Timing wave action is the challenge. As I understand it, I can use mirror up mode but it will take a shot about thirty seconds after you press the shutter, if you don't do so before. The other way is to set it to raise the mirror, wait two seconds and then shoot. As far as I can see, it's not possible to raise the mirror and then shoot when I want.
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    www.jeff-grant.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don't set a delay

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am using exposure delay mode which can only be 1, 2 or 3 seconds. How do I not set a delay?
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    www.jeff-grant.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'll have to look into it Jeff but it maybe like you say.

I rarely read these manuals. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff, I have a Hahnel Giga T Pro II wireless remote which is very good, I compose, press for mirror up and then can press again to take a shot whenever I want, to be honest I've never left it as long as 30 seconds so I have no idea if the shutter will fire on its own at that point. Might be worth a look, they're very good for the price.

Mat

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mat, if you are in mirror up mode, it will fire after 30 seconds. Are you doing something different?

My problem is that, with seascapes, I time my exposure for the incoming waves. There is a world of difference between good waves and bad, so I can sometimes wait minutes for the right sequence.

With a Hasselblad, both film and digital, you can put the mirror up and wait. I'd like to be able to do that with the Nikon. I can live with a delay but I'd really prefer the same control as the H.
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    www.jeff-grant.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

What happens in live view when you shoot? Does that work for you?
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like

What the remote does is allow you to fire when you want, 1 press to lock up and 1 press to take the shot. I was photographing some swans the other day, I set up and as they looked like they were getting ready to move I pressed once and locked up mirror, then as they came towards me I triggered the shot. Once you're using the remote you are overriding the camera, like I said though, not sure what happens after 30 seconds, I'll try it this morning.

As Carsten says, if you're in live view the mirror is up, not sure if that works for you but you can trigger your shot anytime, you'd still either need a remote or have a delay on the shutter press. Hope that makes sense!

Mat

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff, what are you using at the moment to release the shutter?

Mat

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Carsten and Mat, liveview works but I'm hoping to improve on that. I'm currently using a cheapo Hahnel release but would happily buy another if it gives me control of mirror up
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    www.jeff-grant.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mat, I just downloaded the manual and can't find any mention of mirror up. How do you do it?
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    www.jeff-grant.com

Post Thanks / Like

Mat, if you are in mirror up mode, it will fire after 30 seconds. Are you doing something different?

My problem is that, with seascapes, I time my exposure for the incoming waves. There is a world of difference between good waves and bad, so I can sometimes wait minutes for the right sequence.

With a Hasselblad, both film and digital, you can put the mirror up and wait. I'd like to be able to do that with the Nikon. I can live with a delay but I'd really prefer the same control as the H.
    Jeff,are you sure it's set to MUP and not timer? If i focus mine and then flip up the mirror I can shoot at any point with no delay..

Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mat I've tried mirror up and shooting delay only. Neither of those let's me control it as I want.
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    www.jeff-grant.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

From Hasselblad to Nikon

Jeff, when I had my D800E (unfortunately stolen by a burglar) I wrote these suggestions about captures without camera shake:

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/nikon/36...tml#post404121 see post # 5

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/nikon/37...tml#post422397 see post # 7 (same story as the above)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

From Hasselblad to Nikon

And about e.g. a three captures sequence with exposure bracketing and the mirror staying up, for High Dynamic Range images:

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/nikon/42...tml#post479269 see post # 12

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/nikon/44...tml#post493020 see post # 6 (same story as the above)

Maybe some of these combinations can be of at least some inspiration for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff, if you set the shooting mode control dial round to MUP then first press of the shutter raises is, second press of the shutter takes the shot. You can use the remote to trigger both of these shutter presses, no problem. At the moment you are pressing once, mirror raises and then after 30 seconds takes a shot, you're just missing pressing the shutter a second time.

I'll just try now and see if there is still the same 30 second limit with the remote.

Mat

Post Thanks / Like

This is interesting. But I fail to understand the transition to achieve the same look/possibility.

The D800 is not a MF, even thought it have load of pixels.

A transition back to film would have been more accurate and somehow more "efficient" IQ wise. Today E6 is not that expensive (less that 100$ for 5 Litters) and film do have, again, a very vast DR. Once scanned PP is also very flexible, especially with Ektar 100. Let say that with film, colour are far more accurate (IMHO).

So about the weight, Mamyia 7ii or Voight 667 are not that heavy, at all, and will always produce files vastly superior to the D800.
    Kind regards - Hulyss - hulyssbowman.com

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe he likes the D800 files better Hulyss!

Jeff, I just tried now, camera on MUP, press remote to raise mirror, press again when ready to take the shot, the only issue being that after 30 seconds it still wants to take a shot if you haven't. Looking at the D800 menu, it doesn't appear that you can change that 30 second limit.

My suggestion would be to compose, switch to live view which raises the mirror anyway and then use a remote to trigger whenever you want, the downside being heat generated by having the sensor on all the time and also reduction in battery life, I'm not sure where you are but here it's bloody cold so I have less issues with heat but lower battery life due to the cold anyway.

I'd definitely recommend this Giga T pro II thing although I'm sure there are loads more out there, you can do all sorts of programming with it, time release, bulb, anything really. I had problems with it when I first bought it, the hand held transmitter was programmed to turn itself off after 1 minute which was rubbish, I'd wait for the exact moment I wanted to take the shot and the bloody transmitter would have turned itself off! I wrote to Hahnel and told them it was ruining an otherwise great product, they sent me out free of charge a new transmitter which only turns itself off after an hour, much much better and solved any issues I had, I now use it all the time on the tripod.

Mat

Post Thanks / Like

Mirror-up is really one of the things that is a disappointment after using a HB. How long have we Nikon users been asking for a way to just flip up the mirror.

Not the freaking funky way of pressing once to raise the mirror, again for taking a shot and having the mirror come down again just to repeat the same sequence for next shots. 1 button, Mirror-up. That is it. Press it again and the mirror comes down again. How hard can it be?

I think Nikonians have been asking for this for ages.

I use both the D800 as well as various HB bodies but I can relate to Jeffs experience with Nikons mirror up implementation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I remember in the old days a mechanical lever. Which to me was the best implantation of mirror lockup. Why they ever changed that I have no idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mjr View Post

I'd definitely recommend this Giga T pro II thing although I'm sure there are loads more out there, you can do all sorts of programming with it, time release, bulb, anything really. I had problems with it when I first bought it, the hand held transmitter was programmed to turn itself off after 1 minute which was rubbish, I'd wait for the exact moment I wanted to take the shot and the bloody transmitter would have turned itself off! I wrote to Hahnel and told them it was ruining an otherwise great product, they sent me out free of charge a new transmitter which only turns itself off after an hour, much much better and solved any issues I had, I now use it all the time on the tripod.

Mat
    Mat, I would have trouble mounting the Giga T as I already have a Nikon GPS sitting in the hotshoe. My simple Hahnel release plugs into the side of the GPS.

As for temperature, we are in Summer, so temperatures in the mid-twenties are the norm.
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    www.jeff-grant.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks folks, it looks like liveview or setting a one second delay will both do the job. I'm inclined to go for the delay as I can happily live with that but having liveview on would be a PITA, particularly in low light.

It never occurred to me that mirror up would be something that I would miss on teh Hasselblad.
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    www.jeff-grant.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jeff

Glad you're getting closer to a solution, if it were me I'd tape the gps to the tripod or something, I'd much rather have priority to the piece of equipment that will actually allow me to take a shot rather than recording the location of where I missed it, ha!

A 1 second delay will work I suppose but you won't get that spilt second shot should you need to. I'm sure you'll soon get your setup just right for what you're doing.

Just as an aside, have you tested the effects of mirror slap when using the Leica 19? I've done lots with all my lenses, there's a real effect on longer lenses but I have a Zeiss 21mm that I use a lot and I can honestly see no difference between a shot with mup and just a straight release from the remote. I think the tripod plays a big part. Just saying because with the wide angle it's possible you son't need the hassle, the mirror is knowhere near the size of the one on the Hasselblad.

Mat

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Mat. My 19 is still being modified so I can't try it yet. I don't use wides much but I'll try it out when I get it back. I'm a creature of habit, always using mirror up etc. I'll probably forget when I get it out anyway.
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    www.jeff-grant.com