The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon V1, Ft-1 Adapter and Surf Event

Today I shot the final day of the Billabong Pipe Masters surf event with the Nikon V1, Ft-1 adapter and 300/4 lens.
This gave me the equivalent of an 810mm lens.
I must say the combo worked very well.
Rather than inserting images I am including a slideshow link.
FYI, the wide angle shots are with the Ricoh GR.
Hopefully this will warm up those suffering a bit of cold weather.
Sorry for the bikini images, but there was a some downtime between heats and - oh well.
Enjoy.

Slideshow of Surf Event

bradhusick

I am surprised and delighted every time I pick up the V1. It's a far under-appreciated camera. The 18.5mm f/1.8 lens is a great match for it too.

You're apologizing for the bikini shots? Please post more of the gal in the red bikini. :)

Very nice work.

Thanks Dustbak, Jorgen, Brad, Steen and Fons.
Definitely a fun event to photograph and great light from beginning to end.
Fons, most surf photographs use a tripod but I used a monopod and Kirk plate on the 300 f/4.
Brad, The 18.5 is a super lens and I do have more of the girl in the red bikini which I may post later.

You're apologizing for the bikini shots? Please post more of the gal in the red bikini. :)

Very nice work.
A couple of years ago I did a photoshoot with the gal in the red bikini.
Her name is Jocelyn and she is a lovely girl.
Brad, per your request here are a few more images for you.
All with the lowly Nikon V1, ft-1 adapter and 300 f/4 lens.

No offense Joe butt the bikini image stands out. :):thumbs:
And for you as well Vivek.

jonoslack

Hi Joe
Excellent series - the V1 hovers around the edge of my ideas - it's done a grand job here.
I'm with everyone else - the surf shots are impressive and fine . . . .but the bikini shots brightened up our drab winter weather too!

jonoslack

. . . . Joe - If I get a Nikon 1 V1 will I be able to take bikini shots like these ;)
. . . . Brad - perhaps you could chip in

On a more serious note I was having a little peek at the v1 and v2 - the v1 is going for really stupid money at the moment . . . . . . and it looks like it's probably better than the v2 anyway.

Opinions? it seems like an interesting little camera.
Which other lenses are worth grabbing?

Thanks in advance - sorry to be off topic

bradhusick

Jono,

The V1 actually is the better camera - the fewer pixels make better photos. Pick one up right now. You won't regret it. The battery lasts forever, the camera is made like a tank. Buy one of the Fotodiox grips for it - great design and cheap. Put some gaffers tape over the dumb wheel on the back so you don't accidentally spin it. Just set it to photo and forget it. The 18.5mm lens (50mm equiv) is compact and lovely, and with no zoom to use the camera becomes an ideal traveling companion. This lens focuses down to 0.7 feet. I leave mine set to 15 frames per second and usually squeeze off 3-5 frames to compensate for blinking eyes. Works like a charm. ISO 3200 is no problem for this camera, so I leave it there. There are almost no situations that ISO 3200 and f1.8 can't handle without a flash (which I don't own anyway). The bokeh is not anything close to a larger sensor camera, but c'est la vie.

There's something about a $300 camera that just screams "take me with you and don't worry about me" that gives you a sense of freedom in photography. It's quite refreshing after having lots of expensive gear.

Brad has certainly given you good advice Jono. The V1 focuses as fast as a DSLR and produces images comparable to a Nikon D200 in a relatively small body. It uses the same battery as the D800 and without VR, lasts forever. Metering is top notch. The other great advantage is the FT-1 adapter which allows Nikon lenses to attach with a 2.7 crop. My 300mm lens became 810mm with no light loss. Amazing.

The weaknesses include poor user interface, spotty design and noisy images. These are offset by the camera having great metering and the noise is pleasantly grainy. Basically you sacrifice some IQ for speed, accurate metering and telephoto reach in a small package.

The other problem with the camera is you will want to add lenses and perhaps the adapter so costs will go up. A nice kit is the 10/2.8 (27mm equivalent), 18.5/1.8 (50mm) and 30-110 (80-300mm). If you can buy one cheap worth a try IMHO.

Sorry, bikini not included.

Last edited:

jonoslack

Jono,

The V1 actually is the better camera - the fewer pixels make better photos. Pick one up right now. You won't regret it.
Thank you Brad
I'm certainly thinking about it - it sounds like an interesting option, but rather hinges on whether I head back in the Nikon direction generally (which I am considering, but still worried about yellows!).

all the best