Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Monochrome D800

  1. #1
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

  2. #2
    Sr. Administrator Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    10,486
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1031

    Re: Monochrome D800

    Lloyd is a friend, but I'm gonna say this anyway -- if you're going to "test" a modified camera, then post identical example images from the same model camera not converted so we can compare them directly. It's the only way for me to know if the cost of conversion is worth it.

    I suspect we'll see a net gain in accutance that is equivalent to roughly 20% more pixels over a Bayer D800E. But then we loose the ability to do creative color filtration after-the-fact in post, and must make any filtering decisions at the time of capture. This latter is really the deal breaker for me on a monochrome camera for landscape work, since often minor tweaks to color response can have a large effect on the mood of the image. But for applications where desired filtration is going to be relatively well established for the subject matter from the outset, like Street, Portraiture or Studio, I can see there might be some benefit.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

    "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  3. #3
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Monochrome D800

    Fair comments, Jack.

    I can see the enthusiasm in getting a 36MP monochrome in a great platform and the quick announcement. As indicated in the blog, one major headache is how to handle the RGB output as a true monochrome output (though hardware wise it is a true monochrome output). I will wait to see how this transpires.

  4. #4
    Senior Member RVB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    807
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Monochrome D800

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Lloyd is a friend, but I'm gonna say this anyway -- if you're going to "test" a modified camera, then post identical example images from the same model camera not converted so we can compare them directly. It's the only way for me to know if the cost of conversion is worth it.

    I suspect we'll see a net gain in accutance that is equivalent to roughly 20% more pixels over a Bayer D800E. But then we loose the ability to do creative color filtration after-the-fact in post, and must make any filtering decisions at the time of capture. This latter is really the deal breaker for me on a monochrome camera for landscape work, since often minor tweaks to color response can have a large effect on the mood of the image. But for applications where desired filtration is going to be relatively well established for the subject matter from the outset, like Street, Portraiture or Studio, I can see there might be some benefit.
    Jack,there is no actual conversion cost,you can only buy the camera as complete product for $6500,you can't send in your own D800 for conversion..

    Rob

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    North Sweden
    Posts
    1,401
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Monochrome D800

    I'm not sure I see the point, the MM feels to me like it has heritage in the entire package, not sure why I feel that but it seems that for people who are in to Leica, it is just part of the whole thing.

    The D800 to me is just a tool, a very good one but not the same thing at all. Buying a monochrome D800 doesn't really make sense to me, especially at that price. But then I would never buy an MM either.

    I actually convert quite a lot of shots to black and white and have never felt that there's anything missing from the D800 files.

    Horses for courses, I'm sure some will buy it just because it's there, nothing wrong with that.

    Mat

  6. #6
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Monochrome D800

    Quote Originally Posted by mjr View Post
    I'm not sure I see the point, the MM feels to me like it has heritage in the entire package, not sure why I feel that but it seems that for people who are in to Leica, it is just part of the whole thing.

    The D800 to me is just a tool, a very good one but not the same thing at all. Buying a monochrome D800 doesn't really make sense to me, especially at that price. But then I would never buy an MM either.

    I actually convert quite a lot of shots to black and white and have never felt that there's anything missing from the D800 files.

    Horses for courses, I'm sure some will buy it just because it's there, nothing wrong with that.

    Mat
    What do you think about the Achromatic back? Is that a tool or an ornament?

  7. #7
    Sr. Administrator Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    10,486
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1031

    Re: Monochrome D800

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    What do you think about the Achromatic back? Is that a tool or an ornament?
    It's clearly a tool. But a very expensive tool unless you have a specific application for it. Keep in mind, it is also full spectrum. And you can get the MaxMax D800 in FS, and if you have a specific application then it may make sense too

    However, if all you're after is higher resolution monochrome, I'm not sure the juice is worth the squeeze with either. But then that's me...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

    "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    North Sweden
    Posts
    1,401
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Monochrome D800

    I don't think anything about it, it's just a tool as well.

  9. #9
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Monochrome D800

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    It's clearly a tool. But a very expensive tool unless you have a specific application for it. Keep in mind, it is also full spectrum. And you can get the MaxMax D800 in FS, and if you have a specific application then it may make sense too

    However, if all you're after is higher resolution monochrome, I'm not sure the juice is worth the squeeze with either. But then that's me...
    Very true! Especially the last line! A lot of Leica folks, since the APO Summicron 50/2 was announced together with the Leica MM thought (actually believed) that it needed such special high resolution lens. Many users have since found out that old beat up lenses do much better, pictorially as well as clarity wise on the MM.

    About the "Full Spectrum" conversion: It is not very useful without the exclusive use of live view. That is why the mirrorless cams have an edge there over the DSLRs.

    FWIW, the first Sony sensor that Dan (MaxMax) converted successfully to monochrome is a NEX-5N (mine).

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    333
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Monochrome D800

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I suspect we'll see a net gain in accutance that is equivalent to roughly 20% more pixels over a Bayer D800E.
    And this works out to about a 9% linear increase.

  11. #11
    Sr. Administrator Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    10,486
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1031

    Re: Monochrome D800

    Quote Originally Posted by paulraphael View Post
    And this works out to about a 9% linear increase.
    Exactly, you get my point
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

    "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •