The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D800 sensor cleaning

Jeffg53

Having just discovered that my old Arctic Butterfly has died, I'm wondering what the cleaner of choice is for the D800. With the Hasselblad, the occasional go with a blower was all that I ever needed. I'm hoping that is all the Nikon will need. Before, I race off and buy another one, I'm seeking advice. So far, dust hasn't been a problem.

Jeffg53

Thanks Rob. I'm such a klutz that I would never use wet cleaning. I make a mess cleaning filters so I'm just not going there on a sensor.

JohnBrew

When needed I use a Lens Pen. So far with the D800, if I have a speck of something on the sensor, turning the camera off and on several times and allowing the sensor shake to do it's thing has worked.

Jeffg53

Thanks John. Now I feel really stupid. I hadn't discovered that feature. My Olympus does a sensor shake at start-up, I didn't know that the D800 could do it too.

And now, having set the body to clean at startup and shutdown, I'm a very happy camper.

Last edited:

weinschela

Subscriber Member
I've had my D800E for a year and a half and have never had to clean the sensor. The self-cleaning routine works very well.

brewercm

Wet cleaning is really not tough at all and a huge money savings in the long run as its really hard to mess up anything to the point of un-fixable. That said I haven't had to wet clean my D800 yet but several times on my D600 to get past the initial oil splatter, but that is now under control.

Just my .02

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
After about a year I have to clean my D800E since it has a spot that won't self-clean. Haven't gotten around to it yet, so not sure if it needs a wet clean or just a puff of air. But even if it's a wet clean that's still a pretty damned good record IMO.

Sparky16

No one should be afraid of "Wet Cleaning". I was the same way, but it's pretty hard to damage your sensor if you have proper tools and follow instruction.

I use "Copperhill method" mentioned above, but I also use sensor swabs when it's needed.