The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon kit Stolen

dogstarnyc

Hi,

Just wanted people to be aware, I had my bag nicked in Paris on Friday, it contained the following:
Nikon D800E serial 6015815
24mm 2.8 AFD serial 474695
50mm 1.8 AD-S serial 2293798
85mm 1.8 AF-S serial 212874
Sigma 150mm Macro AFD serial TBA

All in a Lowepro Verex 200 AW backpack with Benbo tripod and Manfrotto 498 RC4 head.

If it gets offered to you let me know but note that the serials are registered with Nikon across all of Europe, plus the Paris and London police.

I have to say Nikon have been great, and they have very quickly passed this data around Europe, very impressed.

If a deal looks too good to be true... it is...

S

dogstarnyc

Thx for the link.....
However, karma played a hand and yesterday th Paris police contacted me, they have my bag, with what looks like all my kit....!

I'm off to collect it next week.

:)

Steve

dogstarnyc

Hi Rodger,

More than happy to share the gory details.
I was shooting fashion for 2 days both in a studio and outside on a typical street etc and no problems whatsoever.

I had arrange to meet a local friend last Friday and she suggested the Sacre Coeur, I agreed reluctantly thinking I could shoot some shots of the steps around there for my own use.

Outside the Sacre Coeur in daylight my bag was lifted in front of me as I sat down on a step to chat to my friend, it was out of my grip for less than a minute, then gone, I saw nothing.

After living in Rio and NYC for long periods of time you quickly notice dodgy people looking to relieve you of your possessions, my friend a Brazilian, and I saw no one except the chatty African guys happy to sell you a trinket and lift what they can when an opportunity arises.

We came to the conclusion that this was a well co ordinated set up, the police later confirmed this. There was a spate of thefts over several days, a 5-8 person gang, dressed like middle class tourists, blending in. Walking around seemingly taking pics on smart phones just like everyone else.

Speaking to another 'victim' down at the precinct he was in McDonalds coat over arm waiting for his tray, it arrived, he put his coat down, turned 90 degrees to pick up his tray, turned back and gone...!

We worked it out, 4 man operation, first guy lifts the coat, drops it immediately into an open bag held by the guy behind our victim, he quickly passes it to his right while the first guy blocks our victims vision to said 3rd guy. 4th guy receives bag from 3rd guy and heads to exit on left side. Coat has left the building whilst victim is still twisting round looking for it on the floor. At least one of the gang was female, probably accompanied by at least one child...

Similar thing on the Sacre Coeur.

My French is rusty but a big part of my getting lucky was because this team were acting fast and the Paris Police had intel on them were able to arrest them at their base with van loads of spoils, as for me, they just opened my bag, saw my business card and emailed me.

More news if I get any,

Hope this long winded reply helps.

Steve

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Hi Rodger,

More than happy to share the gory details.
I was shooting fashion for 2 days both in a studio and outside on a typical street etc and no problems whatsoever.

I had arrange to meet a local friend last Friday and she suggested the Sacre Coeur, I agreed reluctantly thinking I could shoot some shots of the steps around there for my own use.

Outside the Sacre Coeur in daylight my bag was lifted in front of me as I sat down on a step to chat to my friend, it was out of my grip for less than a minute, then gone, I saw nothing.

After living in Rio and NYC for long periods of time you quickly notice dodgy people looking to relieve you of your possessions, my friend a Brazilian, and I saw no one except the chatty African guys happy to sell you a trinket and lift what they can when an opportunity arises.

We came to the conclusion that this was a well co ordinated set up, the police later confirmed this. There was a spate of thefts over several days, a 5-8 person gang, dressed like middle class tourists, blending in. Walking around seemingly taking pics on smart phones just like everyone else.

Speaking to another 'victim' down at the precinct he was in McDonalds coat over arm waiting for his tray, it arrived, he put his coat down, turned 90 degrees to pick up his tray, turned back and gone...!

We worked it out, 4 man operation, first guy lifts the coat, drops it immediately into an open bag held by the guy behind our victim, he quickly passes it to his right while the first guy blocks our victims vision to said 3rd guy. 4th guy receives bag from 3rd guy and heads to exit on left side. Coat has left the building whilst victim is still twisting round looking for it on the floor. At least one of the gang was female, probably accompanied by at least one child...

Similar thing on the Sacre Coeur.

My French is rusty but a big part of my getting lucky was because this team were acting fast and the Paris Police had intel on them were able to arrest them at their base with van loads of spoils, as for me, they just opened my bag, saw my business card and emailed me.

More news if I get any,

Hope this long winded reply helps.

Steve
Yikes ...I was planning to go there tomorrow afternoon ! I will be careful .

robsteve

Subscriber
Yikes ...I was planning to go there tomorrow afternoon ! I will be careful .
Roger:

We rented an apartment near there about ten years ago and I don't think you will have a problem as long as you don't leave anything at easy reach.

Our Apartment was on Rue Cannettes, which was in an area with some pubs and I think the street ended at Sacre Coeur.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Thanks Rob ..I ve been up there about half a dozen times and I like it a lot more than the area around the Eiffel tower . Not really concerned just a good heads up . We are staying in a friends apartment in the Marais area . Lucky we are having great weather ...no rain and most days have been sunny .

dogstarnyc

SUCCESS...!!!!
As I write this I'm on the Eurostar heading back to Blighty with all my recovered gear...!!!

Police were fine and Nikon will now service everything and make sure it's ok...

Nice Christmas gift ..

Steve