Site Sponsors

Thread: Using Nikon s Auto Focus Adjustment

Post Thanks / Like

Using Nikon s Auto Focus Adjustment

After setting up my brand new Nikon Df I mounted the new 58/1.4AF lens and started to test the camera calibration . For an AF lens I used the menu setting that allows you to adjust for each lens .

+20 was not really enough to move the focus back so I used the default adjustment to add another +15 . It appears that you can calibrate the camera body as well as the lens . I think this maybe a problem going forward .

The default value is also used to adjust the focus confirmation for manual lenses.

The good news is that the screen appears to be dead on manual focusing using the screen works well .

My guess is that the camera needs to be repaired or sent back to B&H . Am I missing something here ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Using Nikon s Auto Focus Adjustment

Roger,

Are you saying your screen is good for manual with the +15 generic offset? If so, then it sounds like your sensor calibration for your body is off and should go back to Nikon. It is my understanding that the generic offset is NOT additive to the individual lens offsets, but will of course work for MF and other non-chipped or not-calibrated lenses.

I do set individual calibration offsets for my MF PCE lenses as an example.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

The screen focusing isn t affected by the offset …its the focus point confirmation . The screen and the sensor appear to be calibrated correctly …if its sharp on the screen its in focus .

I need to test the body with another lens .

I didn t think the default was additive either but it appears to be .

Post Thanks / Like

Jack you are correct..the default is not additive . Looks like I can get close with a +15 adjustment . What is surprising is that the same lens on the D800E is dead on . Tomorrow I will try some additional lenses as well as my manual focus calibration . Thanks for the help.

Shooting the Df next to the D800E ..is a very very tough comparison .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I definitely would not draw any conclusions with a single lens, especially one a softish as the 58/1.4 is wide open.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."